6 Million Platanos a day

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Does Señor AlterEgo eat the same style breakfast while you are in the US of A, or does he only have it while you are visiting the RD?

Our entire existence in US is completely different. There he has mangu maybe once a month, if that. Eggs are a constant though. 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i felt sufficiently inspired by this thread to make "mofongo" today: baked rulos blended with lots of garlic, served with fish sauce flavoured vegetable broth and coleslaw with basil yogurt dressing. followed by coconut angel food cake, apple custard pie and anzac biscuits.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
chitlins over collards with hot sauce, now we talking yummy yummy

Preach. That's good eatin'. Chitlins, cows feet, pigs feet, mondongo, all great stuff. And don't forget morcilla.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Preach. That's good eatin'. Chitlins, cows feet, pigs feet, mondongo, all great stuff. And don't forget morcilla.

Kill me now, lol 

Leo does like the feet, his mother used to make them.  Never tried it, never will.  I have had ox/cow tail, not bad. Was a favorite of his, used to be cheap, not now 

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Kill me now, lol 

Leo does like the feet, his mother used to make them.  Never tried it, never will.  I have had ox/cow tail, not bad. Was a favorite of his, used to be cheap, not now 

Haven't you noticed? Nothing that has to do with animals is cheap any more. Remember back when wings weren't a thing? Gizzards?

The stuff that used to get fed to the dogs now gets good money. I'm getting closer and closer to weaning myself off of meat.

suavena

Jan 27, 2009
I eat them far more rarely. Every time I do, I wonder what they have that makes them a viable food item and not a weed I would pull out before it grows.

Imagine, many Dominican will say the same thing about pancake. What do they see in that thing and what are the **** they put for the pancake to grow on hot surface. :cross-eye Nothing is better than a mangu with three strike (tres golpes) salami, eggs and cheese or fried green (frito verde) with a medium well steak or longaniza.:lick:

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Kill me now, lol 

I used to buy Beef Tongue for 50 cents; then it doubled in value to $1.00.
My kids hated it because no other kids would trade sandwiches with them at school.
To reminisce I almost bought one the other day at the SOBEYS store... $34.98 ... for the thing. I bought a huge ham 12 pounds and precooked instead.
Yup, it is getting expensive to eat carne.
Russell

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
chitlins over collards with hot sauce, now we talking yummy yummy

..don't forget the homemade corn bread. 

288qtlw.jpg

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Looked it up...chitlins...in Nova Scotia called ''Tripe''...
When we were served Tripe as a child we knew there was no food in the Larder.

Bless you all, who enjoy such cultural foods.

Mangu with Salt fish and onions... no thats a feed ... fish cakes Dominican stile.
Russell

Need to change your search engine. Big diff... stomach vs intestine

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Its strange how food values change over time. In the '70s, Germans could not give away pork spare ribs fast enough. In the '80s, I would buy an entire bag of pigfeet from the butcher in the market for 10P.
Now look.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had to google how maw as well. my, what educational thread it turned out to be. anyways, the stuff looks delish. but i like haggis so no wonder. i also eat chikin feet, pig's feet and variety of assorted entrails. not the brain, lungs or kidneys. but i'd try them con gusto if made by someone who knows how to prepare them.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
chicken feet add a lusciousness to soup.  Now I think we use the Japanese word umami to describe a certain depth of flavor.  and with chicken feet one has the added benefit of being able to pick one's teeth!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
When we prepar Morcilla, we always like to joke about the percentage of poop that needs to be mixed with the blood to give it it's great taste.

Some folks like to add rice and hot sauce too.

Gives you a nice "Pepper teeth" smile when you eat it. I love that stuff.