6 Million Platanos a day

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I’m at the local snackbar getting French fries and frikadellen (Dutch fast food). My wife said she’s boiling a platano...

:eek:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I have no doubt about the consumption, but 6 million sure sounds like a lot. That is saying every single person on this rock eats a half a plantain every day.

I have a hard time believing that.
Many people feel that If the haven't had plantains in one day, something is missing in their lives. Others feel the same way about rice.....or both.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Many people feel that If the haven't had plantains in one day, something is missing in their lives. Others feel the same way about rice.....or both.

My household easily goes through 1-2 per person per day. There are comically dilapidated pickup trucks that roam the neighborhood selling them as well as guys pushing wheel barrows in the evening. If you run out, there's the colmado but reasons unknown they charge 4x the going street price. At 5 pesos each, you can't find cheaper nourishment.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Platanos are rich in fiber, vitamins A, C, and B-6, as well as the minerals magnesium and potassium. Potassium intake is essential in a hot weather climate such as the one RD possesses.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You say that because you’ve never eaten MY spaghetti. I even have a pasta maker here. :)

you are Italian. i have had good Italian food. my daughter in law is Italian.

i am talking about that stuff that is cooked 5 minutes past al dente, and smothered in tomato sauce.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
OMG the boiled ones are awful. Maduros are good fried......have you ever had them in a pastelon???  Delicioso 

agree boiled is gross.  and breakfast mangu to me is only yummy with extra vinegar onion.  I betcha dv8 likes them that way too.  

Fried yummy starchy to stones with Mami's special salsa real (ketchup&mayo) divine.  maduro with crispy fried black edges and cream.  (I know, that's more Central American).  yummy.  

Oddly, I eat plantains more frequently at home in Boston.  I think I prefer the ones that have been sitting on a ship and in a market for a month.  more starchy.  

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I wonder how many salamis they eat in the DR. ;)

Dominican salami (aka salty oat/cornmeal in a tube) is the grossest thing on god's green earth.  especially the end of it which is puckered by the plastic wrap and that little metal thing.  omg.  so gross and nasty.  

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Dominican salami (aka salty oat/cornmeal in a tube) is the grossest thing on god's green earth.  especially the end of it which is puckered by the plastic wrap and that little metal thing.  omg.  so gross and nasty.  

It cannot be grosser that chitlins.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
of course you prefer potatoes.  god made you that way, moj polski przyjaciel.  (gosh, luv me some google.)

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

my beloved stepdad ( Ukrainian/irish-sort of).  if a meal didn't have bread and butter it was a snack.  never a spot left on his plate.  

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
My dearest dude friend from Colombia has a sister in Italy.  she taught his maid how to make spaghetti and meatballs.  I know, basic boring mom food.  In the hands of his helper a sublime experience.  maybe teaspoon sized.  at most 1/2 tablesp[pom.,  little bread.  she/he/sister won't share the recipe.  ticks me off.  

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
It cannot be grosser that chitlins.

tru dat.  aint nuthin grosser.  and i'ver had fresh properly cleaned chitlins.  the other thing I can't abide is mondongo.  at least the disgusting kind Dominicans eat.  had it franchise style and a few times Colombia.  totally different.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My household easily goes through 1-2 per person per day. There are comically dilapidated pickup trucks that roam the neighborhood selling them as well as guys pushing wheel barrows in the evening. If you run out, there's the colmado but reasons unknown they charge 4x the going street price. At 5 pesos each, you can't find cheaper nourishment.

This year, after hurricanes and co ( lots of matas blown over ), platanos are expensive !!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Guess I need to google chitlins. :)

No platanos in the house this morning. The horror. He had eggs with mashed rulos, talk about yuck. 

Every ethnicity has their own favorite starch. Despite the Italian spaghetti jokes, my father never ate it (or any other Italian food, for that matter). Every, and I mean every, dinner included potatoes. Boiled, baked, fried, but they had to be there. 

Reminds me of a story. Dominican aunt made large lunch, chicken, yuca, salad, etc.; couple of hours later, son asks when she’s making lunch. She exclaimed he already ate it. “Oh NO mami, lunch is rice and beans!!!”  True story. 

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
OOOOmy God! I am jealous...
I wonder can you make plantano Pasta .
That would range up there with the invention of sliced bread!
Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Looked it up...chitlins...in Nova Scotia called ''Tripe''...
When we were served Tripe as a child we knew there was no food in the Larder.

Bless you all, who enjoy such cultural foods.

Mangu with Salt fish and onions... no thats a feed ... fish cakes Dominican stile.
Russell