6 Million Platanos a day

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Guess I need to google chitlins. :)

No platanos in the house this morning. The horror. He had eggs with mashed rulos, talk about yuck. 

Every ethnicity has their own favorite starch. Despite the Italian spaghetti jokes, my father never ate it (or any other Italian food, for that matter). Every, and I mean every, dinner included potatoes. Boiled, baked, fried, but they had to be there. 

Reminds me of a story. Dominican aunt made large lunch, chicken, yuca, salad, etc.; couple of hours later, son asks when she’s making lunch. She exclaimed he already ate it. “Oh NO mami, lunch is rice and beans!!!”  True story. 

Does Señor AlterEgo eat the same style breakfast while you are in the US of A, or does he only have it while you are visiting the RD?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I wonder can you make plantano Pasta .

i have seen harina de platano available in dominican stores so potentially it could be used for pasta making. possibly with an addition of semolina because it may be too starchy on it's own to form pasta. but AE could try it and report back, if she feels adventurous. in PP it can be found in la sirena and jumbo (also jose luis) in health food sections.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Looked it up...chitlins...in Nova Scotia called ''Tripe''...
When we were served Tripe as a child we knew there was no food in the Larder.

Bless you all, who enjoy such cultural foods.

Mangu with Salt fish and onions... no thats a feed ... fish cakes Dominican stile.
Russell

Tripe (cow stomach) is mondongo.  Chitlins/Chitterlings are intestine. In Spanish I believe intestines are called guajira.  

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
He has no clue what chitlins are.

Sounds very unappetizing. He never heard that word either. Maybe Dominicans don’t eat it??

Dominicans eat it everyday, everywhere and to make it subject related, they eat it with plantains.

You sure you have a Dominican for husband :)?

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Dominican salami (aka salty oat/cornmeal in a tube) is the grossest thing on god's green earth.  especially the end of it which is puckered by the plastic wrap and that little metal thing.  omg.  so gross and nasty.  

In the same category as fruitcakes.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Tripe (cow stomach) is mondongo.  Chitlins/Chitterlings are intestine. In Spanish I believe intestines are called guajira.  

Dominicans eat it everyday, everywhere and to make it subject related, they eat it with plantains.

You sure you have a Dominican for husband :)?

Since chitlins are served with plantains (keeping on topic :))........

What does Clara have to say about it?

For those innocently unaware, “mondongo” is a cute name for cow or pig intestines, a supposed delicacy, usually boiled and then served in a tomato sauce on rice. Although in my opinion of little esteem it resembles a smooth mass of rotini-shaped viscera in form, and a worn rubber bicycle tire in texture, it remains a savoury delight to many others. Unfortunately, my own intestines cringe at the thought of processing their own kind. They go tense at the pervasive and instantly recognizable smell of cooking mondongo.

https://www.dominicancooking.com/685-mondongo-stewed-tripe.html

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you notice a moto with a big plastic tub on the back scooping out bowls of stuff on the side of the road, I believe that is chitlins and/or some other offal.

Haven't seen them on a menu anywhere, but maybe that's because of where I choose to eat.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Since chitlins are served with plantains (keeping on topic :))........

What does Clara have to say about it?

For those innocently unaware, “mondongo” is a cute name for cow or pig intestines, a supposed delicacy, usually boiled and then served in a tomato sauce on rice. Although in my opinion of little esteem it resembles a smooth mass of rotini-shaped viscera in form, and a worn rubber bicycle tire in texture, it remains a savoury delight to many others. Unfortunately, my own intestines cringe at the thought of processing their own kind. They go tense at the pervasive and instantly recognizable smell of cooking mondongo.

https://www.dominicancooking.com/685-mondongo-stewed-tripe.html

Having cooked it once for my husband when he was sick, I can testify that tripe is definitely the stomach of a cow or other ruminant, not intestines. (No I am not married to a Dominican).

https://www.thespruce.com/information-about-tripe-2342853

The recipe is subtitled "Tripe Stew" so I think it is fair to assume that stomach lining and not intestines is meant. Unless the person cooking the stew added intestines as well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had to google chitlins too, never heard the word before. and i do like mondongo. i think usually it's made from the stomach because that's what i see sold in supermarkets but i had it in a little coca cola themed comedor in nagua, which is apparently famous for its mondongo and it definitely contained intestines. or, as i called it "pipes". either way i like it.

what really ticks me off tho, is that dominicans always seem to leave platanos in large chunks when tossing it into soups or stews. i want to eat the stuff with a spoon, goddamit.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What does mondongo smell like while it's being cooked?
My mother talked about eating tripe as a child, but I don't believe she ever attempted to cook it herself.
And neither have I.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
i had to google chitlins too, never heard the word before.

In DR you won't of course, in DR Mondongo is the colloquial name for it, Americans Southerners know chitlins very well and Dominicans eat it, stomach or intestines or both.

Wondering what kind of Dominicans are some of you hanging out with that have not knowledge of mondongo?:p:p

Platanos are cheap, abundant and easy to cook thus the daily usage.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
In DR you won't of course, in DR Mondongo is the colloquial name for it, Americans Southerners know chitlins very well and Dominicans eat it, stomach or intestines or both.

Wondering what kind of Dominicans are some of you hanging out with that have not knowledge of mondongo?:p:p

Platanos are cheap, abundant and easy to cook thus the daily usage.

Oh lord. I actually have not run into it in the DR, but in Florida, yes. I like different cultures, so of course, politely asked to attend a black baptist church. Sunday with the long long service and singing was uplifting. I was invited to the Thursday congregational dinner. I think protestants usually put on a spaghetti dinner, but Thursday was chitlins. I smell was overpowering. Being a vegetarian, it was something like from the underworld. I politely excused myself and puked before I made it home.

Up to now, I thought mondongo meant soup which I always politely declined. Thanks for the spanish lesson.