Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

"Finally, Mr. Lilo ended the meeting with the offer to negotiate with the government on behalf of the entrepreneurs. He was instructed that the plans for two plazas should be off the table."​

I wonder why they want the two plazas off the table? Surely they're better than nothing?

Reactions: cavok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I wonder what they bring to negotiate with.
I've seen similar situations pan out in other parts of the world. Politically backed beach front property developers vs locals. I've yet to see the locals win. Perhaps this time things will be different?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I've seen similar situations pan out in other parts of the world. Politically backed beach front property developers vs locals. I've yet to see the locals win. Perhaps this time things will be different?

Not even close. It's very simple, a property owner wants to use his own property. Nobody can stop that.

They (property owner, gov't & developer) are just trying to avoid bloodshed during the eviction by offering a "Plaza space lottery". I doubt any current vendors will end up with a space in a Plaza. Those plazas will be tightly controlled. Only desired vendors will be chosen. And that won't happen till much later.

Reactions: It wasn't me

It wasn't me

Banned
Jan 1, 2022
location, location, location
If as you say some are renting from the actual Owners , would it not be the duty of those Owners to INFORM their Tenants that at some point in the near future , that they need to Vacate and their Lease will be Voided , because the Land under them was and IS now DONATED to another owner ?

or does the DR not have any Rules of Law such as this to protect Tenants who are paying Rent in Good faith . ..

I am only asking.
Perhaps you should educate yourself before engaging in conversations about things you're so woefully ignorant about. This is about the DR, not wherever it is you claim to be from.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Perhaps you should educate yourself before engaging in conversations about things you're so woefully ignorant about. This is about the DR, not wherever it is you claim to be from.

Did you accidentally respond to the wrong post? He was asking about Dom tenancy law.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Conflicting information above. Either they will select the tenants of the new plazas carefully or there will be a lottery to select them.
Those are mutually excusive options that will be realized many months down the road in either case.

For those that don't see it, the landowners are just doing what they want and the town has had plans to change Sosua beach form many years.
If nothing is going to change, as some claim, why have such business owner meetings?

Still no news on when the beach will be cleared? I ask because I want to be nowhere near that at the time.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Conflicting information above. Either they will select the tenants of the new plazas carefully or there will be a lottery to select them.
Those are mutually excusive options that will be realized many months down the road in either case.

For those that don't see it, the landowners are just doing what they want and the town has had plans to change Sosua beach form many years.
If nothing is going to change, as some claim, why have such business owner meetings?

Still no news on when the beach will be cleared?
I ask because I want to be nowhere near that at the time.
No one really knows at this point in time but I think if it's going to happen this year, I'd bet it happens within a few weeks after Semana Santa.

Reactions: windeguy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Appears things are definitely starting to heat up in Sosua.
The vendors are not happy with this administration's plans
for their businesses.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have no reason to believe the beach will be gone, I guess that is only me who thinks the beach will still be there.

Most of the beach vendors will be done if the government's plan is realized.
The magnitude of what is about to happen has woken these people up.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The "believe it when I see it" and the "nothing ever changes here" crowd is finally waking up from their Brugal induced stupor.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
How long will Sosua stay Sosua when access to the beach is essentially gone? Change it's designation from beach town to costal town.

Reactions: It wasn't me

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How long will Sosua stay Sosua when access to the beach is essentially gone? Change it's designation from beach town to costal town.
The government was given land at each end of the beach to build plazas. Why do people keep saying public access to the beach will be gone.
What will be gone is the vendors except for those in each plaza.

Looks like reality is finally hitting on on what the plan is.

Reactions: Billp16

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I meant to type : Reality is finally hitting home on what the plan is in my last post.

Willy did mention the plan... Still no time frame for the clearing of the middle of the beach?

As requested I would like to know when this happens so I can avoid the area for a couple of days.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The government was given land at each end of the beach to build plazas. Why do people keep saying public access to the beach will be gone.

I've been hearing since last year all three access points will remain open. No idea why anyone is suggesting otherwise?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I've been hearing since last year all three access points will remain open. No idea why anyone is suggesting otherwise?

I doubt the middle access will remain. It wasn't on the plans I saw and their not going to want a path coming thru the middle of a condo/hotel project. The access at either end will satisfy the public access regs.

But where oh where will all the busses go you ask? Uhhh, somewhere else.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

You tell me who would want to hang around the ends of the beach? That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard as far as the beach goes. The trees will be gone, places to get a drink or food near by will be gone...believe me, this essentially make the beach gone for people who do not live above.

Status
Not open for further replies.