For those Dominicans DR1'ers what does it mean to be aplatanado?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm interested in what Dominicans think about what it means to be aplatanado but not really gringos(except for HB), thanks!

BTW, in order to preempt a few "boilerplate" comments, I'll never be "Dominican" other than a gringo "Dominican citizen"!

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Each time I answer a Dominican in Spanish they say I am aplatanado. Same happens to all my expat friends. Maybe this helps...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm married to a Dominican.

My missus seems to think I'm getting there. (aplatanado that is)

But I'll never eat "habichuelas con dulce" for Easter....Yuck!

Gimme a chocolate egg any day!

In fact I would prefer not to be in the country during Easter (Samana Santa) altogether!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I guess you guys missed the "Dominican DR1'er" part.

Pichardo, suarez, Mr_DR, bachata, Ezequiel, ExtremeR please chime in.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Here is the dictionary definition in case you would like to dispute it:

aplatanado
* adj
1 (=soso) lumpish, lacking all ambition
(=aletargado) weary, lethargic
2 est? aplatanado (Caribe) (=acriollado) he has gone native

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Aplatanado is used for someone who eats too many Platanos, and hence, is considered silly.

Frank

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I'm interested in what Dominicans think about what it means to be aplatanado but not really gringos(except for HB), thanks!

BTW, in order to preempt a few "boilerplate" comments, I'll never be "Dominican" other than a gringo "Dominican citizen"!

I think you need to, at least, be raised in the DR to be "Aplatanado". You need to blame the president for everything bad that happens in your life, from a simple cold, to why you don't have enough money to buy a beer.

There are a lot of eccentricities that we don't Dominican born and raised have, that foreigners and Dominicans born and raised abroad will find hard to accept/tolerate/relate.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
From what I understood(and have heard), aplatanado was a term used for foreigners. Still, thanks for your opinion.

Oh, you mean that type of "Aplatanado"! That's just us Dominican trying to make you "Gringos" feel at home. A Gringo is a Gringo no matter how long s/he been living in the DR. Once you turn the back we say "Gringo rediculo".

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Oh, you mean that type of "Aplatanado"! That's just us Dominican trying to make you "Gringos" feel at home. A Gringo is a Gringo no matter how long s/he been living in the DR. Once you turn the back we say "Gringo rediculo".

Thanks for being sincere. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Honestly I expect some Dominicans intend the use of "aplatanado" as a comment especially among friends but I expect there are Dominicans just like the rednecks back home who will never accept a foreigner. Such is life.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Thanks for being sincere. :)

I'm not kidding! Even Dominican-American when they go to the DR with a different accent and talking Spanglish, once they leave, everybody start saying, "Qu? rediculo es ese carajo".

Just be who you are and don't try to be "Aplatanado" because people will make fun of you if you do.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I guess you think i was joking about the meaning of Aplatanado. It's understandable. But in all honesty, the word is used for someone who is "Silly," or being Silly as a result of eating too many Platanos. That is the truth!

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.