900 US Troops on the Border

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
quote:It is quite illuminating to me that the Soviet Union (Josef Tito, Muhamar Khadafi, Pol Pot, Ho Chi Min, Erich Honecker, Nikolai Cesecasneu, Gamal Abdel-Nassar) the 'People's' Republic of China (Tibet, Kim Jong Il & Junior) Cuba (Angola, Daniel Ortega and the Sandinistas, Hugo Chavez), et. al. and their puppets are ignored and never referenced here by this club of posters. unquote

Possibly because none of those evildoers have anything to do with Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Like it or not when America acts in America's interests, it pisses off alot of people in the countries where those interests are acted upon. The actions of the shrub shouldn't suprise anyone.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Non Sequitur.

Gabriela said:
Sometime around 1967, most young Americans on the East Coast learned truth is the first casualty of war. And many of us found it odd that there was always a bogey man to justify huge military expenditures and the killing of innocent civilians. Communism served that purpose until 1989. After the fall of communism, by Jesus, Weapons of Mass Destruction turned up in the Middle East. Now Haiti is in chaos, just in time for the Dominican elections. Compared to Haiti the DR looks stable. Amazing coincidence.
Would it be too much of a distraction for you to answer the question posted previously? That is, why is it that you continually mention U.S.puppets during the Cold War you claim to be a part of while ignoring such instances fomented by the Soviets, Cuba, and China?

I realize you would actually have to think as opposed to spouting rhetoric but another non-answer will instantly relegate your 'arguments', such as they were, to dust. Be forewarned.

Tom aka XR Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
They Did! You're in Good Company!

Chirimoya said:
Tito and Ceaucescu (correct spelling) at least had many friends in the west. The East/West divide was never as black and white as that.
Hitler had Neville Chamberlain, Stalin FDR, Mao and Deng Richard Nixon, Fidel Castro Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, and Kruschev, Breshnev, and the rest any number of symapthizers in the west. And?

They were all brutal dictators who terrorized their populace. And who, I dare say, none of whom any of you would have spent 1 month living under had you lived that long. And you dare criticize the one power that kept you free at the cost of thosands of lives to be able to state your opinion today?

Incredible. Sad, but amazing.

At least Chiri you can speak French today and know that it will be understood in France, as opposed to having tolearn German, or Russian to communicate there. Dos Vidanya!

Tom aka XR Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
XR, believe it or not, you are making the same point as me.

If I didn't explain myself clearly enough, I responded to Tony's remark about Clinton reinstating Aristide. The point I tried to make, was something on the lines of - so what? It wouldn't be the first time that a superpower supported a less than perfect leader because it was convenient at the time. If anything, they had less to go on with Aristide, because there were not that many warning signs at that stage. (They were some, though).

In any case, this has really branched off the argument. Porfi said that he approved of Carter and Clinton's policy towards the DR. It was Tony who jumped in with the comment about Clinton and Haiti.

As one of the culprits, could I appeal to all posters on both sides of the argument to try and steer this back on topic, or let the moderator call it a day? What... was... it...?

Chiri

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Absolutely, Complete, Idiotic, Nonsense.

bob saunders said:
quote:It is quite illuminating to me that the Soviet Union (Josef Tito, Muhamar Khadafi, Pol Pot, Ho Chi Min, Erich Honecker, Nikolai Cesecasneu, Gamal Abdel-Nassar) the 'People's' Republic of China (Tibet, Kim Jong Il & Junior) Cuba (Angola, Daniel Ortega and the Sandinistas, Hugo Chavez), et. al. and their puppets are ignored and never referenced here by this club of posters. unquote Possibly because none of those evildoers have anything to do with Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Like it or not when America acts in America's interests, it pisses off alot of people in the countries where those interests are acted upon. The actions of the shrub shouldn't suprise anyone.
So, when Clinton and his surrogate, Carter, intervened with actual honest-to-God U.S. troops to re-install Aristide, that didn't piss anyone off? Not you at least. Even though it set the stage for this year's melee. Hmmm?

Take the blinder's off, and maybe you'll be able to intelligenty discuss Caribbean politics.

Tom aka XR A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Insulting?

Chirimoya said:
XR - What is sad is that you can't debate without being insulting. Chiri
GoodLord, Dearie, what was insulting? If any thing in those last few posts you found insulting that is prima facie evidence that DR1 does need a 'Kiddie Pool', and it's not just to be used by Newbies.

Grow Up! Because someone doesn't agree with your (unfounded and unsubstantiated) positions may seem offensive to you, but I have news for you. That's how the world works.

Take a valium, post more tomorrow. :: smooches ::

Tom aka XR Just when you finally make ends meet, they move the ends.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
I'm sorry, but when did I say that I "liked" Aristide??? You guys have really got to start actually reading the posts of the people that your slobbering to "pounce upon" before you pounce.

As Chiri noted, my comment was about the DR and its democratic process. You may not have liked the elected Presidents Guzman or Fernandez, but Carter and Clinton were instrumental in allowing them to take office and in promoting democracy in the DR.

Aristide was democractically elected. The fact is that, after Venezuela and Haiti, the Caribbean community is, once again, (officially, according to joint statments) horrified that the USA is putting short term political interests ahead of the principle of democracy in our region.

And, again, that people like you condone it bodes very poorly for baldy's exit in a democratic fashion while the frat boy is in office.

There you go again! Making a leading statement, then abandoning that very statement by not completing the thought.

"Aristide was democratically elected"-----Then proceded to deny the very electorate the basics of democracy whaile alluding to the opposite and allowing the corruption endemic in his administration to continue. The same thing happened with your beloved Castro with Chavez and a few others in the "south of the border " countries. They all start out saying they are for "Democracy" in order to get elected, then carry on in the same manner as their predecessors. And you, and people like you come along and aarmchair the political scene into the ground, blaming the USA for every mistake, every corrupt politician, and every economic failure that takes place. Then when the USA takes any action to correct the problems, you deny it's your fault and scream bloody murder about the USA.

It really gets a little tiresome reading your misaligned statements.

Texas Bill

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Good job people, you managed to get the thread closed.

Most of us couldn't careless about US politics.

I suggest *strongly* that some of you stop preaching you political views in regards to the USA, otherwise you will find yourselves without a "post reply" button.

Status
Not open for further replies.