Sosúa Beach Renovations

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It is true that they could have built a strip mall of concrete buildings with 100 plus vendors all serving the same thing.
But they aren't.

I don't go to Sosua beach because of how it is now.
What is this fascination with concrete? When I think Caribbean, I don't think concrete.

I have always agreed the beach needed a revamp. I object to it being taken away.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
What is this fascination with concrete? When I think Caribbean, I don't think concrete.

I have always agreed the beach needed a revamp. I object to it being taken away.
Because the renovations are not being driven by a desire to present nature in its best form.
The renovations (in my opinion) are being driven by a desire to exploit what is there for pure profit.
This is the current thinking in tourism...eco style. Fitting in with the environment and the area. This is the opposite of that.
Exactly‼️
I doubt anyone involved in the project is even paying attention to that.
They gots their mind on 💰
Pure 🤑

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am in complete agreement.
There are those posting up in here (often shouting the loudest) that don't even goto Sosua Beach.
The plan for the Sousa Beach Renovation is not for the people of Sosua or the Dominican Republic.
It is not that I am opposed to renovation...it is the type of renovation.
I am fully in favor of the renovation and the type of renovation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Reference is made to post # 379
They also could have brought in an architectural firm with real skills and told them to design something that fit with the current natural landscape.

Individuals posting up in here that don't even goto Sosua Beach now say it is because of how it is.
Will they go in the future ❓
I have no idea if I will go in the future. I cannot predict the future. Time will tell.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The beach will remain. The beach isn't being taken away. Just the illegal buildings are being replaced with something new.
One thing is for sure, you can't please everyone. That is one reason this plan took decades, and had previous false starts.
Along with 16 years of do nothing PLD leadership.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I live in Cabarete. I would NEVER move to Sosua. Not ever.

Will I go there after the renovation? I have no idea. But I am certainly in favor of the renovation to replace the current decrepit "nature" behind the beach.
And so am I. All I am saying is don't destroy it in the process...all over money. It's sickening.

btw, I feel the same way about Cabarete. I in no way want changes in Cabarete that would ruin what you have there. It's just not my vibe. I hope Cabarete stays the way you like it.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The beach will remain. The beach isn't being taken away. Just the illegal buildings are being replaced with something new.
One thing is for sure, you can't please everyone. That is one reason this plan took decades, and had previous false starts.
Along with 16 years of do nothing PLD leadership.
You know what I meant.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And so am I. All I am saying is don't destroy it in the process...all over money. It's sickening.

btw, I feel the same way about Cabarete. I in no way want changes in Cabarete that would ruin what you have there. It's just not my vibe. I hope Cabarete stays the way you like it.
As far as the beach area goes where I live, there could be considerable improvement. There are also bars/restaurants collapsing there like the abortion that was Rocky's Aqua. The beaches I go to range from Calleton, Magante, Rogelio, Congrejo, and Friday the first time at Playa Teco. I hope to add Sosua to that group in a year, but time will tell on that. Some people seem to be obsessed with Sosua.

I don't expect anything to be "ready" in Sosua for about a year. Meanwhile, aside from construction noise, the current vendors not actually displaced by the new plazas being built can remain, allegedly. Don't you love the incessant banging of hammers when concrete work is done? Sosua beach is not being destroyed, just the decrepit structures there will be destroyed. They make it most unpleasant now.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I would rather have a beach with one good vendor and lots of shade than what is on Sosua now.
You are not even planning to goto the beach.
So tell me how you even know what you want.
I have no idea if I will go in the future. I cannot predict the future. Time will tell.
I live in Cabarete. I would NEVER move to Sosua. Not ever.

Will I go there after the renovation? I have no idea.
What the what⁉️
But I am certainly in favor of the renovation to replace the current decrepit "nature" behind the beach.
I am in favor of renovation also.
Renovation that takes into account the natural beauty of of the place.
And I know some get and understand my point like @ramesses
💯🎯 Bro.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I would rather have a beach with one good vendor and lots of shade than what is on Sosua now.
They are going to remove the shade, just like Playa Alicia I would assume. It's a long beach, the design for the plazas do not bode well for the center of the beach...warm beers by the time they get to you. It's all in the plan to keep people off most of the beach....you know, for the rich people.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
As far as the beach area goes where I live, there could be considerable improvement. There are also bars/restaurants collapsing there like the abortion that was Rocky's Aqua. The beaches I go to range from Calleton, Magante, Rogelio, Congrejo, and Friday the first time at Playa Teco. I hope to add Sosua to that group in a year, but time will tell on that. Some people seem to be obsessed with Sosua.

I don't expect anything to be "ready" in Sosua for about a year. Meanwhile, aside from construction noise, the current vendors not actually displaced by the new plazas being built can remain, allegedly. Don't you love the incessant banging of hammers when concrete work is done? Sosua beach is not being destroyed, just the decrepit structures there will be destroyed. They make it most unpleasant now.
It's a beach I have been going to and enjoying for over 20 years. You call it obsession. I call it my favorite place.

I like Rogelio a lot. Teco in Maimon, not so much. Good food around though.

I have my doubts Sosua beach will ever be "ready"...but hey, that's me.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Concrete doesn't burn.

Reactions: ramesses

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Concrete doesn't burn.
Just about anything that lasts that is built here is built from concrete. It doesn't burn and is not attacked by insects.
Those that say concrete isn't Caribbean/Dominican obviously don't looked around much, or they just look at tin roof shacks made from scraps of wood for the walls. If you want something to last here, you build it from concrete and use lots of rebar.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They are going to remove the shade, just like Playa Alicia I would assume. It's a long beach, the design for the plazas do not bode well for the center of the beach...warm beers by the time they get to you. It's all in the plan to keep people off most of the beach....you know, for the rich people.
If there is no shade I will go there no more than I do now and just as much as I go to Playa Alicia which is never.

Reactions: David B