Visiting for a possible relocation this fall...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello from Florida. I am Alphonso. I would like to know what I need to know about moving to the DR. I am ready to do so, but I have never been there. Hit me with everything you got!

Hi:

First, why the DR? What are your interests? It is an expensive process to move here permanently. You will need to apply for residency. That will cost you about $1200-1500usd. That process starts in the US where you will need to get your documents together. Go to a Dominican consulate and find out what you will need. Come to the DR and visit. Rent for a few months and check it out. The cost of living is not cheap. Some things are very reasonable like fruits and vegetables, grown here but as a whole food is not inexpensive. Electricity costs are higher and in some places no very reliable. Buying a car, used or new is much more expensive than in the US and Gas is around $6usd per gallon. Housing can be reasonable but most people coming from the US, who want a certain level of conveniences, which they are used to, will not find a condo or apartment as cheap as people are telling you on this site. Also, the number 1 priority when looking for housing is security. In your case as a single guy you want a condo that has 24hour security and you can lock up and go. You don't want the problems of owning a house and maintenance and security that comes with that. There are many nice beach communities in the DR. Let us know what you are thinking and we can give you some direction. Good luck.

Bonairelisa

Jul 10, 2012
Not sure where Derfish lives, but that is cheap rent, I pay 20,000 pesos, about $470, for a 2 bedroom apartment in Santo Domingo, also no airconditioning.

Aug 6, 2006
You can edit your posts, and there is a spell checker built into this program. If a word appears underlined in red, it has been flagged as misspelled. Put the cursor over it and hit the right mouse button.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Higher

If you move to the beach, you will have the tourists!

...and higher humidity, higher temperatures, higher land prices, salitre,.... :tired:

We live on a higher altitude (about 1,000 ft. MSL) and that's good. :classic:

donP

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
So you are also saying the DR is a nice place to visit but don't move here.

For some, the DR is wonderful. However more times then not, many people that move here without doing their homework and experiencing the DR first-hand, leave 6 months later disheartened and have to pick up the pieces of their lives that they left in the states. Bottom line is that the DR or the Caribbean as a whole isn't right for everyone. Do your homework and have a plan before you take the plunge.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
This is easy.. stay in Florida where you are.comfortable and know what to expect from the other people living there.. everything you.wanted to know about moving to the DR can be summarized in three words. DON'T DO IT..

I can't agree with that. I moved here from my country and am very glad I did. Some people love it here, some hate it. As others have said, come here and rent for six months, travel around and see where you like. Only then will you know if the DR is right for you.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
In a third world country $5000 makes you a king, maybe the OP wants to be a king ;)
OP why the DR and not any of the hundreds of better destinations in the world?
You have never been here before, did you have a vision about the DR?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Thanks DerFish, I was starting to think all I was gonna hear was "don't do it!" I am secure financially and I said the same to my people about leaving Florida. My Spanish sucks. My pension is 60K. AC is available "right?"

The only thing that makes this place livable for me is A/C. 24-7 A/C. I keep my place like a meat locker, but it costs.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Premature Baby

Hello from Florida. I am Alphonso. I would like to know what I need to know about moving to the DR. I am ready to do so, but I have never been there. Hit me with everything you got!

The first logical step would be to visit the DR and to spend some time living there.
After that interval you will have a better idea if you want to move and of what is necessary.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
now come on........... you can't have ALL the 5.... 2 or 3 but you'll limit the cerveza intake......

Deal?

and he takes to the Pizza Joint in RSJ twice a month -- say hello to Lucy for me!!:lick:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't want or need all 5. :)

He could help with the maid, the pool boy, the gardener, the driver, the security guard, the window cleaners, the bartender, the chef and some kid named Raphael who runs to the local colmado to get me smokes when I run out. Lot's of room on the inmuebles. <wink wink>

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Bermuda and some of the Caribbean islands may be nice but so many lack character and culture. It's like one large resort. If that's what u r looking for, fine. The DR has it's problems but it's def much more difficult to get bored in it. It offers a lot of different types of scenery and experiences for being such a small country. U will live comfortably there. But def rent and travel around so that u can see where it makes sense for u to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk