Visiting for a possible relocation this fall...

Sep 4, 2012
Clueless as always. Where can I fill up for $3.00 in FL?

Need to know ASAP to take advantage of since I got travels that way in a few weeks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I prefer country over city. Beach is good. You can have the tourist. I envision serenity with a bit of flavor. At 52, I just want to glide through the rest of my years drinking Espiranto Tequila and Corona's or as close to it as possible.

Here it is rum and Presidente. (way better than Corona, at least for me).

As other mentioned, you can do well here. Rent in various locations before your decide. North coast sounds like the best option unless you find you like Punta Cana or other suggested south areas. I would not.

Dudefish

Feb 21, 2006
My advice move and rent a normal sized place at a normal price and you will know quickly if you can adjust .....for me after 12 up and down years the RD beats Florida easy!!! 809-654-1920 Dave

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've got a few things to think about now. What is a good place to start for my first visit?

Someplace near an airport. POP is one place to start and see Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete, Cabrera and on to Las Terrenas.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
As long as you are not planning to go to live in the capital, go for it. Usd5000 is a nice income when you don't have to maintain children.

But soon there will be a girl, soon the girl will have kids, soon he will has kids with the girl and he has to support her family.. thats a lot of money

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Bermuda and some of the Caribbean islands may be nice but so many lack character and culture. It's like one large resort. If that's what u r looking for, fine. The DR has it's problems but it's def much more difficult to get bored in it. It offers a lot of different types of scenery and experiences for being such a small country. U will live comfortably there. But def rent and travel around so that u can see where it makes sense for u to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DR has a lot of culture? If you want culture go to Europe!

Safety might also be an issue.. Read the news about expats being killed.. Doesnt happen much at other islands..

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
"Annie" YES all those, "So Called Tradesmen" do work cheap, but, "You Get What You Pay For"!!!!!!
They often don't :FIX" anything, and you have to call more people until they get it right!

Tradesmen are one thing I find very good value here - once you find good ones. For example, the exhaust pipe was hanging broken off my Mitsubishi and I was expecting to pay a fortune for a new exhaust. The guy welded it back together for 500 pesos and it's still working fine 3 years later! That would never happen in the US or Europe! Here, the culture is not to throw things away if they can be repaired. :)

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
I can't agree with that. I moved here from my country and am very glad I did. Some people love it here, some hate it. As others have said, come here and rent for six months, travel around and see where you like. Only then will you know if the DR is right for you.

Good advice.. Some reason I have a better feeling with Panama and Colombia even when the DR is very beautiful..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Try using, "Cheapgas.com"!
$3.36 in Pensacola, $3.39 in Orlando, $3.46 in Clear Water!!!!!!
Not $3.00, but a Looooooooooooooooong way from the $6.00 in the DR!
"Senor Sabe Todo",....I guess if you can sell "Bananas" to a "Campesino" for 25 pesos, you can afford paying 6 bucks a gallon for gas!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
DR has a lot of culture? If you want culture go to Europe!

Safety might also be an issue.. Read the news about expats being killed.. Doesnt happen much at other islands..

Yes, the DR has a lot of culture. When I say culture, I probably do not mean it the way you took it. Since we are mainly comparing it to Caribbean type islands: my sister lived in Bermuda for about 2-3 years. She was a therapist and her husband an accountant. Great income but bored as hell. Everything is well organized, rules are followed, etc. When I visited, I felt it lacked a sense of culture...meaning character. It was like everything was designed for foreigners to enjoy. No sense of self if you will. DR may have it's problems but usually when you are there, you are reminded you are in a foreign country...some of those very 'problems' are what define it as well..some dont like it, others appreciate it. Bermuda for example: it's like every palm tree was planted strategically. The DR is more natural, a bit more spontaneous, a bit crazy...sometimes too crazy yes but still it has character and identity. It has it's music, customs, pride, sport teams, beliefs, etc. It's not to say you can't complain about certain things and just never understand it, but if you are a foreigner who is able to appreciate all that and not expect his/her country's way is the best way, if you are the type to appreciate the country for what it's worth given the good and bad, then the DR might just be a good place for you.

The killing of expats is not common in the DR...I don't think that's a good enough reason to discard it given how rare it is.

The DR is not for everyone but it's worth giving it a chance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I like your explanation...

Bermuda is for the birds....... very inbred, in a 'real' sense.
They're all intermarried and over socialized....

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
"Annie" YES all those, "So Called Tradesmen" do work cheap, but, "You Get What You Pay For"!!!!!!
They often don't :FIX" anything, and you have to call more people until they get it right!
As far as "RENT" is concerned, it IS cheaper here than SOME cities in the USA, but not ALL!
You want a 3 bedroom SAFE gated condo complex in Orlando,with a pool, clubhouse, EVERYTHING, $500 a month will "Get Er Done"!
(Check,"Rent.com)
And your electric bill might be $100 a month, a good car $5,000, and the gasoline to run it, $3.00 a gallon, not $6.00!
FREE FIRST WPRLD HEALTH CARE!

"Lo Barato Sale Caro" here in the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the OP lives in FL and is asking about relocating, right? So clearly FL ,.,, is what he is not loving, right? As in stip malls and traffic and flat and the US?

Sure, true, my sister just bought a condo in FL for under $30k .. really because she has to work and could not buy one outright here in SD for the price. But some people just want to live OUTSIDE America.. right?

I mean, you do, right?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Dream" the "THINGS" that make the DR a fun, exciting, and "Different" place to VISIT, are not so "Fun","Exciting", and/or "Different" when you live here 24/7/365!!!!!!
Loud music at 2 am is "FUN" when you are dancing on your vacation, NOT when you need some sleep before going to work!
The "DR BULL$HIT" can get "OLD" really fast when there is no escaping from it!
EVEN the "Dominicanos" could use a little less "EXCITEMENT" once in a while!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You don't miss living in a "Civilized Country" UNTIL you DON'T!!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
When I first rented here, a German advised me that you have to check out a place three times, once in the daytime to see it and hear the traffic, once when it is raining to see the leaks in the roof, and once at 1 in the morning to hear the noise from the colmado and see the cockroaches.. good advice.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
"Dream" the "THINGS" that make the DR a fun, exciting, and "Different" place to VISIT, are not so "Fun","Exciting", and/or "Different" when you live here 24/7/365!!!!!!
Loud music at 2 am is "FUN" when you are dancing on your vacation, NOT when you need some sleep before going to work!
The "DR BULL$HIT" can get "OLD" really fast when there is no escaping from it!
EVEN the "Dominicanos" could use a little less "EXCITEMENT" once in a while!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You don't miss living in a "Civilized Country" UNTIL you DON'T!!!!

CCCC, nobody said it would be a permanent thing. Last I noticed, the airport offered departures as well as arrivals. Although your lifestyle of supporting a small village of folks is far different than what the OP has envisioned, your budgets are about the same. Suffice to say if you can feed, clothe, properly house and educate 10 folks on 5-6k/month, he should be just fine as a single person.

To the OP, I'd suggest you follow Mountainannie's advice, and take your time seeing the island. After identifying the ideal place to start, rent and stay there for a few months at a time to get acclimated. There's no rule that requires you to live anywhere 24/7/365.

If and when I move to the Caribbean, it'll likely be snowbirding over the winters, and a few weeks here and there otherwise. As much as I'd enjoy an overseas experience, I wouldn't want to feel detached from my starting with my family and friends and the things I love to do stateside.

In terms of figuring out your budget, here's a good place to start: http://dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have told my friends, and EVERYONE else, THAT, until you actually LIVE in the DR, 24/7/365, you really can't KNOW what it's like to LIVE HERE!
I'm not insulting you, or putting you down, or ANYTHING negative, you just really can't know!
3,4, or even 6 months a year here, then going back to "Civilization is NOT the same as living here and dealing with the trials & tribulations of "LIFE" every day, & nights too!
I am not saying don't come, and I DIDN'T, just telling it as I see it!
"Forewarned Is Forearmed"!
Everyone can make their own choices.
I HAVE lived, worked, and am raising my family here in the DR, going on 28 years since my first visit, and 19 since my permanent move!!!!
"Visiting", is NOT "LIVING" here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hey CCCCCologne,
don't misunderstand these questions, or overthink them.

I bet that when people ask about moving here they have no intention of the 24/7/365 game.

RD is my principal residence - I can stay for 6 months at a time or less..... I never contemplate 24/7/365 and i suspect most others don't either.

Now, when I get to your age, my sight is failing, I'm slightly unsteady on my feet and I have outlived my dick....
I may be need to readjust the compass.

What could be nicer than to have a bevy of enfermeras fluttering around me to make me comfortable in final days??

Until then, I'll slide in and out (to use your analogy) happily!!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I have told my friends, and EVERYONE else, THAT, until you actually LIVE in the DR, 24/7/365, you really can't KNOW what it's like to LIVE HERE!
I'm not insulting you, or putting you down, or ANYTHING negative, you just really can't know!
3,4, or even 6 months a year here, then going back to "Civilization is NOT the same as living here and dealing with the trials & tribulations of "LIFE" every day, & nights too!
I am not saying don't come, and I DIDN'T, just telling it as I see it!
"Forewarned Is Forearmed"!
Everyone can make their own choices.
I HAVE lived, worked, and am raising my family here in the DR, going on 28 years since my first visit, and 19 since my permanent move!!!!
"Visiting", is NOT "LIVING" here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I think we're in agreement (sort of).

First, despite all the issues, you've stayed for almost 30 years. You could've left, and transplanted your family to roughly the same QOL in Jacksonville or maybe Pensacola, but chose to stay. I know the DR is far from perfect, but honestly, what place is. You regularly say how bad the country is, but what a man does speaks volumes.

Second, I AGREE that visiting ain't the same as staying, which is why I'm a long-time advocate of snowbirding. All the fun, with comparatively little of the FUBAR. And it seems a bit illogical to get "unstuck" in one locale only to get "stuck" someplace else.

The OP admitted to having not been to DR before. He's a long way from DR naturalization. Give him some pointers on how to familiarize himself with the country and lifestyle, and then hope he has the good sense to take his time, wherever he goes.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Bermuda, Hilton Head?

If you have $5,000 US a month, go someplace NICE!!!!!
Bermuda?
Maui?
"Hilton Head"?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Have been to Bermuda and to Hilton Head?

Bermuda is nice, with lovely beaches all around? but boring.
Hilton Head is golf courses and residential living? again boring.

In the DR you can have the drama of the landscape -- from deserts, to high mountains, beaches with waves or no waves, with lots of people or no people? The world is living here, so there are small hotels and restaurants with international flavour? There is the challenge of helping people, volunteering, and making things better. There is driving where you have to think and stay alert -- that is good for the brain!

My suggestion would be to make a plan to live six months to a year in different places of the country to get the feel for the place, and then decide. When you are in one place, you can always travel to another. Living in Santo Domingo puts you in the center of the country, easily accessible to visit any of the vacation destinations. It also gives you the best cultural life. You can have quiet in the city if you work around not going out on peak school, work or shopping times.

It all will depend what you want from a retirement? who is coming with you. How quiet do you want to live? US$5,000 a month is a good income, but it will all depend on how you manage yourself. Money here can go fast.