Many questions about the DR :)

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Here is my expected monthly living expenses for when I finally move down there; so that you can compare. I will also have no house/rent payments or car payments. But this is for a family of 4.

Light......$5000
Agua......$800
Cooking Gas......$900
Codetel Flash......$2265
Cable TV......$685
Celular ......$2000
Seguro de Carro......$750
Gasolina/Diesel......$12000
Compra......$15000
Miscellaneous......$1000
Going out w/ Wife......$2000
medicine, doctor visit, and so forth......$2000
Medical Insurance......$5100
House helper......$6000
Security......$800
Car Maintenance......$1500
School......$9000
Diapers......$1600
Clothes......$800
Car Wash......$1000
Hair Dresser/Barber......$1500
Going out w/Family......$2000

Total =>> $73700 / $39 = $1,889US

I would say that you could probably survive on what you expect, but again, don't expect too much. If you budget yourself correctly, and you don't mind not buying a pair of jeans every other week, not eating out everyother day, not changing your cellphone every 2-3 months than you should be fine.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
The posts in this thread have surely given the OP a good idea of what to expect from the forum, not the country. If they are looking for an existence "like in the U.S. only in an exotic developing nation" they of course won't find it here. If they are up for an invaluable life lesson in how other cultures exist, then the experience could be priceless. I wish we had done it 20 years earlier. The adventure has truly opened our eyes, hearts and minds.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Light......$5000
Agua......$800
Cooking Gas......$900
Codetel Flash......$2265
Cable TV......$685
Celular ......$2000
Seguro de Carro......$750
Gasolina/Diesel......$12000
Compra......$15000
Miscellaneous......$1000
Going out w/ Wife......$2000
medicine, doctor visit, and so forth......$2000
Medical Insurance......$5100
House helper......$6000
Security......$800
Car Maintenance......$1500
School......$9000
Diapers......$1600
Clothes......$800
Car Wash......$1000
Hair Dresser/Barber......$1500
Going out w/Family......$2000

Total =>> $73700 / $39 = $1,889US

Here we go with another list... this is so funny!

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
I will say this again you give 58,000RD a month in the DR and I am super RICH!!! No matter what anyone says it is not a lot to do in DR unless your into the club scene. No Walt Disney World, Six Flags, NYC, Las Vegas, Grand Cayon etc. You only can go to the mall so much as well as the beach.

Drinking, listening to music ,watching people play dominos gets OLD fast. One night me my wife and her family went the Malecon to drink and dance, and thats when I knew the DR was not for me as an adult. The same sh*t every week.

The DR is a wonderful place to visit, but living 365 days hanging out with nothing but Dominicans, I have to pass.

Whuahahahaha, I swear to God.. I was thinking the same today.

W. W.

Apr 7, 2012
4) I am an RN with an Associates degree (we are from the US, BTW) and I have strong computer background. I also spent 10+ years in the restaurant business. Do you think I might be able to find any work....any at all, to earn an extra few hundred dollars (US) a month to supplement our income?

That's all I can thinkl of for now. Thank you all in advance for any advice you are able to offer!!

- as a RN...
1. How far is the closet hospital ?
2. How long does it take for the ambulance to respond ( " make a right turn by the coconut tree, turn left...I mean right by the mango tree in the yard with the pink mailbox " )?
3. How much is medical / dental insurance ?
4. What types of medical / dental insurance is offered ?
5. If their is an emergency, how much would a medical vac cost to the continental united states or puerto rico ... and would they accept my dominican insurance ?
6. Should I buy United States based insurance to cover questions 4 and 5 ?

You can get great insight on the price of rice and gasoline on the island, but, i genuinely advise you to do some critical thinking and think outside of the box.

P.S. RN's makes peanuts in the Dominican Republic.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
At a younger age international insurance covering evacuation is not so expensive. First get 1 years travel policy covering everything then firm something up.
Medical services are good in the DR for fairly standard conditions and there are many ambulances that respond quickly.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Wriggle room is meals, very nourishing, for 50 cents a portion - e.g. 3 bean salad with rice. Get a pressure cooker for beans and pulses ( lenitils, peas etc. )

pi2

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
There are many ambulances that respond quickly.

Can you follow that with a useless link? I find this highly inaccurate, boardering on maliciously dangerous.

But you knew that when you posted it. Maybe, for the sake of newbies, Robert can have a separate forum for trolls.

He likes the balance you bring to the site--I think you just up thread counts when people try to correct your delusions.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Medical services are good in the DR for fairly standard conditions and there are many ambulances that respond quickly.

pi2

Roughly translated means Pi2 knows of someone who got patched up once after a paper cut, and he saw an ambulance once with it's lights flashing and sirens on.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Can you follow that with a useless link? I find this highly inaccurate, boardering on maliciously dangerous.

But you knew that when you posted it. Maybe, for the sake of newbies, Robert can have a separate forum for trolls.

He likes the balance you bring to the site--I think you just up thread counts when people try to correct your delusions.

There are two ambulances in LT that I know of attached to 24 hour clinics and operation rooms, fully equiped that provide a rapid service. Its the same in most tourist areas of DR. There are air ambulance services but no that I know of , helicopter ambulance services.
Actually it can take an ambulance 40 or more minutes to reach an incident in the US and other countries.

pi2.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Another Lie

... and there are many ambulances that respond quickly.

Only if you pay cash before they turn the ignition key. And mind you, those are PRIVATE clinics' services.

In Las Terrenas the public hospital has no functioning ambulance.
They were promised another one, after they had ruined two donated by the French community.

donP

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
There are two ambulances in LT that I know of attached to 24 hour clinics and operation rooms, fully equiped that provide a rapid service. Its the same in most tourist areas of DR. There are air ambulance services but no that I know of , helicopter ambulance services.
Actually it can take an ambulance 40 or more minutes to reach an incident in the US and other countries.

pi2.

In DR this service is faster that in the US... Next pickup truck on the road will take the injuries to the hospital.:cheeky:

JJ

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Doa

In DR this service is faster that in the US... Next pickup truck on the road will take the injuries to the hospital.:cheeky:

Not many will do this, because they are normally held by the police as 'involuncrados' and sometimes are held responsible for medical expenses by the family of the injured persons.
I do not understand the logic behind this, but this is how it is.

The ones who do transport the injured on their truck beds try to help, of course.
The way it is done is often the reason why the injured reach the hospital DOA.

donP

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Villa Gonzales a community of a couple hundred thousand people need an AMBULANCE.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ePq0zzCHnh0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They have the training not the equipments.

JJ

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Neither Nor

Villa Gonzales a community of a couple hundred thousand people need an AMBULANCE.

Well, at least they have a fire truck. ;)
So, they are better off than Las Terrenas, where there is no working fire truck (nor ambulance). :ermm:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Medical Services?

Medical services are good in the DR for fairly standard conditions ...

In private clinics this may be the case, although many patients complain that they were overcharged and in various cases not allowed to leave the clinic unless cash is handed over.

This report tells how it is in public hospitals all over the country [there are (a few) exeptions]:
Pacientes denuncian deficiencias en hospital de Salud P?blica | El Soberano :: Versi?n Digital

donP

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
In private clinics this may be the case, although many patients complain that they were overcharged and in various cases not allowed to leave the clinic unless cash is handed over.

This report tells how it is in public hospitals all over the country [there are (a few) exeptions]:
Pacientes denuncian deficiencias en hospital de Salud P?blica | El Soberano :: Versi?n Digital

donP

I have been treated just fine with a credit card and also many private doctors allow credit till end of treatment to persons they know or are referred to. Charges are reasonable - an operation $1000 - $1,500 for example.

pi2