What is required to nullify marriage in DR?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sad situation but having a green card revoked is NOT easy. While there is a list of things green cards can be revoked for those reasons are seldom used. The only common most used reason is if a LPR commits a crime such as drugs, murder, etc...and once their prison time is up then they are almost always deported. Marriage fraud is quite difficult to prove after having children together. Immigration/USCIS will take the info but seldom act on it. Immigration's take on it is you should have done your "homework". Is that always right, no but it is their attitude. The sponsor has basically no rights once the deal is done. The only time I have ever heard of someone having luck getting a green card revoked is when the person had "conditional residence status" (when the marriage is less than 2 years the status of residency is called conditional and you must attend another interview after a period of time to prove that the marriage was in good faith) and when the appointment came to have the conditions removed it was determined that the marriage was a sham and the green card was revoked. But once someone has been granted permanent residence it is almost impossible for the sponsor to have it revoked.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I would let her live in the states with her GC, if she was not willing to take children to DR. She kept saying that she would not keep the children in America, that she would always keep them staying with her parents back in Dominican Republic.

So it looks like you've got your answer, no annulment. Now let's throw this in for something else to think of:

1. You don't control her green card, let it go.

2. Children shouldn't be able to leave the country without other parent's permission. She's likely not putting them on a plane anyway.

3. She probably can't be served legally, because legally the address of the shelter isn't supposed to be disclosed. But battered women's shelters usually aren't designed for long-term stays, so at some point in the near future, they have to transition her out. You need to be ready when that happens. Document, document, document. If she's posting on facebook, copy everything. If she's in a shelter and crazy, we can only imagine what she's saying about you. You've got to be prepared with documentation to prove who the stable one is.

We really wish you the best for the sake of your children, and many unfortunately can share their "been there, done that stories". If that's what you need stick around.

But at this point, in legal terms, you need to get a US attorney to work out the issues with your children, or be creative in finding a solution yourself. While many can sympathize with the whole Dominican angle, her being Dominican really doesn't come into play in terms of how you legally get this mess straightened out.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Ber,

Please post where in FL you are, must of missed it if you did..My dad is retired in Lady Lake/Ocala, know he has a few golfing buddies from around the States, few are law enforcement..Maybe with luck,. there could be some help via the back door so to speak if one is from your area. If not, I'm pretty sure they could put a call in to see a few possibilities...Also my brother in law's step dad was on the job for 35 Years, NY, CT, NJ, FL, before he retired. that dude has a lot of pull!! My brother in law gets pulled over often, has those rich kids toys, drops that name and the cop practically apologizes for stopping him..Serious, let me know where you are, PM me if you like or hit me up again..just thinking about your ordeal quite a bit today, so lets see if we have any luck on your side here..

Ant

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Just been through the thread lightly...... kids drinking from puddles???wtf???

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
The key here is to have her served ASAP. At this point you both have legal custody of the children and she can take the children away from you and anywhere she pleases , as well as you can take them away from her, it's fair game for both, as well as for the assets.

Once she gets served the game stops and you both have to abide by the court order and allow due justice. If she defies the court order and takes the children out of the state or the country, she can be accused of parent kidnapping and if she does not show up to all court dates, she can lose the case and custody of the children.

Forget about the green card unless you can find some very credible proof but, with children involved and post 6 years of marriage, the chances are slim to none.

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Ber,

Please post where in FL you are, must of missed it if you did..My dad is retired in Lady Lake/Ocala, know he has a few golfing buddies from around the States, few are law enforcement..Maybe with luck,. there could be some help via the back door so to speak if one is from your area. If not, I'm pretty sure they could put a call in to see a few possibilities...Also my brother in law's step dad was on the job for 35 Years, NY, CT, NJ, FL, before he retired. that dude has a lot of pull!! My brother in law gets pulled over often, has those rich kids toys, drops that name and the cop practically apologizes for stopping him..Serious, let me know where you are, PM me if you like or hit me up again..just thinking about your ordeal quite a bit today, so lets see if we have any luck on your side here..

Ant

Yeah RIGHT!!! Nobody has more PULL then NBA, NFL players and they get stop and ticketed ALL THE TIME.

If you had stated he was a Senator or Congressman MAYBE he will has some pull, but a civil servant like a cop PLEASE!!!

The only thing cops are good for is asking for "free" food and giving each other hand jobs.

Yeah he has a lot of pull alright " he can PULL his d*ck

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah RIGHT!!! Nobody has more PULL then NBA, NFL players and they get stop and ticketed ALL THE TIME.

If you had stated he was a Senator or Congressman MAYBE he will has some pull, but a civil servant like a cop PLEASE!!!

The only thing cops are good for is asking for "free" food and giving each other hand jobs.

Yeah he has a lot of pull alright " he can PULL his d*ck

Not true.

There's usually a code between brother officers, regardless of jurisdiction and those sports idiots have NO pull and make easy targets of themselves, acting like frat boys on spring break their entire lives.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Not true.

There's usually a code between brother officers, regardless of jurisdiction and those sports idiots have NO pull and make easy targets of themselves, acting like frat boys on spring break their entire lives.

Maybe along time ago this was the case, but in 2013 not a chance. Everywhere you go there are a million camera, and phones ready to take fotos of some sort of injustice. If a family member runs a red light and the camera catches him there is nothing a cop can do for his family member other then pay the ticket for him.

The infamous "BLUE SHEILD OF SILENCE" have taken a backseat to technology and lack of fear for law enforcement. Years ago people were afraid of the "MAN or LAW" but not anymore.

BTW Why would a Chicago cop stick his neck out on the line for a cop in Philly when he has NEVER be to Philly or plan on going??? greydread if a woman drives drunk in Chicago and she is the daughter of some Florida cop, I promise you she will sit in a Chicago jail.

Once ANYBODY is in the "system" ALL BETS ARE OFF!!! Cop or no cop. American citizens are much better armed to deal with cops breaking the law or doing favors for loved ones.

If that biker cop in NYC was not caught on tape he and his "bothers" would have LIED their asses off, but he was CAUGHT on camera.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
There is nothing wrong with the way you clearly communicate in English. Merely an occasional missed preposition. I wish I could write as well in spanish, which is easier since it is phonetic and uses the same alphabet as english. thirty years ago you emigrated from Russia at about age 27.

Your story is heart wrenching.

You're smart to look here on dr1 since you'll get some good advice from people. I have none to offer you since I can't imagine being in such a situation. But dude, seriously, 57 and what did you say she is...23? three kids since age 19? more or less. Have you considered post-partum health issues? a poor girl who lived in a barn and was victimized by serial abuse? and you are thirty years her senior? Perhaps you should consider yourself the father of FOUR children and HELP this poor woman you took away from her homeland.

I've never been harsh before on dr1. you take the cake!

Congratulations on your three children at your advanced age. Please stay alive so I don't end up paying for them.

I was born in Russia. I am naturalized American for 30 years. I am sorry for my writing style. I am thinking about my children now.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
We need to talk...DO NOT!! allow her to grow a brainstem!! and to hit Social Services!! they will come right at you for child support..If She gets that, your life will be over and here is why, LIE!!! I went through this bro, reason why I am here no in the DR..Was my first DOM Woman, met in the States, also have 3 kids with her...When I became SSID, had to wait about 6 Months for approval..I gave her money from my Unemployment checks, 250.00 a week! When we got to court, She lied, never gave her anything for 3 Years!! So, she also added 2 more Years..Well, I didn't have any receipts, paid cash,,,The Judge will not care! I was held to the tune of over 70,000 in arrears and I'm still paying making payments each Month today.,.Again, do not allow her to get there whatever you do...She may not know about that, and if you are supporting her or the kids now, write a check! OR HAVE HER SIGN some kind of a payment sheet for the record..

All that said, did you get my PM...Its on now.,.,

Ant

They are YOUR kids. That's 83 dollars a week per kid. Who do you think made up for the rest of that? Yes I know, you made a gazillion dollars a year and got in an accident. Big Deal! you did what you should have done, the minimum and only under penalty of punishment. Get over it and the mattress and thank your neighbors back home who are paying for your early retirement!!!!

This would be my second harsh post on dr1. but really. ant. come on. you did what you should do and want a medal for it? this guy took advantage of a youn girl and now he is in the shi*&%ter.

You two would make a nice couple.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you> You just changed your mind. OP, you got stuck with a nut. She got stuck with a broke ass russian emigre who is looking for his SS check and now has three young dependent children to look after. Dude, she is in a shelter, already registered in the system. She is all set. She may actually get the help she needs. I do hope you stay focused on those children and give them the best opportunity. Stop trying to annul your marriage as a fraud. you gotta have Clean Hands when you go to court. Yours aren't. I don't know if you had a civil or religious marriage. You want your children to made illegitimate? Selfish!

I seriously doubt if the judge will grant you an annulment. A woman doesn't
just marry a man and produce 3 children and then after 6 years of marriage
just because" she said" is not cause to think that she married only for the green
card because it's obvious that she didn't.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
What does PRA mean? what is ODB?

Not only that, once she got PRA status she didn't need him anymore anyway. They're not going to remove her status unless she commits a felony (or several). The system regards itself as infallible and doesn't lend itself to admission of erroneous judgments.

I'm thinking "WTF was he thinking" over here. There's a world of difference between and ODB tossing a few 20-somethings and keeping it moving and Marrying one and having Babies. By the time they graduate High School he'll be dead. Makes no sense at all.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
You can be guaranteed she has filed everything. when you go to the milkman he sells you milk. The social worker will check off every possible box on the intake form. guaranteed!

Rubia, you might have read wrong. The kids are with her in a shelter. Depending on the shelter she may have already filed claims of abuse to be eligible for extended services. Shelters are safe havens and one needs a court order to enter without permission. Good chance she has support from the staff and funding from the state. As long as she plays by the rules at the shelter she has the upper hand.

Aug 6, 2006
I don't see that he took advantage of her, or that she took advantage of him. She wanted to leave a life of abuse and poverty, and he was lonely. Then she decided that she wanted out, and that means she gets some of his money and he gets nothing but frustration. This is a sad story and I feel sorry for both of them.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I don't see that he took advantage of her, or that she took advantage of him. She wanted to leave a life of abuse and poverty, and he was lonely. Then she decided that she wanted out, and that means she gets some of his money and he gets nothing but frustration. This is a sad story and I feel sorry for both of them.

Exactly. Could happen to anyone....anywhere.....anytime.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Divorce happens all the time in the US even with couples that are from the same country and without age disparity issues. You win some and you lose some just part of life.

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
Wow this is some story. I feel for you. You may also need a check with you lawyer because if you sponsored her to get here to the U.S. and she has no money, YOU have to repay the government for and public assistance she gets I.e welfare .food stamps. I would also get a order of protection and what ever you need to protect yourself.
If she's in Florida maybe you can have her Baker acted. which means they can lock her up if she's a danger to herself

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
BTW..here is some contact info since they never provide a phone number...This was from their email to me from their Sosua office

Guzm?n Ariza
Attorneys-at-Law
20 Pablo Neruda St., Villa Ana Mar?a
Sos?a, Dominican Republic
Tel 1.809.571.2880
Fax 1.809.571.2928

All contact information for the firm, including phone numbers, is in our website, under Locations (Offices Guzman Ariza Law Firm in Dominican Republic).

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ok I have a friend who has a DR drama with a guy.... but holy ****!!!!! This is the chisme of the year. It took me like 45 minutes to read this whole thread. Worst part is I have nothing to offer other than to say sorry about your luck.