at least 5 dead in an accident on sosua-cabarete road

May 29, 2006
The drivers get paid on commission. More speed means more passengers.

Aside from poor driving, they don't have proper guard rails to bounce off of or slow a crash. A lot of engineering goes into those. I saw a women crash into the kind with cables once at 50MPH and helped her out of the car while the ambulance came. She walked away from it. The cables are tethered on heavy springs so it's like a set of metal bungee cords. In the DR, it's very often a four foot ditch. Jersey barriers are cheap to build and place on high accident spots.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The drivers get paid on commission. More speed means more passengers.

Aside from poor driving, they don't have proper guard rails to bounce off of or slow a crash. A lot of engineering goes into those. I saw a women crash into the kind with cables once at 50MPH and helped her out of the car while the ambulance came. She walked away from it. The cables are tethered on heavy springs so it's like a set of metal bungee cords. In the DR, it's very often a four foot ditch. Jersey barriers are cheap to build and place on high accident spots.

Peter, another complication is that the drivers of public carritos have no concept of anythingbeyond stepping on the gas and blowing the horn. they have no idea about the limits and capabilities of the cars they drive. they do not understand physics and mechanics. they do not know that these cars were built to carry 800 pounds of passengers, not 1200, and the car responds differently when overloaded. it does not handle and brake like a car that is operating within its limits.

you can?t fix this. we just have to brace ourselves for the occasional bad news. you will never live long enough to see a carrito with 5 people, unless he just dropped off one or two.

pma22222

Jun 27, 2006
Interesting that this is at 6 am and between a Toyota and a Peugeot. Too early to be drunk. Not many other cars to be passed. Fall asleep in the Peugeot perhaps and drift over the center lane. Head on crashes with no restraints are often fatalities. 5 dead and several injured. Be willing to wager the several survivors were wearing restraints. Another Dominican highway tragedy. Sad. Condolences to the families.

Don't think for a minute that 6AM is too early to have people driving drunk on DR roads. On a Sunday morning, they very possibly may have just been heading home.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The publico looks to be in the middle of the road while the white car got pushed to the side. Not sure if you need to login to Fabo to see. ]

just a note: a white car is toyota camry, carro publico. the jeepeta is the dark car.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those carro publicos are always in contact with the centre line just itching for an opportunity to use the express lane disregarding the fact that the lane is intended for traffic going in the opposite direction. We may not find out what happened, but I'm pretty sure the actions of both drivers and a bit of fate contributed. Too fast, too sad and all too preventable. Crappy way to begin Father's Day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the articles all say the peugeot was going at high speed and lost control, hitting toyota. the driver of publico did not seem to be at fault. still, all 6 confirmed victims were in toyota so it was surely packed to the brim. i traveled this road in public transport many times. fully loaded, open door, standing on the outside step, all the works. i was not particularly bothered but i am glad to have a vehicle now.

link to detras de rumor: http://www.detrasdelrumor.com.do/en...advertimos-imagenes-muy-fuertes-en-contenido/
pictures are strong.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
just a note: a white car is toyota camry, carro publico. the jeepeta is the dark car.

Thank you, guess i got it backwards. From the start i could tell it was not the white cars fault the way he was pushed to the side of the road.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Even here at that time of the morning it is probably lack of sleep or impaired driving. Sorry for the surviving families and friends.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
In 9+ years of living here three things I have never done: ride a moto, ride in a publico, ride in a Gua-gua. In my remaining time here (no matter how long it will be) there are three things I will never do: ride a moto, ride in a publico, ride in a Gua-gua.

Bob K

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Another one to add, is the condition of the road (specially on Sosua to Cabarete), there are a few (not much perhaps) bad patches on the road and the locals know where they are. What they do is to manoeuvre to the other lane (drive on the opposite lane or close to the center) to avoid those patches.

I have seen them staying on the wrong lane till the last second, trying to avoid the bad patch, that is another recipe for disaster, under-estimating the speed of the incoming vehicle or loosing control and....

For that you know who to blame....

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Someone I knew passed by a few minutes after the accident. Being a local, of course he filmed the scene and there were some pretty disturbing images. It took them a long time to cut the carrito driver out of the car and they say the Peugeot was travelling very fast as the engine landed a long way away from the rest of the car. It seems the for once the carrito driver was not to blame, but it didn't help him or his passengers.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its like a game of chicken sometimes when a car is headed towards you on the wrong side of the road - Im always the chicken

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
This particular stretch of road has had many accidents for years because the west bound lane is narrow, no shoulder and has holes along the edge because when the sewers were installed, they never replaced the asphalt or repaired the road.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Three passengers in the front, four in the rear seat and two passengers were riding in the TRUNK of the camry *sigh