2020 Hurricane Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
I find it interesting that Santo Domingo almost always gets spared the worst from hurricanes. There is a reason that the city has survived so well historically.
Yes, hurricanes and storms are almost always "no shows" here in Santo Domingo. A venezuelan once told me that DR is blessed, because everytime they say a hurricane is coming, it never comes. I guess there's a reason for that, and i think that the cordillera central mountain range has alot to do with it. Also Santo Domingo is in a very akward geographical position for storms that prevents us from recieving a direct hit.

Of course there are honorable exceptions like David and Georges and more recently Noel, but in general they are few and far apart.

Florida and the Bahamas get the business far more often than DR. I wonder if its because they are located in the subtropical temperate zone (outside the tropic of cancer) and the coreolis effect is stronger the farther north you go (which would explain why storms tend to be so disorganized here in the caribbean).

Reactions: GusFring

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I do not think it was 3. I have been looking for the data but haven't found it yet
It could have been a Cat 3 but passing the north coast so the eye of the storm didn’t come near land whereas PR took a direct hit when it was a Cat 5

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, hurricanes and storms are almost always "no shows" here in Santo Domingo. A venezuelan once told me that DR is blessed, because everytime they say a hurricane is coming, it never comes. I guess there's a reason for that, and i think that the cordillera central mountain range has alot to do with it. Also Santo Domingo is in a very akward geographical position for storms that prevents us from recieving a direct hit.

Of course there are honorable exceptions like David and Georges and more recently Noel, but in general they are few and far apart.

Florida and the Bahamas get the business far more often than DR. I wonder if its because they are located in the subtropical temperate zone (outside the tropic of cancer) and the coreolis effect is stronger the farther north you go (which would explain why storms tend to be so disorganized here in the caribbean).
My was was going to UASD when Hurricane David hit Santo Domingo. Stuck in an Apartment without water with 8 other girls/women for three days.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
This storm does seem to move quite fast. It looks as if its already passed.

Sep 22, 2009
Crickets here. Not a drop of rain, beautiful cool breeze is like heaven. Didn't lose power all day, but we have privatized electric, not the RICO-laden Ede mafia . One small glitch, no water in the tap. Can you imagine?

Sep 22, 2009
I am very disappointed in the parties that intentionally overdramatized this storm. This stems from national new outlets and on down to locals I know as well as certain members of this board. I found many posts very helpful, i.e. Willy W and Dolores, also others who accurately reported in. On the other hand, shameful overdramatization of current and projected conditions. I feel this is the new norm, almost a replica of the covid scare tactics. Both the media and individuals have been responsible for fear mongering and over hype. To these folks I say, may all beings be well and you are the owner and heir of all your deeds, good and bad. Nighty night!

Reactions: PCMike

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Santo Domingo was flattened by San Zenón Hurricane in 1930. Nowhere is safe in the Caribbean basin. SD more likely to Be hit by a hurricane than Puerto Plata. Look at majority of historical paths. 3 of the largest hurricanes to hit the DR in the 20th century Destroyed santo domingo.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I doubt anything will happen here in Santo Domingo.

Show is over folks, this storm is just another overhyped by the media no show just like all the other ones. The south (Azua, Baní) did not get the much needed rain, unfortunately. I was in the area yesterday and its looking more and more like a legit desert and less like a typical caribbean semi arid forest. I've never in my life seen it so dry and the rivers are basically extint.

You were saying? :ROFLMAO: The show is over when all the trailing bands pass.

44a003a05c1e4c6c250a7bbd00ce6ec2.jpg

Aug 21, 2007
Torrential rains throughout the night in Jamao al Norte. Pounding rains. Must go to immigration today. Assume I will be driving through flood areas. Will not be happy if I arrive only to learn that immigration is closed. If anyone is in SD please report on how the night went. Thanks.

lindsey

Reactions: cavok

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Torrential rains throughout the night in Jamao al Norte. Pounding rains. Must go to immigration today. Assume I will be driving through flood areas. Will not be happy if I arrive only to learn that immigration is closed. If anyone is in SD please report on how the night went. Thanks.

lindsey
It started raining heavily at about six thirty PM. I read until the light faded and I fell asleep. It was still raining. I was awakened at one thirty AM by heavy rains and gusty winds. I stayed up and it has been raining off and on since then.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
My was was going to UASD when Hurricane David hit Santo Domingo. Stuck in an Apartment without water with 8 other girls/women for three days.
" Stuck in an Apartment without water with 8 other girls/women for three days. "

Sounds like a teenage boy's dream and an adult male's nightmare!

• Haha
Reactions: bob saunders
Status
Not open for further replies.