Another Gringo Strikes Out To Make It In the DR - Coming 12/27/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
ahhh yes the DR

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember,
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways.
I still remember the talks by the water, the proud sons and daughters that,
In the knowledge of the land, spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways.

Mother life, hold firmly on to me.
Catch my knowledge higher than the day.
Lose as much as only you can show.
Though you've seen them, please don't say a word.
What I don't know, I have never shared".

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THEY OFTEN CALL"WHITE PEOPLE",....................."RUBIO"(BLONDIE) EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT BLOND!
Go Figure???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
But don't think that your "color" doesn't have "implications" in the DR!

AlexMitchell

Dec 6, 2011
yes. depending on the country - the word gringo may have different meanings. I have been told that I look Dominican. i am sure I will fit in without a problem.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Preconcieved notions about the DR are always wrong!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It's,"Upside Down,and Backwards here"!

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome Young, Intelligent and Eager Brother

Advice ??

DO NOT get serious (marriage-kids) with any woman for at least two years until you understand the culture.

In other words, rent everything - buy nothing. You are most likely going to disregard this advice, get married quickly and then come back to this site complaining about the aftermath.

Initially you will be overwhelmed by the hot babes. It will take a while to recognize that they are a dime a dozen in the DR. therefore, there is no reason to rush.

Do Not get serious with any woman - no marriage - at least two years.

This post is GREAT advice so please for your sake take it. Protect yourself before you wreck yourself. Count to five hundred (women that is) before saying anything like "She may be the one". This a time for you to go get your fortune using your gift of intelligence. Build upon that young brother. Good luck.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Is it just me or isn't gringo a word used for white people!? I mean, dude saying he's African American yet refers himself as a gringo?!?!

:confused:

I'm AA and I've also been called a gringo by dominicans. I was surprised because I thought the same as you did. I believe now the term applies to foreigners. I'm not sure and I really don't care.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
AA vs. AA

I'm AA and I've also been called a gringo by dominicans. (...) I believe now the term applies to foreigners.

Maybe because Dominicans believe that all gringos drink... :classic:

donP

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Hey, Alex, wish you luck and good fortune!! Too many fine chicks here to get involved with right away!! Take it slow...ENJOY and get busy.

SUERTE HERMANO!

AlexMitchell

Dec 6, 2011
If your Spanish is as good as you say it is then leave those sites alone.

Whats weird is that - even tho I am relatively attractive, and still a young 31 years old, I have never been good at the chatting-up thing. I met my now ex (wife I am separated from ) online in 2003. Before that I was with a girl since 1996. So I have been in continuous relationships since 1996 when I was 16 yrs old. My Spanish is cool - just gotta learn the game some.

eugenedmngz

Oct 30, 2010
So are USA "native" born (Generation Y and Z) Latinos/Hispanics "GRINGO's" as well?

I'm a first generation Dominican-American. Every time I go to DR, I've been referred to as a gingo in a tounge and cheek manner, even though both my parents were born and raised there and didn't migrate to America until both were damn near close to 30, I think it's just a general term for anyone born outside.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I suggest you learn some, it will serve you better in long run. Dating sites are for guys looking for instant gratification with minimal risk of rejection. It may be good for your ego in the short term but you'll end up being one the many bitter dudes that are distrustful of all Dominican women because you limited your dating pool to hustlers looking to get as much as they can out of you.

Whats weird is that - even tho I am relatively attractive, and still a young 31 years old, I have never been good at the chatting-up thing. I met my now ex (wife I am separated from ) online in 2003. Before that I was with a girl since 1996. So I have been in continuous relationships since 1996 when I was 16 yrs old. My Spanish is cool - just gotta learn the game some.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Alex let me help you I am about to give you some REAL advice you sound like a really cool trustworthy brother, and I can tell because you are 31yrs old and have zero kids and run your own business that takes smarts.
1st: Tell no one this is your first time in DR on EL Conde or Malecon, say something like you spend all your time in Sanitago or PP. You will see why this is number 1.
2nd: Do not let these women know you are single, and PLEASE do not ever tell them you have a thing for Dominican women. Tell them you have a girl back in the States and you are open to having a friend, but otherwise I'm COOL. The women on the net some are cool, but they all have an agenda. FINDING A HUSBAND from outside DR.
3rd Whatever you do please do not make DR your one and only. You are right spend a month in DR. Spend a month in Panama City because if you like beautiful women Panama City is Heaven. Go to Costa Rica, PR, Colombia, then if you still love DR now you are ready to find a wife and have kids. Please go to Panama City after DR and you will see why I said. You are young, black, no kids, no wife with MONEY you GOLDEN right now a Dominican womans dream. LOOK OUT they are out to get you. Good Luck & DUECES!!!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Alex let me help you I am about to give you some REAL advice you sound like a really cool trustworthy brother, and I can tell because you are 31yrs old and have zero kids and run your own business that takes smarts.
1st: Tell no one this is your first time in DR on EL Conde or Malecon, say something like you spend all your time in Sanitago or PP. You will see why this is number 1.
2nd: Do not let these women know you are single, and PLEASE do not ever tell them you have a thing for Dominican women. Tell them you have a girl back in the States and you are open to having a friend, but otherwise I'm COOL. The women on the net some are cool, but they all have an agenda. FINDING A HUSBAND from outside DR.
3rd Whatever you do please do not make DR your one and only. You are right spend a month in DR. Spend a month in Panama City because if you like beautiful women Panama City is Heaven. Go to Costa Rica, PR, Colombia, then if you still love DR now you are ready to find a wife and have kids. Please go to Panama City after DR and you will see why I said. You are young, black, no kids, no wife with MONEY you GOLDEN right now a Dominican womans dream. LOOK OUT they are out to get you. Good Luck & DUECES!!!

Wise words!!!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Whew...i don't know where to start here. First, a big welcome to you Alex, brother! Let me start by telling you that i'm half dominican and spent my youth growing up between here and Ohio. I'm basically a Dominican Hillbilly. During the 70's, my family and i squatted down in the back of our house daily and burried our poop like feral cats--covering it back up with dirt while we competed with neighborhood stray cats; we bathed in nearby rivers, such as "Juno" and "Blanco," and we tapped into the main power grid for 25 years before we ever saw an electricity bill make an appearance at our front door. So, allow me to give you the lowdown about relationships on this island in what i like to call the TEN DOMINICAN COMMANDMENTS:

1.) do not think that the girls you are chatting with online are good, innocent girls. Most are working girls (Prostitutes); some of them are probably my cousins trying to get a new, fresh, ripe Gringo--moving down here for the first time with a pocket full of cash and little, if any, kryptonite, wooden stakes, or garlic in his or her pocket to ward them off.

2.) Do not believe a Dominican woman (whom you have never met) when she tells you that they "Love you", and only you! lying here is learned at an early age and condoned by the village elders. My granfather taught me and my cousins the pantomines of lying. it's an art. trust me. A man has 7 pantomines, a woman has 25. This makes women far superior than men; it also makes them totally unbeatable! Listen to me, i'm a professional.

3.) Whenever a Dominican says these words to you: "You can trust me!" be weary. Be very weary. Run as fast as you can in the opposite direction and do not look back!! This warning also applies for any dominican electrician, plumber, carpenter, investor, real-estate broker, attorney, and basically, any dominican professional who says to you: "Yes, you can trust me!"

4.) Whenever a Dominican asks you for these things: New hair, new nails, new clothes, new shoes, money for a sick relative, money for a relative who just died (for the third time), money for the cow or donkey who needs medical attention, money for medicine, money for phone minutes on their chip, money for the roof that needs repairing (again), etc. run as fast as your feet will carry you in the opposite direction.

5.) Whenever a Dominican (Who you've met at a bar or nightclub or online) asks to move in with you, be weary. be very weary. Be paronoid. Be suspicious, and then be in shape to run a marathon to the opposite side of the island. You might want to begin taking swimming lessons before you move down here. Also, start running for the conditioning that you'll be needing.

If you want the second five commandments, i'll be more than happy to provide them to you. but let these first five sink before you ask me. Invest in a good pair of running shoes!!

Sincarely Frank (Dominican, grew up in Bonao)

Last edited:

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
In d.r. I been called Venezolano, Puerto Rican, Cubano that's because I look like Puerto Rican actor Luis Guzman. But never gringo.

Status
Not open for further replies.