Greetings, my name is Evelyn and I’m here to help you (POP)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
New guy maybe need to change venues if that;'s the way you feel?
Been coming here starting over 25 years ago. We know how it works, who to see and get out the door. Don't need nor want another to screw things up.... and try for an extra propena. Simple as that.

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I think you need to train your customs officers on how to treat the tourists and on what's allowed through customs. I had a really bad experience with a customs officer on my last trip with him bullying and yelling outside the building. Later inside, during a baggage inspection, he wrongly confiscating my small scissors with a rounded tip, a favorite item of mine that had traveled with me all over the world. I'm sorry to say that this customs officer at POP was the worst that I had ever come across in all of my travels. You need to closely supervise your customs officers as well.

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
I think you need to train your customs officers on how to treat the tourists and on what's allowed through customs. I had a really bad experience with a customs officer on my last trip with him bullying and yelling outside the building. Later inside, during a baggage inspection, he wrongly confiscating my small scissors with a rounded tip, a favorite item of mine that had traveled with me all over the world. I'm sorry to say that this customs officer at POP was the worst that I had ever come across in all of my travels. You need to closely supervise your customs officers as well.
Sorry you had a bad experience.

"customs" in DR is not as broad as some other countries, you are referring to inspection when leaving the country (departure), that is managed by CESAC, I manage DGA (mainly in arrivals, when entering the country). Nevertheless I agree every officer should know the law and know clearly what's allowed and what's not.

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
Hi Lou.

Sure, as of right now we are receiving AirTransat from Montreal every friday at 2:10pm, new flights scheduled for december / january, we'll keep you posted.
Yes, I'm aware of flights from MOntreal , my question is/was have you any news on what is taking place with canadian airline , air canada / air transat , west jet will have flights to puerto plata.

• Haha

Ardvark

Jul 20, 2020
Canada/DR
Yes, I'm aware of flights from MOntreal , my question is/was have you any news on what is taking place with canadian airline , air canada / air transat , west jet will have flights to puerto plata.
Hola Lou 2100
West Jet is flying yyz to pop on Saturdays in December, then more frequent flights in Jan Feb. take a look at there web site for details. I am booked on the Dec 5th flight
Hope this helps.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Hola Lou 2100
West Jet is flying yyz to pop on Saturdays in December, then more frequent flights in Jan Feb. take a look at there web site for details. I am booked on the Dec 5th flight
Hope this helps.
westjet has had flights from toronto since at least september and then they cancell them within a week of the flight. Hope you have better luck and the flights do restart. I have a friend that was cancelled twice. He is now booked for january

Reactions: Russell

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
westjet has had flights from toronto since at least september and then they cancell them within a week of the flight. Hope you have better luck and the flights do restart. I have a friend that was cancelled twice. He is now booked for january
I just mentioned westjet , those scammers will never get a cent from me again , unless its a Repatriation Flight :D

• Haha

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
I hope we don't pester Evelyn with petty things

Airline schedules.... she has no control over......same as us

she is working on the arrival experience......the airport experience....
Pester is frivalous comments, as the one above . Petty is not fully reading what was written. She works at the airport , or rather may have access or insight to knowledge we don't . I understand the need for attention by ways of comments, but you got twitter , instagram , hey even facebook still. Who the F hangs in an airport ? Land grab bags and be out , WTF

• Haha

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
The new President has appointed me as the new manager of the airport customs area (
The new President has appointed me as the new manager of the airport customs area (DGA) here in Puerto Plata (POP). Our new goal is to make the airport more user friendly, tourists orientated and a pleasure to use.

My background is college in the USA and for the last 22 years administration villa management of SeaHorse Ranch here the the Sosua-Cabarete area. Many of you already know me.

Hopefully we can all work together to accomplish these goals at the airport.

First, I welcome all arriving passengers to ask for me personally (to know me or help with problems), second if anyone has ….

1.) ideas to improve the airport customs
2.) report here any problems (be it operational, rudeness, or improper behavior)
3.) general comments to help me (us) and improve tourism to the North Coast.

You can write here. I’m aware of the past problems and the biggest complaint (expensive airport fares) and although above my pay grade, I have the ear of the new president. Let’s see.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to hearing (meeting) you. You now have a friend at the airport customs.

Evelyn Barrientos

Hello, my problem is racial profiling every time I'm about to return to Canada.

Airport employees at the ticket desk in POP always single me out from other Canadian passengers to ask me for additional ID, screening my Canadian passport with a laser to make sure it's real, asking me a bunch of personal questions, all extra nonsense that my fellow (white) Canadian passengers don't go through.

This has also happened to me in other Dominican airports like in Samana and SD.

Your airport employees/ticket agents always seem to assume that because I'm BLACK, i can't possibly have a valid Canadian passport and let alone be Canadian. They always seem to think that I'm a Dominican or Haitian trying to illegally flee to Canada.
Whats up with that?

The last time this happened to me in POP I almost missed my return flight because the employees detained me for additional screening /verification.
They even spoke to me in SPANISH like I was supposed to be Dominican because I'm black. Then turn around and speak English to the white travelers.

So, what steps will you take at POP airport to address this issue with your employees and fight racial profiling of black foreigners returning to Canada /USA/Europe?

• Haha
Reactions: Caonabo and Russell

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Thank you Evelyn for lending us your ear.

We are a retired couple with Covid concerns.

When we land in POP this February, we would feel much better if the Airport Building had lot of doors/windows open and with fans. Covid is Airborne. Closed air conditioned areas are prime spreading grounds for Covid.

Arriving at POP and walking down long CLOSED hallways with a 100 or two strangers is (now) scary.
Standing in a very large room (shoulder to shoulder) waiting for baggage to arrive is (now) scary.

A few open door with box fans, and a few oscillating fans in the room, would go a long way to making us feel better with our time at the Airport.

HANDS, FACE, SPACE, VENTILATE

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
As mentioned by Ardvark, West Jet is now flying every saturday, flight 2506 arriving at 02:33pm from Toronto.

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
Hello, my problem is racial profiling every time I'm about to return to Canada.

Airport employees at the ticket desk in POP always single me out from other Canadian passengers to ask me for additional ID, screening my Canadian passport with a laser to make sure it's real, asking me a bunch of personal questions, all extra nonsense that my fellow (white) Canadian passengers don't go through.

This has also happened to me in other Dominican airports like in Samana and SD.

Your airport employees/ticket agents always seem to assume that because I'm BLACK, i can't possibly have a valid Canadian passport and let alone be Canadian. They always seem to think that I'm a Dominican or Haitian trying to illegally flee to Canada.
Whats up with that?

The last time this happened to me in POP I almost missed my return flight because the employees detained me for additional screening /verification.
They even spoke to me in SPANISH like I was supposed to be Dominican because I'm black. Then turn around and speak English to the white travelers.

So, what steps will you take at POP airport to address this issue with your employees and fight racial profiling of black foreigners returning to Canada /USA/Europe?
Hi, I´m really sorry you have felt racially profiled at departure, No one should be racially profiled anywhere.

You are reffering to Migration officers on departure, that's out of my reach, since I'm at customs (DGA) mostly handling arrivals, baggage check and such. But I will send a copy of this to the head of Migration so she can address this with her staff.

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
Welcome Evelyn
I pray that the intent of your new position will bring a positive vibe to POP. I’m happy that they have positioned you in a position that will make it more user friendly on visiting a fantastic Island such as the DR.
Thank you very much! That's our goal here.

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
Thank you Evelyn for lending us your ear.

We are a retired couple with Covid concerns.

When we land in POP this February, we would feel much better if the Airport Building had lot of doors/windows open and with fans. Covid is Airborne. Closed air conditioned areas are prime spreading grounds for Covid.

Arriving at POP and walking down long CLOSED hallways with a 100 or two strangers is (now) scary.
Standing in a very large room (shoulder to shoulder) waiting for baggage to arrive is (now) scary.

A few open door with box fans, and a few oscillating fans in the room, would go a long way to making us feel better with our time at the Airport.

HANDS, FACE, SPACE, VENTILATE

Hello, thanks for your input.

Unfortunately for safety reasons the airport can not have open doors / windows or be airy,

On the other hand we want to give travelers a safe enviroment. At the airport we are taking all steps towards reducing the time passengers take to clear migration and customs upon arrival,
We are now using e-ticket system which allows you to have a contact free process, just scan the QR code on your phone.
Everyone, both staff and passengers is required to wear a mask at all times.
We have installed super-fast temperature monitors through-out the terminal
Social distance is kept at all times.
Free (non mandatory) fast PCR tests are provided upon request.

Hope to see you on February!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hello Evelyn

We have heard rumors that the overstay chart is no longer posted at airports and on the DGM website.
Can you verify this ?

• Haha

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hello, we as custom are only a link in this new e-ticket project. It shouldn't be me giving information about how this will work and the exact dates and procedures. What I can tell you is that as of today, Puerto Plata airport is ready to receive travelers carrying e-tickets, also you should know that this project was designed to make things a lot easier for travelers, and I can assure that you until everything is set to make this e-ticket easy and accesible for ALL TRAVELERS you will still be able to travel using your handwritten forms.
And here I was under the impression that handwritten forms were going away very soon and you had to use the on line method,no?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Do you often make a habit of trimming your nose hairs on international flights?
Are you, THAT person?