Why Dominicans are hated by Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
I never said i was a "thug" and the word "hood" is just short for neighborhood you made all of those assumptions up yourself. Well you also did poorly on showing how "educated" you were you stooped down to the low level buddy

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Joshua R.------------------

After reading your posts on this thread, may I suggest a more amenable course of action to you than the one you have been pursuing.

To begin with, if you are misunderstood, then be gentleman enough to correct the misunderstanding without resorting to invective and sarcasm against the responder.

You will find that manner of response will only dig you a deeper hole. And if you intend to pursue a career in the USAF, or in any otherpublic exposure endeavor, it would be very wise of you to correct your propencity to such manerisms. They just won't fly in that organization, or any other and you will find yourself left out in the cold come promotion and APR/OER time, or any effeciency reporting by other organizations.

I had over 27 years in the "Blue Suit", both as Enlisted and as an Officer, so I feel that what I'm advising you about is true.

Proper and effective use of the English language is but one of the ratings of the overall efficiency of the person being rated. Since "practice make perfect" my advise is to begin that practice as early as possible.

The use of "street language" in correspondence and everyday conversation with your peers and superiors (in rank) is not really acceptable and can become habit-forming over time, to your detriment.

Try to lighten up in responding to commentary of any sort. Maintain your self-discipline and you will gain much by that effort.

Texas Bill

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
true true but i dont care who you are if you come disrespecting me like that i'm not going to show you any mercy when i get you with my come-backs. little miss scandall was acting like a prick so i show him how much of a sissy he is. He made a assumption that im a thug i told him im not and he keeps at it so hey im not going to stand here and take all of that crap just because he thinks he's more of a "gentlemen" than i am

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
he tole you bill yes he done tole you liek he tole lil miss scadal. what u no about hood anyway?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Joshua...Your response to all the great advice given by Texas Bill is "true true". You did not even have the decency to thank him. That tells me what a swell gentlem-A-n you are. You could not even acknowledge the man's long service to country. You find nothing to respect there?

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
yeah well if you understand the meaning of true true you would obviously know that i was agreeing with him on his response. You want some advice ? Look up the word true up in the dictionary

vickat20

Aug 2, 2005
Scandall said:
Joshua,

Please accept my sincere apologies. I had no idea that you were so highly decorated by your Junior ROTC unit. From now on I will think of you when I hear names like Eisenhower, Alexander the Great, Schwarzkopf etc.

You are a beacon of scholarship for all of us to follow.

Scandall
*Was never in Junior ROTC :(
you're a funny, funny man :)

kerby755

Jan 7, 2006
clear

As what I have encountered, whites particularly Americans do not initiate conversations unlike the people of the Carribean and Latin America who are sociable and easy to be with. I think it's the culture of the races that makes people differ from one another. Southeast Asians and the people of the Carribean and Latin America have a lot in common that you may get mistaken who is the Asian and who is the South American.

I am not against white Americans but what I am saying is based on experiences and my friends encounters with white Americans and other nationalities. I hope I'm not offending someone in this forum. Thanks.

kerby755

Jan 7, 2006
clear

As what I have encountered, whites particularly Americans do not initiate conversations unlike the people of the Carribean and Latin America who are sociable and easy to be with. I think it's the culture of the races that makes people differ from one another. Southeast Asians and the people of the Carribean and Latin America have a lot in common that you may get mistaken who is the Asian and who is the South American.

I am not against white Americans but what I am saying is based on experiences and my friends encounters with white Americans and other nationalities. I hope I'm not offending someone in this forum. Thanks.

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Because

Scandall said:
There are only two things that I hate...

1) People who are intolerant of other cultures and people.

2) The French

Scandall

Your my hero in sarcasm, I will let the French thing go, only this time. Boy, that Josh guy, does he ever have a chip on is shoulder or what

Master of diplomacy wanabe, or was it sarcasm

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
bertgilbert said:
Your my hero in sarcasm, I will let the French thing go, only this time. Boy, that Josh guy, does he ever have a chip on is shoulder or what

Master of diplomacy wanabe, or was it sarcasm

Touche!

Le Scandelle

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm about as tall, large, blue-eyed, purebred WASP American as there is, living in the Tampa Bay area. I've traveled to the DR maybe 20 times in my life, and spent over 8 weeks there in 7 trips the last year alone.

My take is this: most non-NY white Americans like me don't even know where the Dominican Republic is, much less dislike Dominicans without reason. They only begin to scrunch up their noses when you tell them it's the place stuck to Haiti. The only Dominicans they are aware of are baseball players who come from "down there somewhere" (a benign indictment of the US public school system. Kids can put a condom on a banana in the dark, but couldn't tell you where Central America is).

Most non-NY/Miami Americans don't really judge Dominicans prior to actually dealing with them. A person stands on their own merits. Invaritably I'm asked, "Americano, si? Nueva York?". Based on how Dominicans treat me, NOT being from NYC is a positive thing. I am consistently treated by Dominicans with respect, a friendly demeanor, and a curiosity about non-NYC America.

I do understand how some Americans have ill-feelings toward Dominicans based solely on the Washington Heights sub-culture. I have never been there, and hear little of it in my isolated Tampa environs, so I have no opinion. But my NYC friends seem to have an altogether different attitude.

One thing for sure: even I have developed a certain disdain for the typical "Dominican Yorks" traveling in the DR with the Hip-Hop Bling thing going on. To me, they are the ones giving America a bad reputation, just as the druggies in Wash. Heights give the fine Dominicans a bad name.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/cobra_boy_FL/domyorks.jpg

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Aha!

"As what I have encountered, whites particularly Americans do not initiate conversations unlike the people of the Carribean and Latin America"

Kerby - I apologize. I believe that I may have misunderstood you. The above quote told me a lot. Is it possible that you mistook a cultural difference for disdain? What I mean to say in regular Josh ROTC English is, I think you got us all wrong homie.

Yes, Crackers do tend not to greet folks easily. And Latin folks find that rude, an intentional slight. It is not so.

When I teach Spanish 101 to adults, I always teach greetings first, and stress to them that in Spanish-speaking culrtures, it is rude not to greet a person. Kinda like growing up down south a million years ago, when I was young.

I appreciate that you made that comment on initiating conversations, now I see where you go the (wrong) idea.

Honkies are just slow to open up, except girls with urgess to wire cash via Western Union............JAJAJA. Me make joke.

Peace!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
You see, it's all been a misinterpretation of the OP's opinion and those were cleared up. The only one that I see here that doesn't understand the point of this thread is Joshua R. I can definitely see him making E-9 :p, yeah friggin' right. Look Joshua, maybe you didn't understand the advice that Texas Bill and others are trying to give to you but I suggest you do. Some self-discipline is definitely in order here. When you read a comment, calm down and don't reply right after you read it, give some thought to what you're going to say and give an educated opinion on the topic. That will help you in the long run, and not just with the website but in school as well.

And before you start commenting on how I'm a "honkie" or "cracker, I was born in Santo Domingo and lived in "hoods" all over NYC, New Jersey, Miami and Santo Domingo so don't get it started with me with your "whatchu know bout the hood" BS, it won't get you too far in life. And don't disrespect the Air Force by publicly stating how high of a rank you have, specially since you've already disrespected 2 retired commissioned officers on this thread, Texas Bill and Scandall. Little kids like you are the ones that the TI's have lots of fun with by making them "Latrine Queen". Wait til you get to Lackland and do the convoy and land navigation courses in Basic Training, let's see how far that attitude will take you.

Jon S.
Former Chow Runner in Basic and proud of it ;)

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Jon S. said:
Little kids like you are the ones that the TI's have lots of fun with by making them "Latrine Queen". Wait til you get to Lackland and do the convoy and land navigation courses in Basic Training, let's see how far that attitude will take you.

Jon S.
Former Chow Runner in Basic and proud of it ;)
The USAF will definitely clean him up, the minute he hops off that bus, or they will wash him out "General Discharge with less than Honorable Conditions" and he does not want that on his record. My old TI used make punk kids clean-up pigeon poop and pick-up cigarette butts around the base.

Ricardo
Former "House Mouse" & "Education Monitor"

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Hehe, all day long you'd hear "Chow Runner, go!!" or Hoouussee Mooouussee, get your a$$ in here" and I've seen TIs pick up the wall lockers full of stuff and throw them down the middle of the bay, these guys were usually maintainers and cops.........and they'll make him go to the 319th TRS and be with all the "pneumonia" recruits......

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
To Joshua R.-----

I'll try, once again, to convey to you the necessity of disciplining yourself in your everyday efforts involving "growing up".

To begin with, the very defensive attitude you have exhibited on this thread leads me to the conclusion that you are on the road to self-destruction if you continue in your present vein of responding to the stimuli of everyday conversation and normal debate.

The world of the "hood" is not the "real world" you will be faced with upon graduation from the school you are presently attending. That "hood" environment is very confined and parochial with reference to the remainder of the world.

In the "real world", to be successful, you will be required to prove your acceptability to the society you are involved with. You will be required to "do your job" (once it has been defined to you ) to the best of your ability and without being told to do so. This is true in both military and civilian societies. You will be required to interact with peers in an amiable and effective manner. You will be required to contribute to the overall well-being of that society through your own efforts. In other words, you will be required to "fit in" or you'll be "left out" of the scheme alltogether.

It is up to you to take advantage of whatever opportunities avail themselves. Nothing is gained unless you personally pursue it through honest effort and performance. Whatever you do, don't get caught up in the "seeking a gimmick" syndrome! That is a one-way street to failure in the long run.

Your success in life will depend solely on you and your individual efforts toward the accomplishment of that end.

I encourage you to read the poem "IF" by Rudyard Kipling in which he describes the requirements of becoming a MAN in the true sense of the word.

I'll leave you with a quote from Shakesphere that best describes one's responsibilities to himself and others.

"Above all else, To thine onself be true"!

Texas Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.