ADD: Anti-Dominicano Days

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
AZB said:
You gringos come to DR, live in gated gringo community, surrounded by poor dominicans (who are considered "dirt" by decent dominicans) and then complain of foul-play??? Hahahahaha, that is the price you pay to live with poor low life dominicans in to coastal areas.
Now if you want a little bit of peace of mind, come live in santiago but in the better areas where the dominicans are economically equal or better than you. Then and only then you will surround yourself with good dominicans. Now all the prices will be the same for you as they are for them. No more rip offs and no more cheap cat & mouse games. But first thing first: please learn to speak spanish and act like you respect dominicans. Life can be so much easier if you only socialize with the decent better class dominicans.
Oh wait, in your world, all dominicans are poor and cheaters. Right?
Welcome to DR.
AZB

AZB....

I believe that people come here to this country and for the most part show a great deal of respect to Dominicans. How you see them not having respect...I would like to know. Because I have never seen it.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
NV_ said:
I know exactly what you're talking about. Heres another example of Dominican greed over common sense: I was at a big intersection in S.D. and one of those guys selling cell phone belt clips and similiar stuff walks up to my window. I had bought a cell phone a couple months back so I was interested (first mistake, looking interested) in buying a cover or belt clip for it. Well I roll down the window and in my most Dominican accent (im a Cuban from Miami so the latino accent isnt a problem, doesnt matter though) I say, "Dime hermano cuanto quieres por este?" His initial reply, "500". I then say, "Pero vamos pa'na, la cosa 'ta dura, dame un buen precio" His next offer is " 'ta bien, te lo acomodo en 450" Even in my most Dominican "thug" speak, I couldnt get them to be honest about pricing.

At this point he's already lost the sale although he doesnt realize it. I start to roll up the window and thats when he goes "para te en la esquina y te doy un mejor precio". Well at this point im fed up with the guy not wanting to give me a "real" price and drive away. Now instead of this poor S.O.B. getting my money, some well off cell phone store owner will get it.

If they'd only realize they would have much more profit if they would price competitively and move more merchandise but that is not the way most Dominicans run their businesses.

When I was in SD for a week in January, I was pre-conditioned to expect a rip-off in every other business transaction. A local casa de cambio would only offer me 27.5 pesos/1 dollar to change a $100.00 travelers checque because they did not "know" me; they would have offered my friend(who lived down the street) 29 to 1 if he had gone without me. I didn't tell him I had $6,000.00 to change, too bad for him, Banco Popular gave me 29.75
BTW, I'm Dominican and can speak as poorly as the worst and well as the best; it didn't help.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
TEHAMA said:
I'm not sure if its just me, but I wanted to know if anyone else experiences what I am calling ADD (Anti-Dominicano Days). It seems like every week- week and half, I go through this. They really make me sick and I don't want to see or even hear a Dominican. I know it might sound harsh, but I get tired and fed-up with all the mind games, trickery, and straight-out BS which they obviously never seem to weary from.

During these days about the only Dominican I feel I could tolerate is a cashier. I put my purchases on the counter she/he rings them up, the price is there, I pay and go. Anything beyond that is subject to fraud, lies and deceit.

People say,"oh they're poor and desperate." while that may be true I tend to simply think of them as greedy. I tip my Security every week. Rather generously I think, considering many herein the building do not. This has paid off for me through small unrequested favors. But why would they jeopardize their jobs to do a cat and mouse game with the gas tanks for a couple of hundred more pesos? I admit. I would not make a fuss over couple of hundred pesos (and I think they know this), well my neighbor didn't take it as lightly.

Its 5 AM... and yes I am up venting over my ADD and pondering what new piece of Dominican Bullshtt will this new day bring.
TEHAMA
I think everybody goes through this once a while. That's when you know that you need a quick vacation far away somewhere.

It's time for you to take a trip somewhere for a week or so...

And about the notion that Dominicans are "poor blah blah blah", keep in mind that capitalism is trying to take hold here (SDQ is well into it) and as such, people are becoming or have become extremely materialistic. What matters now is money money money and nothing else.

Welcome to the Dominican Republic of the 21st century.

As weird this may sound, greed is what makes the world go round, the human capitalistic world at least.

Greed is depicted in different forms, more often in the desire for more money, but people act upon such thing.

Think about it, all those kids coming to "build houses for the poor" in several humanitarian programs, the first thing they tell you is that they did it because THEY FELT GOOD ABOUT IT. I wonder if helping poor people did not felt good whether anybody would actually do it, I just wonder. BTW, that is a form of greed there.

The other forms are clearly visible. The point is that greed in all its forms yields good for more than one person in certain cases, not in all cases. The greed of one entrepreneruial person yields jobs for a few non-entrepreneurial people, etc.

Don't you just love Capitalism... but back to the topic, you need a vacation.

May I suggest Martinique? Its close, civilized, beautiful, and very chic. That's a nice spot to take a break from the Dominican world. Even I need a break from all of this from time to time and I was born here!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Where do they find these people!

I, in a way, understand what you are saying. But....

To have those "ADD" days, all the time, on a place that you choose to live, it's beyond me. And to make matter worse, you are saying that ALLLLL dominicans are the same. You don't like it, get the hell out.

When I spent 2 months in the DR, back in 1996, I could not take it any more. I thought that I was going out of my mind. I had planned to stay for 6 months and since I was not happy at all, I got the hell out of the country!. I did not blamed dominicans for all my problems. It was just a culture's shock and nothing more.

I was not about to be a cry-baby and blame the whole country for my unhappiness. In time, I realized that I was more home-sick than anything else, I missed my family, job and friends.

We have a choice to either be miserable or be happy and if you are in a place that does not makes you happy, for your own good, you either go to a place that makes you happy or just try and adjust to your surroundings and learn how to cope with those "ADD" days.

I am afraid that one of these days, you will meet a very proud dominican and if you tell him/her the way you feel for them, he/she will tell you exactly what I am telling you: GET THE HELL OUT!!.

Btw, you may say that you are nice person but by you saying that if they even ask you for a peso you would fire them says volumes about your "niceness". It you have the need to say something like that because you are miserable, then you need to do something before it's to late. Do every dominican that ever lived a favor, take a vacation to a far, far away country. May I sugest your own country!.

Ps: May I ask what are the circuntances that are keeping you there?.

Last edited:

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
Yeah, Tehama Dominicans can get on your nerves. But don't see it as something that you must indure. I think you should see as something to make your day more interesting. For example someone mentioned a phone-clip guy at an intersection, I constantly spend my 90 seconds(traffic light) haggling over the price of something I know I will not buy, just for the fun of it. I make sure they think I want and before you know it concho behind me is beep-beeping his little heart out. Then you make like you are going to pull over at the corner and they run after you. And you can find something for just about anyone. As for your security people, I think they should be change. And remember Dominicans are almost all businessmen/women so you must negociate everything. I know this I am Dominican.

This is of topic but I want to share it with all dr1ers. When I started my business, one of my partner's father, who was very experienced in the field was helping us set up shop. I man was contracted to do all the metal work. After he gave us his estimate, which was very low to beging with(we had two other estimates)Mr. Pichardo says to him " ok now knock off 10%", to which the man replied he could not because he had allready gone very low with his estimate. So Pichardo says hey we are in the D.R. you know that I expect a rebate. So this man had to lower it 5% and complained about it until he completed his job. Mr. Pichardo knew the original price was good but if he could get it lower it would be better. This is one of the must honest person I know it was not about knowing what was right or wrong it was about getting the best deal possible from the man.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
miguel said:
I, in a way, understand what you are saying. But....

To have those "ADD" days, all the time, on a place that you choose to live, it's beyond me. And to make matter worse, you are saying that ALLLLL dominicans are the same. You don't like it, get the hell out.

When I spent 2 months in the DR, back in 1996, I could not take it any more. I thought that I was going out of my mind. I had planned to stay for 6 months and since I was not happy at all, I got the hell out of the country!. I did not blamed dominicans for all my problems. It was just a culture's shock and nothing more.

I was not about to be a cry-baby and blame the whole country for my unhappiness. In time, I realized that I was more home-sick than anything else, I missed my family, job and friends.

We have a choice to either be miserable or be happy and if you are in a place that does not makes you happy, for your own good, you either go to a place that makes you happy or just try and adjust to your surroundings and learn how to cope with those "ADD" days.

I am afraid that one of these days, you will meet a very proud dominican and if you tell him/her the way you feel for them, he/she will tell you exactly what I am telling you: GET THE HELL OUT!!.

Btw, you may say that you are nice person but by you saying that if they even ask you for a peso you would fire them says volumes about your "niceness". It you have the need to say something like that because you are miserable, then you need to do something before it's to late. Do every dominican that ever lived a favor, take a vacation to a far, far away country. May I sugest your own country!.

Ps: May I ask what are the circuntances that are keeping you there?.
now,now let's just be nice today to everyone (new york). ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NV_ said:
I know exactly what you're talking about. Heres another example of Dominican greed over common sense: I was at a big intersection in S.D. and one of those guys selling cell phone belt clips and similiar stuff walks up to my window. I had bought a cell phone a couple months back so I was interested (first mistake, looking interested) in buying a cover or belt clip for it. Well I roll down the window and in my most Dominican accent (im a Cuban from Miami so the latino accent isnt a problem, doesnt matter though) I say, "Dime hermano cuanto quieres por este?" His initial reply, "500". I then say, "Pero vamos pa'na, la cosa 'ta dura, dame un buen precio" His next offer is " 'ta bien, te lo acomodo en 450" Even in my most Dominican "thug" speak, I couldnt get them to be honest about pricing.

At this point he's already lost the sale although he doesnt realize it. I start to roll up the window and thats when he goes "para te en la esquina y te doy un mejor precio". Well at this point im fed up with the guy not wanting to give me a "real" price and drive away. Now instead of this poor S.O.B. getting my money, some well off cell phone store owner will get it.

If they'd only realize they would have much more profit if they would price competitively and move more merchandise but that is not the way most Dominicans run their businesses.

Well, maybe that is why the well off cell phone store owner is much more well off than the uneducated street guy!

Things like this happen to me all the time, except that I never buy anything from street vendors but my car and Jeepeta attracts them like a magnet! I'm thinking of taping a small paper sign on my car windows saying "no quiero nada, gracias".

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
And then yesterday I had a whole lot of stuff to do - and also it was the final day to pay Itbis taxes for January, money that our accountant did not have - as I neglected to sign a check for this. To save me from paying the fines if I paid a day late, our accountant simply took the cash money out of her pocket and paid. No where have you ever heard of an Accountant doing this?

If we take a leaf out of the HillBilly's "3 Rules for Dating a Dominican Book, Robert's comment would be rule number one for Surviving in the Dominican Republic.
Rule 1 - Surround yourself with good people.

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
[B]Here's a Question?????[/B]

If people from other countries (mostly non-spanish,white) come to this country and complain about being taken advantage off then why do most of you perpetuate the problem?

Let me ask what dominican would tip their security guys weekly ? Gime me a brake and then you have the balls to complaint when they see you as a ATM instead of a person?

I have a lot of american friends here and most of them go through what you guys are talking about but they ask for it. Just the other day a friend of mine tipped the colmado delivery guy around $60 pesos!!!! When I asked him is he was crazy his reply was that that's what he would have given if he was back in the U.S. plus the colmado knows him by now and he never has to wait for anything because he's such a good tipper. I know sooner of later he won't be able to tip the colmado delivery so much and when that happens all the crying will start about dominicans being a bunch of thiefs and lowlifes because they're supposed to remember all the past tips and run like lightning when he wants something. The reality is that when people get used to something then that's what they expect from that moment on. Do like every other dominican on this island and tip the colmado $10-$15 pesos the most and then you'll see that you'll never be taken advantage off. Learn that you're not in your country of origin so play by the rules here.

I remember when I was stationed in Korea for a year and feeling the same way most of you are untill I learned all the rules and used them to my advantage instead of getting angry and categorizing all koreans in the same way.

My advice to all of you is to stop acting like tourist if you live here and start dominicanizing yourselfs. Get some "tigeraje" and you're life will get easier.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Chris said:
If we take a leaf out of the HillBilly's "3 Rules for Dating a Dominican Book, Robert's comment would be rule number one for Surviving in the Dominican Republic.
Rule 1 - Surround yourself with good people.

Personally, I am sick of hearing that rule. Hillbilly has mentioned that over and over...and I am happy that he knows GOOD people.

For me its more like finding a needle in a haystack. I had a medical doctor in a causal meeting (not for treatmenet or service) try to get $60 from me a couple of months ago. Very friendly guy, but a Dominican none-the-less.

Its just part of the culture and I guess they don't respect you if you are too free with your money.

(He didn't get a nickel)
TEHAMA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Rocky" For POST OF THE YEAR!!!

"AZB",for "Same Old $hit"="SOS",post of the day!(How about something "New" for a change "AZB" some of us have been "Here" for more than 15 minutes!!)We don't live in Puerto Plata,go to "AIs",or only associate with "Low Life Chopos"and we still think that many "Rich"Dominicans are lying thieves!!

"All" Third World Countries are NOT the same! I have lived in many of them,some "Hispanic".(Venezuela)Mostly "Asian",VietNam,Thailand,Philipines,Taiwan.The "Asians" can make an international economy with the trash that Dominicans throw in the street!!!!!!!!!!And be polite and orderly in the process!

Some reach for a COLD PRESIDENTE at the end of a tough day.I reach for a HOT PRINCESA,or two if available!
If your day "$ucks",just be sure that your afternoon "$ucks" :eek: too!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Criss Colon "All" Third World Countries are NOT the same! I have lived in many of them said:
I too have lived in Asia and I completely agree with your assessment.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
TEHAMA said:
Personally, I am sick of hearing that rule. Hillbilly has mentioned that over and over...and I am happy that he knows GOOD people.

For me its more like finding a needle in a haystack. I had a medical doctor in a causal meeting (not for treatmenet or service) try to get $60 from me a couple of months ago. Very friendly guy, but a Dominican none-the-less.

Its just part of the culture and I guess they don't respect you if you are too free with your money.

(He didn't get a nickel)
TEHAMA

Tehama (no, I'm not from the spelling police, I just don't know what you mean) a 'causal' meeting, or a 'casual' meeting?

Why on earth did he want money from you?

It may not work for everyone, but if I get a request for money like this, I simply say that I need some too. And if he professes to be my friend, I'll be grateful if he now gives me some money. And my rates are the same as his.. I've just spent x hours with him and I need to be paid. So, pay my bill already!

If you can do something like this with a sense of humor, it usually defuses the situation and the person understands that you're not there for a free handout. Somehow, in time, the requests dwindle to nothing as you sort out who you want to deal with and who not. And yes, I agree, this is like looking for a needle in a haystack and it does take time. And believe me, we've been through the same process. In time, you'll almost know immediately who to deal with and who not, when to get angry and when to simply defuse the situation with humor.

Another thing, for any new type of business or purchase or so on, I'm very quick to call on someone who has been there before to go with me, make an introduction or just ease the way - and it is not always easy to ask for this kind of help. But, it is most important here to make that personal connection, even if it is a garage to get your car fixed. Ask someone to make an introduction.

It is clear that you're mighty upset. But it does pass. As far as the people that sell stuff at the lights, I simply close my window and ignore them - I don't even try and negotiate a purchase, time is too short.

All I can say, is that the gringo factor decreases as one gets more comfortable with your surroundings, the people around you and who you deal with, and most importantly, how you deal.

Get a little break from it all and take some time out... It really does change with time.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Although I don't like being bothered most of the time by vendors in the street, I would never play a game with someone (who even though their business ethic is nonexistent probably due to ignorance of a better standard) to make them think I was going to buy when I had no intention of doing so. Where I come from we have something called "acting in good faith". You simply don't do that kind of thing. It is possible to do business where that you walk away very happy and the other party does also. Why leave someone feeling like they worked just a little to hard for the fine job they did for you.

Now I will give you a story so that you can compare culture. When I was a younger man and mowed yards for spending money...I would finish this one families yard and the woman of the house would say....your pay is on the table in the house...go on in and get it and get yourself cold drink out of the fridge. Problem was when I got to the table there was not just my $3.00, there was a lot of money sitting there. Well of course I took $3.00, got my coke, and left.

There was this man I knew. Let me tell you how he would do business. I wanted this car from this man that lived down the road. So, I go to him and ask him...Hubert, how much do you want for that car out there. And he said....well, I'm going to leave that up to you. You know in your heart what is a fair price....and I believe you are a good person. You pay me what you want for it. I will accept anything. Let me know tomorrow. Well, I tossed and turned all night. Next day I probably paid him more than he thought he would get. Later on I found out that was his trademark.

thepiper said:
Yeah, Tehama Dominicans can get on your nerves. But don't see it as something that you must indure. I think you should see as something to make your day more interesting. For example someone mentioned a phone-clip guy at an intersection, I constantly spend my 90 seconds(traffic light) haggling over the price of something I know I will not buy, just for the fun of it. I make sure they think I want and before you know it concho behind me is beep-beeping his little heart out. Then you make like you are going to pull over at the corner and they run after you. And you can find something for just about anyone. As for your security people, I think they should be change. And remember Dominicans are almost all businessmen/women so you must negociate everything. I know this I am Dominican.

This is of topic but I want to share it with all dr1ers. When I started my business, one of my partner's father, who was very experienced in the field was helping us set up shop. I man was contracted to do all the metal work. After he gave us his estimate, which was very low to beging with(we had two other estimates)Mr. Pichardo says to him " ok now knock off 10%", to which the man replied he could not because he had allready gone very low with his estimate. So Pichardo says hey we are in the D.R. you know that I expect a rebate. So this man had to lower it 5% and complained about it until he completed his job. Mr. Pichardo knew the original price was good but if he could get it lower it would be better. This is one of the must honest person I know it was not about knowing what was right or wrong it was about getting the best deal possible from the man.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I sometimes tip the colmado guy more than would be considered normal. There is nothing wrong with this. I do the same in the USA. Friend used to say..."the tip will dearly reflect". And it did. And I will not tip if the service is not good...tip if good...and tip great if it is very good. Sometimes the colmado guy is very good. And there is a dominican guy here that tips the security guy monthly $300 pesos. I don't see that kind of thing here often...but I sure like living near a dominican who understands that the security guy probably doesnt have a chance in hell of improving his lot in life and thus is willing to show some compassion and appreciation for a job well done.

MONCHI8 said:
If people from other countries (mostly non-spanish,white) come to this country and complain about being taken advantage off then why do most of you perpetuate the problem?

Let me ask what dominican would tip their security guys weekly ? Gime me a brake and then you have the balls to complaint when they see you as a ATM instead of a person?

I have a lot of american friends here and most of them go through what you guys are talking about but they ask for it. Just the other day a friend of mine tipped the colmado delivery guy around $60 pesos!!!! When I asked him is he was crazy his reply was that that's what he would have given if he was back in the U.S. plus the colmado knows him by now and he never has to wait for anything because he's such a good tipper. I know sooner of later he won't be able to tip the colmado delivery so much and when that happens all the crying will start about dominicans being a bunch of thiefs and lowlifes because they're supposed to remember all the past tips and run like lightning when he wants something. The reality is that when people get used to something then that's what they expect from that moment on. Do like every other dominican on this island and tip the colmado $10-$15 pesos the most and then you'll see that you'll never be taken advantage off. Learn that you're not in your country of origin so play by the rules here.

I remember when I was stationed in Korea for a year and feeling the same way most of you are untill I learned all the rules and used them to my advantage instead of getting angry and categorizing all koreans in the same way.

My advice to all of you is to stop acting like tourist if you live here and start dominicanizing yourselfs. Get some "tigeraje" and you're life will get easier.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Snuffy said:
Although I don't like being bothered most of the time by vendors in the street, I would never play a game with someone (who even though their business ethic is nonexistent probably due to ignorance of a better standard) to make them think I was going to buy when I had no intention of doing so.
I could not agree more, although I do find them bothersome at times, but I'm glad that they are working for a living, rather than stealing.
The only street vendors that taste my wrath are those who toss their wet soapy sponges on my already clean windshield, at which point I grab it & toss it as far as I can into the traffic. There are limits to what one can accept and tolerate, and I ain't no door mat...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rocky said:
I could not agree more, although I do find them bothersome at times, but I'm glad that they are working for a living, rather than stealing.
The only street vendors that taste my wrath are those who toss their wet soapy sponges on my already clean windshield, at which point I grab it & toss it as far as I can into the traffic. There are limits to what one can accept and tolerate, and I ain't no door mat...

Isn't this just the pits! I cannot abide this, by about the second light and the second set of wet sponges, I lose it... Usually the windscreen wipers go on and I have visions of windscreen wipers with ballistic missiles on them... But then I cannot shout at them, 'cause they're just kids usually... I'm always the loser in this situation.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!

Chris said:
All I can say, is that the gringo factor decreases as one gets more comfortable with your surroundings, the people around you and who you deal with, and most importantly, how you deal.
Indeed Chris but that will only happen if the person truly wants. Some people are not willing to change no matter what. For some, it's easier to complain and feel sorry for themselves instead of going out and see what's out there.

How is it that the saying goes, "guilty by association"?. Want to get treated better, surround yourself with better people.

If I had a "chele" (penny) for every time a dominican person asked me for "something", I would be a Quizilionaire right now. But since I have better things to do with my life than complain and make my life miserable, I just let it go. One sees vendors on the streets every single day so that means that if those people get on my nerves every time I see them, I will be unhappy EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's their way of life and they ARE NOT going away so I better get used to them or be miserable every day. My choice is to get used to them.

While in SD not long ago, I made the stupid mistake of telling a sale clerk, "I can buy these batteries cheaper in the US" to which he replied, " then, why are you getting them here, you are here now and not there?. I understood immediately what he meant. I made a stupid comment and I got what I deserved, a stern answer from an every-day dominican. The point: this is my country, you do not like our prices, go buy it where you are from.

I am still waiting for an answer to my question(on my first post).

Amazing!. The little things that get some people all "bend out of shape"!!!!.

Last edited: