Visiting for a possible relocation this fall...

INsearchOF

Apr 23, 2014
Well my advise to the O.P.
1- spend a month here in the off season. If you still like the thought of living here then rent again in the high season.
2- don't get a Dominican girl friend. Spend you time solo and learn about the island at your pace.
3- Don't buy, even if you love it here. ( That's coming from a owner) With rent so cheap as a retiree it isn't in your best intrest. Imho
4- travel the island. Find that spot That's fits you. Its a fanstic island.
5- Think about splitting you retirement between Florida and D.R.. Why does it have to be one place or the other.
6- Be easy going and open minded and accept the D.R. for what it is. It will make your time in country easier.
7- Take baby steps, go slow
I wish you all the best and congrats on your early retirement.

drescape24

Thanks for the tips drescape24

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Have been to Bermuda and to Hilton Head…

Bermuda is nice, with lovely beaches all around… but boring.
Hilton Head is golf courses and residential living… again boring.

In the DR you can have the drama of the landscape -- from deserts, to high mountains, beaches with waves or no waves, with lots of people or no people… The world is living here, so there are small hotels and restaurants with international flavour… There is the challenge of helping people, volunteering, and making things better. There is driving where you have to think and stay alert -- that is good for the brain!

Why not recommend Haiti? Its a lot cheaper and for sure not boring!!

Nature is wonderful! mountains and beautiful beaches! friendly people as well! Plenty of opportunities to volunteer!

and did I mention it is not boring!

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Takes $1500 minimum to live here and that is with basic life. No air conditioning, and the days are as warm as S FL.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Are you arguing with yourself in these last pair of posts?
My social security is under $1000 a month and I eat meat every day, no air conditioning, but will not live without having a car and driving where I wish to go. My lady earns less than $100.00 a month and don't drink much or party much, but we do make it thru.
Der Fish

One of the days I am going to buy you a beer and make you divulge your financial secrets. We spend way more on day to day living here than we did in the US, and have less to show for it. It is ridiculous.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
No i hit reply with a quote and it came up as 2 separate posts... I typed it in one post. I hope it counted for 2 so that I can obtain my life long dream of gaining access to the off topic forum.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
One of the days I am going to buy you a beer and make you divulge your financial secrets. We spend way more on day to day living here than we did in the US, and have less to show for it. It is ridiculous.

I should probably start by not offering to buy strangers beer! Right?

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
It can be cheaper than Florida if you adapt. Like buying american products can be more expensive than local stuff. Eating out is wayyy cheaper as long as you stay away from the fancy restaurants and the frituras (that thing is addictive) just kidding. You can find a 3 bedroom apartment for $300 or less in nice area of Santiago. And thats unfurnished, a furnished one can go from $600 usd to $2000 usd depending on your needs.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
welcome to DR1..You will find lots of opinions & advice here!! Best advice is to rent first.. Explore and get a feel for different locales. This country is diverse and beautiful.We rented 3 months.. went back to Canada.. sold/stored the rest and were back
less than 5 months later. Lucky for us same house in our gated community was still available..we are minutes from beach/airport /Puerto Plata. There are some rental apartments/houses here if you are interested. Get out and explore!!! Learn Spanish..mine is slowly improving. Reading some of the jaded comments on here makes me wonder why a lot of people still live here??
We have been spending 2-4 weeks here since 2001..so made a few friends first!! Like anywhere!!! Yes there are people who will try and take advantage of you..Be guarded but genuine !! Enjoy..

Apr 7, 2014
Are you arguing with yourself in these last pair of posts?
My social security is under $1000 a month and I eat meat every day, no air conditioning, but will not live without having a car and driving where I wish to go. My lady earns less than $100.00 a month and don't drink much or party much, but we do make it thru.
Der Fish

your budget is solely >$1000US? No ancillary income?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Why not recommend Haiti? Its a lot cheaper and for sure not boring!!

Nature is wonderful! mountains and beautiful beaches! friendly people as well! Plenty of opportunities to volunteer!

and did I mention it is not boring!

Actually Haiti is really about twice as expensive as the DR. This is because there are very few public services at all so that most places have to provide their own water and their own generators. Rentals are very expensive in Puerto Prince and have gone up considerably since the earthquake. There are some public transports but they are open gua guas, called Tap Taps, taxis are very expensive.

Yes, I know, you were just kidding and never thought that any foreigner would ever want to live in Haiti. But perhaps you did not know that Haiti was a great tourist destination when Punta Cana was still a sort of jungle?

Aug 6, 2006
The average Haitian gets by on about $1.50 US per day, but that is not a life anyone would choose to live.

There are nice places to vacation in Haiti, but they are just as expensive as the DR.

INsearchOF

Apr 23, 2014
welcome to DR1..You will find lots of opinions & advice here!! Best advice is to rent first.. Explore and get a feel for different locales. This country is diverse and beautiful.We rented 3 months.. went back to Canada.. sold/stored the rest and were back
less than 5 months later. Lucky for us same house in our gated community was still available..we are minutes from beach/airport /Puerto Plata. There are some rental apartments/houses here if you are interested. Get out and explore!!! Learn Spanish..mine is slowly improving. Reading some of the jaded comments on here makes me wonder why a lot of people still live here??
We have been spending 2-4 weeks here since 2001..so made a few friends first!! Like anywhere!!! Yes there are people who will try and take advantage of you..Be guarded but genuine !! Enjoy..
Thank you Katiejay

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
then you better bring it with you. any imporgted liquor is way expensive. You need to devellop a taste for rum. Try the presidente available statesidee. excellent beer.
Mofo, Don't do that to the poor fella, you'll turn him off Presidente forever. Have you tasted the Presidente that's imported stateside? Its pasteurized all to hell, and is good only to cook with. On the other hand, maybe your tastebuds are shot

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Takes $1500 minimum to live here and that is with basic life. No air conditioning, and the days are as warm as S FL.

Unless you don't pay rent. Then $1500. Is enough for my lifestyle. That's cooking at home and air. But that's me.

drescape24

Apr 7, 2014
But there are a plethora of places available that can have you living like a Dutch Ambassador for a monthly budget of $1500. Clearly the smaller cities are most advantageous for that living.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello from Florida. I am Alphonso. I would like to know what I need to.00 know about moving to the DR. I am ready to do so, but I have never been there. Hit me with everything you got!

To start off, if you are on a budget, I know where you can get a room in San Carlos, S.D. for RD 120 per day, that's right, U.S. $3 per day.

Where in FL are you from? I love Miami. Miami is my spot!