Abuse And The Dominican Woman...

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Cultural Differences

You are right. I remember being in Cumana Venezuela when walking through town a drunken man was beating his wife. Two foreigners tried to intervene. The result was that both the man and his wife turn around and attacked the two foreigners.

Later the police came, the result they told the two to beat it and they should have minded their own business.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
yvette said:
As I've read posts from different threads here on the dr1 forum I must ask this question: Is abuse (mental, emotional, physical, sexual etc.) commonplace for the Domincan woman in the DR, and are there laws to protect her rights as a woman and citizen of the DR?

Yvette
Hi there.

One of the problems when it comes to abuse is the lack of expression many men have here, when it comes to "showing" off the macho culture. This of course, depends on the economic level the male is in.

In the upper classes, the male figure denotes his "respect" through maintaining the wealth, coordinating the lives of his children (this is more so if the child is female than male), etc. However, usually the women keeps track of the finances and is the most charitable person in the family. Thus, upper class males have more ways of releaving their macho culture demands than through abuse means.

Having said that, upper class men are not excused from abusing women, and there have been a few who actually conduct in such disgraceful acts.

When it comes to middle classes, it's more or less similar with the upper classes. However, due to the fact that the middle class have to keep track of their budget much closer than upper class since the middle class feels every change in the economy (good and bad), the expression of machismo becomes slightly more restricted and some men resort to abuse.

Now, the lower class. Many men in this position are not able to provide financial stability to their families, are not well educated and thus don't always make the best choices, and constantly misinterpret certain things that most other people would not. This leads many lower class males to show their machismo through two things: A. Sexual and B. Control

With A, it refers to having sex with as many women as possible while the wife is suppose to simply accept that. However, if the wife even looks at a guy in a slightly "nice" way, that is reason enough for the guy to just blow out of his mind. In essence, men are expected to be with as many women as possible, women are expected to be loyal regardless. Not fair in my opinion, but I did not made the rules, unfortunately.

With B, it refers to controling the life of the spouse. The male takes a paternalistic figure where he often self proclaims to be everything to his wife, in some cases even going as far as saying that he is her father from the moment they met. Yes, very arrogant approach, but its mostly due to his own insecurities of not being able to support the family and/or being on a shoestring and any minute his entire "kingdom" can come crashing down.

Whenever the women does something the male does not like (it could be from laughing at a joke made by another guy too often - obviously this causes jealousy in all men, but some guys take it too far -, all the way to dressing a certain way and/or speaking while the male was speaking, etc). It's a very arrogant system based on control and the one's expected to be submissive with no questions asked are the women. Men, on the other hand, can do as they please, at least that is the prevailing thought.

You can also see this attitudes in the way many people treat their children. You will often see boys running around with little to no chaperon, where as girls are closely monitored, very often told what to do, and very often have to help around the house. If a boy makes sexual expressions, its seen as a gracious cute thing, if a girl makes the samething, it's seen as disturbing and often is followed by punishment.

As with everything in life, these perceptions are not always accurate with every individual in each class, but it is a perception that can be used as a rule of thumb in order to understand this issue.

I (as a Dominican male) have an understanding as to why some men go to the length they do to "stake their claim", but I am not too fond of this control ordeal. I tend to look at my fiance as an individual person who made a mutual agreement to be with me, an agreement that is not set in stone, thus must be treated with care and all fairness when possible. Unfortunately, most men in this country do not see the world like this and prefer to treat their women as if they were property.

Of course, when you asked them to show you the ownership certificate, well, they quiet down a bit, but not without showing "whose the boss".

Many guys here (and a small number women, there are some women that you can swear they are men in nature, women who control their men to a degree that leaves you with your mouth open!) think that "respect" is something that needs to be forced upon to those who are "below" him.

The truth, in my opinion, is that respect should be desired, but is not something that one should focus in attaining and/or forcing others to "show" towards you. Respect is a natural retribution from others towards you, when others see you as worthy of such. Thus, respect can only be genuinely given with no force implied from the part of the receiver and it's a reciprocal act of politeness (or gracefulness) for being an understanding and interesting person to be with.

Many guys here don't understand that, they think respect is not earned, but divinely guaranteed to them and to those who don't show it, they must be forced to do so.

Totally incorrect way of thinking, in my opinion.

Edited to add: Also, many people here do not believe in treating others the way you want to be treated and this comes very clear in spousal relationships. If the women makes an attempt at treating the guy the same way he treated her, then... well you know what follows.

This also is true in father to child relationships. Many fathers here have the false belief that they are not required to receive approval from their children, but their children are required to receive approval from their parents.

Thus, a parent can be as rude, inpolite, harsh, and sometimes violent to a child (such in supermarkets slaping a child in the face simply because the child wanted a candy and did not quiet down - then again, the parents here hardly have patience) and they expect the child to uphold their parents in the most respectful manners.

I understand many parents feel a sense of ownership towards their children, afterall they did brought the child to life. However, parents should parent to receive approval from their children and vice-versa. This should create a much more healthy environment for parent-child relations where children are treated like the actual human beings they are as oppose to just a piece of property. Slavery and endenture slavery ended a long time ago.

Maybe it's just me, but I really feel for those kids I see getting a slap on the face for the most minor things. The thing is that parents here have no shame in this and do this in public, everywhere.

Then they wonder why their kids "revolt" during teenage years!

Women and Children need much more protection, especially children since women have been getting more protection through laws and education. We, as a society, have a long way to go.

This is one of those negative aspects of being a Dominican that actually causes me to have shame on, unfortunately.

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Nalowhs on the money

Nalowhs,

You could not have made it any more clear. My response was to the lower classes of males and not towards the middle and upper classes of families. You brought to light about the other classes. Even though it does happen there as well but not as often. Thanks!

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Dragonfly32837 said:
Abuse is not something that any culture should be OK with.

It does seem like an odd place to draw the line at cultural interference. I wonder in any these guys would sit back and watch his Dominican novia get her *** kicked by Dominican man because that's his cultural perogative.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Larry said:
This is the kind of response I expected from some people. Why don't you go and read my post again? Maybe if you do, you will understand it.

I was using this thread as an example of how we insist on trying to impose our ideals on other cultures. This thread is just one small example of that. I was hoping you would understand that. The fact that it is a touchy subject causes people to respond without digesting what they read.

Let me try a different angle. Let's say that you are in your home city of Toronto or Boston or wherever you may be. Let's say in recent years, there has been a sudden influx of immigrants from Russia or Japan or Afghanistan or wherever. They bring with them certain ideals which are different from what you practice. They might notice that there is an aspect of YOUR culture which is in their eyes archaic. Something, such as the topic we are discussing, which their culture corrected long ago but which is still a problem in your society. In this case, would they be right, as foreigners to tell you, " What I see in your culture is wrong. This is how you can fix it. I can help you." Would they be well recieved in doing so? Should they do it? I don't think so.

I think certain things about Dominican culture we, as foreigners, should leave to Dominicans to iron out. Like I said in my previous post, we don't have to stick out noses everywhere. We should recognize where to draw the line.

Larry
I DO understand your post - I simply believe that no one deserves to be hurt....regardless of country/sex/race - as Scandall said - a basic human right.

Maybe my response was not clear enough

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
hollywood north said:
Violence against anyone is despicable, and as has been stated this is a world-wide problem, spannig all races, religions, and sexes (cuz yes there ARE abused men) so saying it's 'cultural' and 'should we inflict our beliefs on others' - to me is a cop out. What if it was a neighbour of yours in Canada/US /GB wherever? Do you just say oh well?

Agreed it's education and breaking the cycle.

Miguel - we need more like you - everywhere.

Although I am in basic agreement with your POV, I also recognise that our common POV is a culturally ingrained one.. ie our Western POV.. I do not think that all cultures adhere to the principle that violance against anyone is despicable.. I know a lot of cultures accept that violence as a correctional measure.. it's even in the Bible.. the part about non-violence as a universal Judeo-Christian value is arguably not true..

So to say there is an universal right not to have your *** kicked.. is just not true.. we might not like it.. but in other cultures it is an accepted part of life..

Back to the issue at hand, I agree that enlightenment can only come through education and acceptance of the lesson learned by the subject.. in other words, if we would like things to change (ie impose our cultural values, because that's what we would be doing).. then role-models, formal education and women's liberation on an economical level have to be introduced..

To be honest, while I do not condone wife-beating, I also would not like to see the DR turn into a carbon copy of the US or certain European countries, where corporal punishment of children is against the law.. so we have to tread carefully here..

Some posters also advocated active interference, something that I think would quickly turn the tables of acceptance against the 'Western/Anglo-Saxon' morality..

OK, I'm back in my fire-proof shelter again ;)

Fire away..

Last edited:

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Scandall said:
Regardless of culture or whatever I believe people have the "universal right to not have their *** kicked". Call me a simpleton.

Miguel. I know how you feel. If I see it I lose my mind.

I was in Antwerp, Belgium in 1989 with a buddy. We were on the street late at night and saw two men slapping the hell out of some woman. Then one started to kick and punch her. We didn't even hesitate. As we were issuing our ***-whooping to these two waffle-heads the cops pulled up. The woman told them what happened. They called another car for the two wussies then the two cops bought us a beer. It wasn't my "business" but I sure as hell wouldn't want someone to just stand there as I get my *** handed to me by two guys.

Keeping someone from getting physicall abused is not "inflicting our values on a society". Trust me I am not your typical "do-gooder" but there are basic rights that we all have.

So they next time "YOU" are getting the short end of the stick and start to cry foul. Remember, "you shouldn't inflict your values on other societies."

Scandall

'Sir Scandall', you are thus knighted! I believe any PERSON, not just a woman, who is being abused as you witnessed, would be grateful for any assistance that was given. Thumbs up to you and Miguel!

Yvette

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
miguel said:
Man, I will get so much heat for this!!.

I must say that, as Lesley said, to me, education is the key to almost ALL society's problems.

I said it on another thread and I will say it again, but just remember that this is MY OPINION and that not everybody is the same:

TO ME (note: ToO ME), SOME (note: SOME) dominican males are the worse "treaters" of females!. But, I must say:

It has to do with the way the person was brought-up. If you are raised believing that women are "second hand citizens", you will treat them accordingly. If you are raised seeing your father not respect your mother, if you are raised seeing your male relatives have 3 different girlfriends even if they are married, if you are raised believing that it's ok to father kids with other women while you are married, if you are raised seeing your male relatives spent almost all their money on booze and women BEFORE they take care of their kids and house responsabilities, if you are raised believing that ALL the house's chores are supposed to be done by the females, if you are raised believing that the women words means nothing, if you are raised believing that you can get your ways with your ex-partner even after your relationship ended, if are raised to believe that it's fine to come home late or sleep outside of the house even when you are married, if you are raised to believe that it's ok NOT to treat your kids with love and care, if you are raised to believe that the male can over-rule any decision that the females make, if you are raised believing that you can do whatever in hell you want because you are "THE MAN OF THE HOUSE", if you are raised believing that you can use and abuse females mentally, emotionally, verbally and physically............... THEN you are being EDUCATED TO BE JUST THE SAME AS THE MALE "ROLE MODEL"!!!!!!!. (Btw, I could had given 100's of other examples).

I must admit that NOT everybody is the same. SOME are raised the way that I mentioned above and they DO NOT behave that way towards females.

I, all the time, count my lucky stars that I was raised by my wonderful mother, God rest her soul, here in the US, and not by my father. A great man but raised(educated) without love.

I truly believe that many dominican males are products of their education. How did I got to that conclusion?. :

While on vacation in the DR, back in 1985 (I think), when I was 23, I was buying some things in El Conde when I saw this guy in the back seat of a "carro de concho"(taxi) beating the hell out of a woman (crap, he was even biting her forehead). I just can NOT stay away when I see a female being beaten. My 2 dominican friends told me to "mind my own business", to "let it go". Others said "en cosa the marido y mujer uno no se mete" (one should not get involved in husbands/wives matters). The car driver told me that "that's his wife, he can do whatever he wants", a police officer that came to the scene said "they are married, soon they will be happy again". Others said that "ella se lo busco" (she asked for it). I am not a violent person whatsoever but I just told the mother f'er to come out of the car so he can see how it feels to be beaten by someone that will fight back. When he saw that I meant "business" and that my 2 friends were holding me back with force, he came out of the car and run as his axx was on fire. She just said "thanks" and off she went.

Did she went back to him?, I bet she did. Did he beat her again?, I bet he did. Did he got away with it?, I bet be did. Did others just stood "there" looking and did nothing while he beat her?, I bet some did. Did many think that I did the wrong thing?, I can not care less. Would I do it again?, IF I SEE IT EVERY SINGLE DAY, I WILL DO EXACTLY THE SAME EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!.

Bottom line: EDUCATION is the key to just about everything in life.

Ps: This problems exists in EVERY SINGLE country on earth.

Miguel, your post and Nal0whs post have shed a great amount of light on why the abuse and the acceptance occurs. I see that it is as ingrained in the psyche of the Dominican as good etiquette is in royals. Your posts also help me to understand what Larry was trying to say in his post. May the future generations be given and education in human relations that is just and fair. Thank you all. Yvette

katty

Mar 14, 2003
it all goes back to culture and upbringing

This is such a worldwide problem, as to why women stand for it, and yet go back is of no sense to me.
Living in WV for 6 months and DR for another 6 months every year, that put up with this, Here in the states these chicks put up with it as it brings in their welfare checks and food stamps. I may catch heat for this but, they always have the abusers around to collect the goods as well. Now in DR, from what I have seen in my travels certain men who abuse are no different than the one in the states.
I have seen the abusers are not working expecting their women to be their for them and work, and take care of the children in the family, so that they can go out and whore around. It's no diffferent from anywhere else.

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Hello all (1st timer)

Nal0whs said:
Hi there.

One of the problems when it comes to abuse is the lack of expression many men have here, when it comes to "showing" off the macho culture. This of course, depends on the economic level the male is in.

In the upper classes, the male figure denotes his "respect" through maintaining the wealth, coordinating the lives of his children (this is more so if the child is female than male), etc. However, usually the women keeps track of the finances and is the most charitable person in the family. Thus, upper class males have more ways of releaving their macho culture demands than through abuse means.

Having said that, upper class men are not excused from abusing women, and there have been a few who actually conduct in such disgraceful acts.

When it comes to middle classes, it's more or less similar with the upper classes. However, due to the fact that the middle class have to keep track of their budget much closer than upper class since the middle class feels every change in the economy (good and bad), the expression of machismo becomes slightly more restricted and some men resort to abuse.

Now, the lower class. Many men in this position are not able to provide financial stability to their families, are not well educated and thus don't always make the best choices, and constantly misinterpret certain things that most other people would not. This leads many lower class males to show their machismo through two things: A. Sexual and B. Control

With A, it refers to having sex with as many women as possible while the wife is suppose to simply accept that. However, if the wife even looks at a guy in a slightly "nice" way, that is reason enough for the guy to just blow out of his mind. In essence, men are expected to be with as many women as possible, women are expected to be loyal regardless. Not fair in my opinion, but I did not made the rules, unfortunately.

With B, it refers to controling the life of the spouse. The male takes a paternalistic figure where he often self proclaims to be everything to his wife, in some cases even going as far as saying that he is her father from the moment they met. Yes, very arrogant approach, but its mostly due to his own insecurities of not being able to support the family and/or being on a shoestring and any minute his entire "kingdom" can come crashing down.

Whenever the women does something the male does not like (it could be from laughing at a joke made by another guy too often - obviously this causes jealousy in all men, but some guys take it too far -, all the way to dressing a certain way and/or speaking while the male was speaking, etc). It's a very arrogant system based on control and the one's expected to be submissive with no questions asked are the women. Men, on the other hand, can do as they please, at least that is the prevailing thought.

You can also see this attitudes in the way many people treat their children. You will often see boys running around with little to no chaperon, where as girls are closely monitored, very often told what to do, and very often have to help around the house. If a boy makes sexual expressions, its seen as a gracious cute thing, if a girl makes the samething, it's seen as disturbing and often is followed by punishment.

As with everything in life, these perceptions are not always accurate with every individual in each class, but it is a perception that can be used as a rule of thumb in order to understand this issue.

I (as a Dominican male) have an understanding as to why some men go to the length they do to "stake their claim", but I am not too fond of this control ordeal. I tend to look at my fiance as an individual person who made a mutual agreement to be with me, an agreement that is not set in stone, thus must be treated with care and all fairness when possible. Unfortunately, most men in this country do not see the world like this and prefer to treat their women as if they were property.

Of course, when you asked them to show you the ownership certificate, well, they quiet down a bit, but not without showing "whose the boss".

Many guys here (and a small number women, there are some women that you can swear they are men in nature, women who control their men to a degree that leaves you with your mouth open!) think that "respect" is something that needs to be forced upon to those who are "below" him.

The truth, in my opinion, is that respect should be desired, but is not something that one should focus in attaining and/or forcing others to "show" towards you. Respect is a natural retribution from others towards you, when others see you as worthy of such. Thus, respect can only be genuinely given with no force implied from the part of the receiver and it's a reciprocal act of politeness (or gracefulness) for being an understanding and interesting person to be with.

Many guys here don't understand that, they think respect is not earned, but divinely guaranteed to them and to those who don't show it, they must be forced to do so.

Totally incorrect way of thinking, in my opinion.

Edited to add: Also, many people here do not believe in treating others the way you want to be treated and this comes very clear in spousal relationships. If the women makes an attempt at treating the guy the same way he treated her, then... well you know what follows.

This also is true in father to child relationships. Many fathers here have the false belief that they are not required to receive approval from their children, but their children are required to receive approval from their parents.

Thus, a parent can be as rude, inpolite, harsh, and sometimes violent to a child (such in supermarkets slaping a child in the face simply because the child wanted a candy and did not quiet down - then again, the parents here hardly have patience) and they expect the child to uphold their parents in the most respectful manners.

I understand many parents feel a sense of ownership towards their children, afterall they did brought the child to life. However, parents should parent to receive approval from their children and vice-versa. This should create a much more healthy environment for parent-child relations where children are treated like the actual human beings they are as oppose to just a piece of property. Slavery and endenture slavery ended a long time ago.

Maybe it's just me, but I really feel for those kids I see getting a slap on the face for the most minor things. The thing is that parents here have no shame in this and do this in public, everywhere.

Then they wonder why their kids "revolt" during teenage years!

Women and Children need much more protection, especially children since women have been getting more protection through laws and education. We, as a society, have a long way to go.

This is one of those negative aspects of being a Dominican that actually causes me to have shame on, unfortunately.

I have been reading some of these threads for a few days now and have been very entertained I must admit...I am a dominican woman living in the US and I must say that it is refreshing to hear dominican men express views like miguel and Nal0whs have. they are views that any educated dominican person I know, has. Too bad you are both taken ;).

But I am super curious about something. Why are so many of you "expats" moving to DR? I don't know what to make of it... and what exactly is a sankie? did you all come up with that term? hope to get responses and join in future disscussions.
Later, yari

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
rellosk said:
In many of these situations I'm sure they abuser is not providing much financial support in the first place.

BINGO!

I heard about a situation recently where exactly that was the case.

Moca

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
*Long post

Yvette, you have posted about a subject which is a passion of mine. I could write a book about it. As a matter of fact I HAVE written a book about it. I have posted in the past on DR1 on the subject.I even helped a women in the DR who was from Italy. She had literally escaped her own murder by her husband and is now living in the DR. She was 66 years old and FINALLY "Got Away". (see end of post for an article I wrote for our local newspaper")I have done counseling in the USA and the DR to women to teach them how to get out of their situations and change their lives. Miguel and Nahawol (sp?) have both posted great words on the subject and if more men across the WORLD felt this way the issues would be resolved faster. Key words used is some posts are: control,education,money,jealousy , ownership,and change. This is a problem world wide. The causes,and effects are the also same worldwide. This is not a problem unique to the DR. It is true that culture in Latin America and midwestern countries accept it as normal behavior and needing no attention. I have seen big improvements in the DR in terms of help for women and children. If it has taken so long in a country like the USA to improve and educate society then just image how long it will take in countries that accept domestic violence. The article below about one of my best friends. Her story my own personal life story is what motivated me to write my book. My book is dedicated t her. In my John Lennon view of the world I would love to see domestic violence as a thing of the past in my lifetime. Every step that every persont akes to make that possible counts! I will keep up my efforts and hope that others will follow.

Victims Get Away
The recent violent death of a friend has caused a reaction that I feel I must respond to. Domestic violence is denied far too often.

Victims deny it is happening to them. Abusers deny that they are abusing anyone. People need to stop the denial . Start speaking up and stop the cycle that repeats itself far too often.
To victims I will say I have heard all the excuses as to why you can?t leave your abuser. I have used all the excuses. You love him or her, the family needs to stay together, money, its not that bad, you block it out, it doesn?t exist?ect. ect. ect. I used all of these excuses and more. I finally ran out of excuses and broke away from the fear that had gone on for far too many years.

There is no excuse that is strong enough to take the place of a life. My friend waited too long. It?s too late for her and her family. Please, if you are in an environment where you fear for your life or someone else?s life LEAVE NOW. Your life is a valuable thing. You deserve a better life.

There are several agencies in the area that will help you get through the fear of leaving and teach you how to live a full and happy life without abuse. All of you have friends and professionals who can help you get strong and NEVER live with abuse again.

The newspaper article about my friends murder contained a statement from the Charlton Police Chief. He said that there were five other domestic disturbances calls within the same 12 hour period that the department was called to the murder scene. Think about it. That?s just one town. How many other calls were there in the Tri-Community area or the county and state for that time period? How many calls were not made that should have been? When does it stop? When all the victims are dead and all the abusers are in jail?

I hope that the five other people who had to call the police for help are seriously thinking about their personal situations. I hope they know that NOTHING they have done makes them deserve their abuse.

Please abused and abusers seek help through the available agencies and improve yours and your families quality of life. Life is precious and needs to be treated as such

Love is not abuse. Please break free of the violence and learn to love yourself.

Got Away

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is a 50% divorce rate in the DR. That is only one of every two couples that marry will stay together. While reasons for divorce are many, this also can mean that Dominican women are not willing to put up with abuse too long. As is logical, as women become financially independent, they are more likely to get out of a marriage that is not working.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
dulce said:
Yvette, you have posted about a subject which is a passion of mine. I could write a book about it. As a matter of fact I HAVE written a book about it. I have posted in the past on DR1 on the subject.I even helped a women in the DR who was from Italy. She had literally escaped her own murder by her husband and is now living in the DR. She was 66 years old and FINALLY "Got Away". (see end of post for an article I wrote for our local newspaper")I have done counseling in the USA and the DR to women to teach them how to get out of their situations and change their lives. Miguel and Nahawol (sp?) have both posted great words on the subject and if more men across the WORLD felt this way the issues would be resolved faster. Key words used is some posts are: control,education,money,jealousy , ownership,and change. This is a problem world wide. The causes,and effects are the also same worldwide. This is not a problem unique to the DR. It is true that culture in Latin America and midwestern countries accept it as normal behavior and needing no attention. I have seen big improvements in the DR in terms of help for women and children. If it has taken so long in a country like the USA to improve and educate society then just image how long it will take in countries that accept domestic violence. The article below about one of my best friends. Her story my own personal life story is what motivated me to write my book. My book is dedicated t her. In my John Lennon view of the world I would love to see domestic violence as a thing of the past in my lifetime. Every step that every persont akes to make that possible counts! I will keep up my efforts and hope that others will follow.

Victims Get Away
The recent violent death of a friend has caused a reaction that I feel I must respond to. Domestic violence is denied far too often.

Victims deny it is happening to them. Abusers deny that they are abusing anyone. People need to stop the denial . Start speaking up and stop the cycle that repeats itself far too often.
To victims I will say I have heard all the excuses as to why you can?t leave your abuser. I have used all the excuses. You love him or her, the family needs to stay together, money, its not that bad, you block it out, it doesn?t exist?ect. ect. ect. I used all of these excuses and more. I finally ran out of excuses and broke away from the fear that had gone on for far too many years.

There is no excuse that is strong enough to take the place of a life. My friend waited too long. It?s too late for her and her family. Please, if you are in an environment where you fear for your life or someone else?s life LEAVE NOW. Your life is a valuable thing. You deserve a better life.

There are several agencies in the area that will help you get through the fear of leaving and teach you how to live a full and happy life without abuse. All of you have friends and professionals who can help you get strong and NEVER live with abuse again.

The newspaper article about my friends murder contained a statement from the Charlton Police Chief. He said that there were five other domestic disturbances calls within the same 12 hour period that the department was called to the murder scene. Think about it. That?s just one town. How many other calls were there in the Tri-Community area or the county and state for that time period? How many calls were not made that should have been? When does it stop? When all the victims are dead and all the abusers are in jail?

I hope that the five other people who had to call the police for help are seriously thinking about their personal situations. I hope they know that NOTHING they have done makes them deserve their abuse.

Please abused and abusers seek help through the available agencies and improve yours and your families quality of life. Life is precious and needs to be treated as such

Love is not abuse. Please break free of the violence and learn to love yourself.

dulce, Got Away

Is your book published yet? If yes, is it available in the US? Your post was sadly enlightening. Thanks, Yvette

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
yes in books written by men.

MerengueDutchie said:
Although I am in basic agreement with your POV, I also recognise that our common POV is a culturally ingrained one.. ie our Western POV.. I do not think that all cultures adhere to the principle that violance against anyone is despicable.. I know a lot of cultures accept that violence as a correctional measure.. it's even in the Bible.. the part about non-violence as a universal Judeo-Christian value is arguably not true..

So to say there is an universal right not to have your *** kicked.. is just not true.. we might not like it.. but in other cultures it is an accepted part of life..

Back to the issue at hand, I agree that enlightenment can only come through education and acceptance of the lesson learned by the subject.. in other words, if we would like things to change (ie impose our cultural values, because that's what we would be doing).. then role-models, formal education and women's liberation on an economical level have to be introduced..

To be honest, while I do not condone wife-beating, I also would not like to see the DR turn into a carbon copy of the US or certain European countries, where corporal punishment of children is against the law.. so we have to tread carefully here..

Some posters also advocated active interference, something that I think would quickly turn the tables of acceptance against the 'Western/Anglo-Saxon' morality..

OK, I'm back in my fire-proof shelter again ;)

Fire away..

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Yvette,
No my book is not published. I ran out of money to self promote and like anything else in life..... a connection in the publishing world is usually needed to get a book published.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
To answer your question here is what I found

Yvette,

An influential woman who was behind the government involvement in this issue in the DR was: Yadira Henr?quez de S?nchez Baret.

Yadira was the former Secretary of State of Women (Affairs) (Secretar?a de Estado de la Mujer) and she played an active role in world organizations such as the OEA (Organizaci?n de Estados Americanos) and local organizations in the campaign against domestic violence. Her involvement included studies and reports on domestic violence in the DR, detailing age groups and the socioeconomic differences among abused women.

Two documents that I found interesting are:

1) A report by Yadira presented to the OEA, which is an overview of domestic violence in the DR
2) A presentation by CONAPLUVI which is an educational campaign that was put together for promotion in the DR.

I. Brief overview of Yadira?s report:

Efforts to address violence against women in the DR really began in the 80's although the most visible efforts and actions that have been taking place are all part of recent endeavors since the turn of the century. The coordinated efforts and actions of Dominican women in politics, NGO's (ONG), and legislators paved the way for the creation of Law 24-97, which is the law against domestic violence.

In her report Yadira recognizes much more analysis is needed to fully determine how domestic violence affects women however, with more and more reported cases in depth studies will be carried out to assess the psychological, anthropological and economic perspectives of this type of violence. At the time the study was conducted the most frequent types of violence reported to the Department of Protection of Women (El Departamento de Protecci?n a la Mujer) were:

i) sexual violence (51%)
ii) physical violence (24%)
iii) psychological violence (23%)

(source pg 9, Seminario Internacional sobre Violencia Intrafamiliar) See link below.

Some action steps since Law 24-97 has been in effect:

► A new department was created called Departamento de no Violencia.
- the objective is to provide legal advice and psychological support to abused women.
- to coordinate and serve as a key link in the objectives proposed towards eradicating domestic violence.

► Yadira's achievements included:
- police training
- training for judges and prosecutors
- training for organized groups
- the creation of CONAPLUVI (La Comisi?n Nacional de Prevenci?n y Lucha contra la Violencia Intrafamiliar)
- via Law 24-97, Law 14-94 was created which protects all children and adolescents against violence.

Pages 16-17 outlines Yadira?s future goals and perspectives as Secretary of State of Women (and all programs under her commission)

Overtime I am sure we will evidence the efforts of the current Secretary of State of Women (Affairs)- Gladys Guti?rrez.

II. 'El Modelo nacional' by CONAPLUVI:

- The national model on domestic violence prevention prepared by CONAPLUVI is geared toward educating everyone country wide about domestic violence.
-Due to the length of presentation I will not get into details but I will attach the link so you all can view it at your leisure. It?s a well-put together document with key objectives, strategies, and details about community support groups etc.

My thoughts:

Gone are the days when women need to internalize their fears and stay in repressive relationships which forces them to exhibit submissiveness due to cultural boundaries. Great strides have been made in the DR in a short period of time as evidenced by the availability of information, support groups, counseling and the willingness by the government to provide education to all starting with the core part of problem which is social upbringing. In the DR and other Latin American countries addressing domestic violence will take more time in comparison to the Western world (which took a very long time as well) due to machismo, which remains present in Latin culture but the biggest stride in the DR has been made which is 'acknowledgement that there is a problem'. Just to compare in Puerto Rico the government began seriously addressing domestic violence and abuse against women in 2000/2001 therefore the DR is not that far behind PR in terms of establishing laws, support groups, and publicizing education campaigns as a means to curb the violence at an early stage.

The onus is on society as whole to address and remedy this long-standing problem. Abuse in general should not be part of any relationship and specific to female abuse women need to also realize that denial, acceptance and complacency are learned behaviors that can be unlearned if they choose to. Change will come but we have to be aware of the opportunities that are out there and most of all be willing to take that first step.

Yadira's report

CONAPLUVI-Presentation

LDG.

-----------------------
Planner,

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate your comments.

LDG.

yvette said:
Lesley, thanks for the link to the newspaper artical and the info on the laws regarding domestic violence, because this kind of abuse is an act of violence. Are there no women government officials who will go to bat for the cause of protecting these women, and to help enforce stronger laws to convict and sentence to jail, these perpetrators?

Yvette

Last edited:

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Lesley, thanks for all of the research, more power to you to continue. Kudos to Yaidira, a woman on the move!

Yvette

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
yvette said:
Lesley, thanks for all of the research, more power to you to continue. Kudos to Yaidira, a woman on the move!

Yvette
that was a great thread..i agree with what dragonfly said...abuse in any culture is uncalled for...this thread could have been about any country on this planet of ours.