Annoying Dominican Habits

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
When we were landing a couple of weeks ago, Mr AE turned to me and asked if I thought they’d still clap. They did. We laughed.

I never thought it was directed at the pilot. I always thought it was “Thank God we’re on the ground”.
I always thank the Captain and or First Officer by Name when I exit the Craft (without even looking at the name tag) .. they really seem to appreciate it .
(They announce themselves by name at the beginning of the flight ).

Reactions: bachata

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Land on the island, they clap, smile, we’re home, yay! What a ride, what a landing, yay! Thank you lord, yay! plus all the above & more.
Land in New York, meh, start texting, time is tight.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
When I worked for the airlines, I always thought it was fun when everyone clapped landing in the DR. To me it meant that they are happy that they made it safely. Heck there were times when even us, the flight crew clapped.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominicans clap hands when airplane lands.

JJ
Many Latin Americans have that habit. If you have ever been in a flight full of Puerto Ricans, they clap too especially when it lands in San Juan.

I used to think that was because probably many people are afraid of flying. By the time the following happened I was aware clapping upon landing is a tradition for many Latin American groups. A few years ago on a flight from NYC to Santiago, as soon it begsn to decline for landing a woman began to pray very loudly. She literally praid from the moment it started to decline which is still over the ocean somewhere between the Turks and Caicos and Puerto Plata all the way to landing at Cibao. She probably said every prayer that exist. She stop when the airplane stop on the runway. Well, I'll clap to that.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I always thank the Captain and or First Officer by Name when I exit the Craft (without even looking at the name tag) .. they really seem to appreciate it .
(They announce themselves by name at the beginning of the flight ).

Same here. I've done that for as long as I can remember.

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
Are all the toilets out side of hotels broken?
And wherever I go it seems toilet paper is stolen,hidden or non existent.
Washing vanishing and my ultimate pet hate is phone chargers disappearing.

Reactions: PCMike

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I didn't read everyone's posts but mine is the extremely loud music coming from someone's car that's parked on the beach while we're trying to relax and unwind.

But I get it. I was once young, too
I used to do that when younger, for this reason my favorite Beach at that time was Costambar, I was able to backup my car all the way into the sand under an almond tree.
Usually weekends are for Dominican people, you can enjoy the quietness during week days.
JJ

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I used to do that when younger, for this reason my favorite Beach at that time was Costambar, I was able to backup my car all the way into the sand under an almond tree.
Usually weekends are for Dominican people, you can enjoy the quietness during week days.
JJ
We took the teachers to Playa Moron, after coming back from the Limon waterfall. There was nobody at the beach and it was a beautiful day. The younger teachers didn't like it because it was too quiet and there was nobody to look at them in their bikinis.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Send photos :)
1674949473118.png
not all are bikini models.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Show my picture to all of the girls with long hair please. lol

• Haha
Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Dominican barrio or campo funeral, always the wife, a daughter or a girlfriend of the disease falls with attack...

The best part is "Los Nueve Días" and finally La vela where they served a lot of food if the family can afford it.

JJ

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I want to meet them all and see which one clicks. :cool:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Speaking of bad driving habits by Dominicans (perhaps the worst drivers in all of Latin America):
I was in Playero driving out yesterday and a Dominican who could not wait passed along our right side next to the covered parking adjacent to store.
He accelerated to about 30 mph and then took the lane turning right and did not even look before turning onto the highway causing a car crossing the redlight to skid.
If there would have been people exiting on Playero's walkway into the parking lot just then they would have been parking lot fatalities.
If I had a pistol on me I swear I would have put a hole in his gas tank

And you can guess what kind of car he was driving ? ( a gray Sonata with black tint windows all around)

Reactions: Naked_Snake