6 Million Platanos a day

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Love Testones but they love my butt and waistline. They are part of many, many daily diets in the DR. Cheap and readily available. The potato of Latin America.

They are cheap! majority of Dominicans are very poor. I remember eating platanos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Seafood stuffed totones are amazing. Mangu mixed in with chrushed chicharones are also good. Also, ripped plantains have no equals.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Tripe (cow stomach) is mondongo.  Chitlins/Chitterlings are intestine. In Spanish I believe intestines are called guajira.  

You are correct and for that Canadian fellow, tripe is the stomach of the cow not the intestines of a hog (pig for you non farmers). Chitlins are called "tripas" in the DR.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
So, then, what would they call the actual tripe?
Some of the "tripas" I've seen being sold in the DR, are pretty scary looking.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
So, then, what would they call the actual tripe?
Some of the "tripas" I've seen being sold in the DR, are pretty scary looking.

It's called Bofe. My mom used to make a really goof soup with tripe, pig ears, snout, etc. This is usually made when having a party and there is going to be a lot of rum drinking. It's said to sober you up much like sancocho The chitterlings were always cooked by themselves because it took a lot of work to get rid of the smell. I did eat them a s a child, but after that I would puke when trying to eat it here in the US. yuck.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
i had to google how maw as well. my, what educational thread it turned out to be. anyways, the stuff looks delish. but i like haggis so no wonder. i also eat chikin feet, pig's feet and variety of assorted entrails. not the brain, lungs or kidneys. but i'd try them con gusto if made by someone who knows how to prepare them.

Hog mawls DV, and the rest of that stuff sound delish.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
A cow tail cost more than a Rib Eye steak these days.
Kill me now, lol 

Leo does like the feet, his mother used to make them.  Never tried it, never will.  I have had ox/cow tail, not bad. Was a favorite of his, used to be cheap, not now 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
BOWEL STEW

Had to share this. Mr AE, Matilda and I ate at Tipico Bonao recently. Matilda pointed out the
English translation of mondongo. Bowel Stew. How appetizing  4C527AB9-815E-4851-824C-3B4E67B89607.jpg

PS. We passed, had the Cordero instead. Delicioso 

Attachments

• D04955A1-D92B-4C37-B0EE-593000A0AA6A.jpg
    D04955A1-D92B-4C37-B0EE-593000A0AA6A.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 80

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Had to share this. Mr AE, Matilda and I ate at Tipico Bonao recently. Matilda pointed out the
English translation of mondongo. Bowel Stew. How appetizing View attachment 2853

hahaha, now that we have covered hog maws and chittlins, and pigs feet ......... what about ham hocks?

You should have covered up the English and given the "bowels" a try. LOL

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i noticed they omitted info that fish soup was made with fish heads and spanish stew with cow's feet. as if feet and heads were less appetizing than bowels.

AE mentioned pastelon somewhere earlier in the thread. it's not a bad dish but usually it's painfully greasy so i rarely eat it. but i made my own variation last week using baked ripe rulos as a base. mashed them with parsley, garlic and jalapenos. then added that mushy mash to cooked spicy ground beef effectively making it all-in-one type of dish. put it in a baking tray, topped with fresh mozzarella and baked for around 35 minutes. yummy.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
English translation of mondongo. Bowel Stew. How appetizing View attachment 2853

It was well known locally that you go buy your intestines at some stalls just down the old Duarte road near the southernmost slip road entry into Bonao. (Assuming your were eating at the original Tipico Bonao off the main slip road into Bonao).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It was well known locally that you go buy your intestines at some stalls just down the old Duarte road near the southernmost slip road entry into Bonao. (Assuming your were eating at the original Tipico Bonao off the main slip road into Bonao).

We’ve eaten at both places, but this visit was on the northbound side. 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i received a huge bunch of ripe rulos from my in-laws. for about two weeks i've been making various dishes using baked rulos as a base. so i made the pastelon mentioned before. then mashed rulos with herbs, spices and queso en hoya to fill some cuban peppers and baked them. then rulo gniocchi. and today i made baked rulo scones. boy, i am glad i used all of them!

each of the dishes would work as well with platanos or, in fact, other starches too.

May 4, 2018
I can believe it. I've seen the 20 ton flatbeds come to town at five AM packed high with them then offload onto pickups. An adult can easily eat two or three boiled in one meal. I prefer them ripe and panfried. It can be hard to find ripe ones.

Like mangos, sugar cane, and oranges, they're not native to here. The Taino staples were auyama, yuca and sweet potato.

It would be nice if the DR and Puerto Rico could trade platinos for dairy without tariffs.

May 4, 2018
i received a huge bunch of ripe rulos from my in-laws. for about two weeks i've been making various dishes using baked rulos as a base. so i made the pastelon mentioned before. then mashed rulos with herbs, spices and queso en hoya to fill some cuban peppers and baked them. then rulo gniocchi. and today i made baked rulo scones. boy, i am glad i used all of them!

each of the dishes would work as well with platanos or, in fact, other starches too.

I thought rulos went overripe in just a couple days...I've seen them but not tried them. Sounds like good recipes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they take time to start going yellow and then it goes pretty fast. unlike platanos, that can go completely black and still remain edible the rulos will kinda soften up and rot at this stage. i got mine in two or three installments so basically i managed to use all of them before they went bad. in our house there is no such thing as wasting food. i'm one of these people who will rinse nearly empty jar of marmalade with water/milk to get every single morsel out and then use that rinse to make oatmeal or cake dough.