Visiting for a possible relocation this fall...

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
They say don't do it, all the while living here and partaking of the things the DR has to offer
Friendly people most of all...it's a good thing DR has it's hiccups otherwise we'd be stacked
one on top of the other here..those that wan't to leave, then by all means :)

Enjoy your time in DR InSearchOf

Sep 4, 2012
If you have $5,000 US a month, go someplace NICE!!!!!
Bermuda?
Maui?
"Hilton Head"?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Oxymoron!

None of those places can be had with 5K unless one becomes a waitress and settle to live with the native chopos. 5K in Maui? ROFLMAO!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hello from Florida. I am Alphonso. I would like to know what I need to know about moving to the DR. I am ready to do so, but I have never been there. Hit me with everything you got!

Ok two things.. do you speak Spanish and are you African American and are you straight? You don't have to answer on the Boards but the life here will be very different for you depending on your answers. There is a lot of white skinned privilege here and it is a Spanish speaking island. So if you are dark skinned, (I am just picking on on Alphonso.. cause the only guy I know named Alphonso, is from Florida and is AA! so i may be completely off track) you may have a harder time here than you would.. for instance, in Jamaica,, which is probably not that much further than here by air. Although, I do hear from a Jamaican friend that it is more expensive. So there is that.

So you could also be Spanish orgin, in which case, YEAH, this is the place for you,,, really,, if you have the language you will be fine. Actually quite excellent with 5k as others have said.

As for gay, I only put that in because I have a lot of gay friends who come down here to visit for three and four months.. And I do not know how it is for them in places other than the Capital. But here in the Capital, things are cool.

You will certainly get more bang for your buck here than in Florida.

ok. be prepared for the garbage. There is lots of garbage on the streets. You might think from that the Dominicans are dirty people. They are not. They are actually quite impeccable in their personal higene and inside their homes. It is just that they seem to think that the State should pick up the garbage .. and it does not seem to.

The dogs.. there are lots of stray dogs. Try not to think of them as homeless. Try thinking of them as FREE dogs. Unlike the prisoner dogs who have to be walked on leashes.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Well my advise to the O.P.
1- spend a month here in the off season. If you still like the thought of living here then rent again in the high season.
2- don't get a Dominican girl friend. Spend you time solo and learn about the island at your pace.
3- Don't buy, even if you love it here. ( That's coming from a owner) With rent so cheap as a retiree it isn't in your best intrest. Imho
4- travel the island. Find that spot That's fits you. Its a fanstic island.
5- Think about splitting you retirement between Florida and D.R.. Why does it have to be one place or the other.
6- Be easy going and open minded and accept the D.R. for what it is. It will make your time in country easier.
7- Take baby steps, go slow
I wish you all the best and congrats on your early retirement.

drescape24

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Oxymoron!

None of those places can be had with 5K unless one becomes a waitress and settle to live with the native chopos. 5K in Maui? ROFLMAO!

Yea, granted I have three kids, but $5k HERE doesn't leave much wiggle room. My food/booze/gas bill is about $2,500 a month

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you own a home/condo, in "Bermuda", "Maui", or "Hilton Head" $5,000 a month in "Walking Around Money" should be OK!
AND, you can take "Loooooooooon Walks" too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That point of order must have slipped Raphael's mind. I'll talk to him when he returns with my "genuine Cuban Cohibas".

They say don't do it, all the while living here and partaking of the things the DR has to offer
Friendly people most of all...it's a good thing DR has it's hiccups otherwise we'd be stacked
one on top of the other here..those that wan't to leave, then by all means :)

Enjoy your time in DR InSearchOf

Would you rather we lie and say it is the cheapest best place to live? It certainly is neither!
I don't understand people who only want to say the great things about this Country, do you not care about the people who may ruin there lives moving here?!

Sep 4, 2012
If you own a home/condo, in "Bermuda", "Maui", or "Hilton Head" $5,000 a month in "Walking Around Money" should be OK!
AND, you can take "Loooooooooon Walks" too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You shall take advantage of this and take a loooooooooooong walk out of this misery. Leave us all peasants to continue to suffer.

OP,

Come and test the waters, you may or may not like it, only you can decide. 5K here, will give you pleasures/headaches you would only dream of in FL....... :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Couldn't agree more!! If I had $5000 a month no way would I be living here! So many other nice places in the world or Caribbean!

Actually I wonder where you go? In Tortola, for instance, a burger is about $15. In Martinique a tomato is $5. $5k will provide a solid life here, with enough money for trips back and forth, and good medical coverage, and even perhaps a trip to South America or Europe. But it will hardly get you by in Bermuda, or Maui, or Hilton Head.. or the British Virgins, or the French, or.. well, even Jamaica is more expensive. You have to really go to Ecuador.. maybe Argentina.. or Colombia as I am hearing things now, to get much cheaper than here. Could be wrong, ,,, things change.. but that is what I hear. Of course, the far east is much cheaper but the languages are harder.

Actually I wonder where you go? In Tortola, for instance, a burger is about $15. In Martinique a tomato is $5. $5k will provide a solid life here, with enough money for trips back and forth, and good medical coverage, and even perhaps a trip to South America or Europe. But it will hardly get you by in Bermuda, or Maui, or Hilton Head.. or the British Virgins, or the French, or.. well, even Jamaica is more expensive. You have to really go to Ecuador.. maybe Argentina.. or Colombia as I am hearing things now, to get much cheaper than here. Could be wrong, ,,, things change.. but that is what I hear. Of course, the far east is much cheaper but the languages are harder.

I just would think with $5000 a month someone would want to live somewhere a bit nicer but you are right I am not sure that many other places you could live as well as you can here with that amount!
I am sure my frustration with the cost here comes a lot from living beachfront.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
They are many better options out there to live than the DR especially, with 5K, It's not only about living expenses the DR is not a very cheap country to import cars and electronics Etc. No reliable electricity and running water just to name a few...

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
They are many better options out there to live than the DR especially, with 5K, It's not only about living expenses the DR is not a very cheap country to import cars and electronics Etc. No reliable electricity and running water just to name a few...

Honestly, that is kinda where I am at. The only thing that is really 'cheap' here is the rent. Everything else is expensive! I may be better off paying higher rent to live on an island that doesn't nickel and dime me to death, and has reasonable public services. If such a place exists!

INsearchOF

Apr 23, 2014
Honestly, that is kinda where I am at. The only thing that is really 'cheap' here is the rent. Everything else is expensive! I may be better off paying higher rent to live on an island that doesn't nickel and dime me to death, and has reasonable public services. If such a place exists!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've got a few things to think about now. What is a good place to start for my first visit?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you like "City Life", you have two choices, Santo Domingo, or Santiago.
"SD" is much closer the beaches, Santiago is closer to the "Countryside",..."Campo", and still only a little over an hour to the North Coast.
If you want the beach, I suggest the North Coast.
On the "NC" you have bigger towns such as "Puerto Plata", or smaller towns like "Sosua", Cabarete, and Costamber.
Quieter beach towns like "Samana", or "Las Terrenas".
"Casa de Campo", and the "Cap Cana" are up scale areas to consider as well.
Rent for a week where ever you start, and move on from there.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
To narrow your first choice, let us know what your wants/needsare for a place to start.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

Perhaps. There is no where in the Caribbean that is cheaper than here, I do not think, perhaps Trinidad but none of the little islands, and they are all sand spits compared to here and all will have the same issues with water and electricity sometimes

Plus there are other considerations such as whether or not one feels at home here. I do, I did not in Mexico, which would be my second choice. Or Costa Rico, my third. But this place is much closer to American than those.. I feel closer to home, as if I am in a barrio of Nuevo York.

Yes, the rent is the big think that is cheaper. But there is also the maid, the plumber, the electrician and all the doctors, and the pharmeceuticals which are available without prescription. Food, except the imported beef and cereal and peanut butter, I find about the same. But I have been gone for ten years now.

And then there is the weather.., of course, perhaps not so much different from Florida where the OP is. But in the Trades which Central America does not have.

I spent a few months in Mexico, ditto Costa Rico and Guatemala, Australia, and even Tahiti, but you cannot stay there unless you are French and wow is THAT expensive.. and even Australia, plus a year in Grenada and Puerto Rico,, all in planning my exit strategy from the US,, and I came here.

Any place that is cheap.. is cheap for a reason, usually from lack of state services.

So perhaps there are better options for 5k.. I just do not know where. And the OP did ask about here, right?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if he doesn't like it here........ he can practically swim back to FL

my guess is it'll be a split -- dual, dueling residences

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've got a few things to think about now. What is a good place to start for my first visit?

Can you tell us more what it is that you are insearchof? then we can tell you where to start?

Well, actually, If I were to actually start over,, I would rent a car for a month and just drive the entire island. That is about what it takes to see the entire thing head to toe, west to east.. poke about.. stop here and there.. it is much bigger than it looks. It has really high mountains and below sea level lakes. There are precious little almost undiscovered places on the South Coast.. like Paraiso.. and also almost wilderness on the east, like Miches..

I would get as many of the guide books that you can.. ok, skip Fommers, but get Lonely Planet and the Moon Guide. and fly into SD and head WEST.., see the South first because few people even get there.. and then the mountains.. and up even to Dajabon and Monte Christi.. along the North Coast to Las Terrenas and Las Galeras.. down to Miches and Punta Cana, Higuey

check out Santiago and Santo Domingo.

You can do the entire place in a month.. maybe even three weeks. And you will appreciate how vast it is and how beautiful.

And then, when you pick a place to stay, you will not have this sense of ,, gee, i wonder if I should have gone to the mountains, instead?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Annie" YES all those, "So Called Tradesmen" do work cheap, but, "You Get What You Pay For"!!!!!!
They often don't :FIX" anything, and you have to call more people until they get it right!
As far as "RENT" is concerned, it IS cheaper here than SOME cities in the USA, but not ALL!
You want a 3 bedroom SAFE gated condo complex in Orlando,with a pool, clubhouse, EVERYTHING, $500 a month will "Get Er Done"!
(Check,"Rent.com)
And your electric bill might be $100 a month, a good car $5,000, and the gasoline to run it, $3.00 a gallon, not $6.00!
FREE FIRST WPRLD HEALTH CARE!

"Lo Barato Sale Caro" here in the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC