at least 5 dead in an accident on sosua-cabarete road

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
the guy was diving like a lunatic. every time he went around a corner, you heard the tires rubbing on the fender. i told him to stop and let me out after about two miles.

I do the same thing occasionally too. Either slow down or let me out.

"No m?s para mi, gracias." :chinese:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
As people debate the cost of living in the DR, try to factor in that one person in this forum will most likely be DEAD at this time next year at the hands of crime or accident.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
As people debate the cost of living in the DR, try to factor in that one person in this forum will most likely be DEAD at this time next year at the hands of crime or accident.

why such assumption? how many active members died due to crime/accidents so far?

Bryan12

Aug 26, 2015
Though I have no reservation that lot of people die at the hands of criminals, drunk or drugged drivers, if you ask how many active members then count would be quite less as most of people participating there would be sensible enough to do drunk or drugged driving. My father assist a Los Angeles DUI lawyer and was telling me that every one minute someone is killed by a drug/drugged or distracted driver in America.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Though I have no reservation that lot of people die at the hands of criminals, drunk or drugged drivers, if you ask how many active members then count would be quite less as most of people participating there would be sensible enough to do drunk or drugged driving. My father assist a Los Angeles DUI lawyer and was telling me that every one minute someone is killed by a drug/drugged or distracted driver in America.

I think that would be 525,000 a year? Seems too high.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

If history is anything to go off then I can't see how you can assume this. Everyone has known someone who has been murdered or killed in an accident, but can not recall any members over the last 7 years that have been murdered or killed in a car accident. Care to refresh my memory?
Or do you have plans for us yourself?:hurt:

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
If history is anything to go off then I can't see how you can assume this. Everyone has known someone who has been murdered or killed in an accident, but can not recall any members over the last 7 years that have been murdered or killed in a car accident. Care to refresh my memory?
Or do you have plans for us yourself?:hurt:

Just trying to bring out what I feel is an important point, that is often talked about, but not emphasized enough IMO. About 5000 deaths per year by car, about 4000 by murder and 68,429 DR1 members, the math does not look good. Most DR1 members are more aware than the average Dominican but many drive, go to bars, drink etc. Dominican population about 9 million, 9000 dead by car or violence, thats about 1 per 1000. I used a lot of rounding, but the numbers are not that far off, especially since many deaths dont find there way into govt statistics.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just trying to bring out what I feel is an important point, that is often talked about, but not emphasized enough IMO. About 5000 deaths per year by car, about 4000 by murder and 68,429 DR1 members, the math does not look good. Most DR1 members are more aware than the average Dominican but many drive, go to bars, drink etc. Dominican population about 9 million, 9000 dead by car or violence, thats about 1 per 1000. I used a lot of rounding, but the numbers are not that far off, especially since many deaths dont find there way into govt statistics.

nice numbers, Luperon. now tell us about exposure and tendencies, and driving abilities. the average foreigner can drive a car. the average Dominican finds a mule to be complicated. the average Dominican takes risks , on a baily basis, that would make any sane person scratch their heads. the average foreigner maintains his car, making sure things like brakes work, and tires are in decent shape. the only part of the car that Dominicans are fastiduous about is the horn. the exposures are different.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you might not have noticed that wiki's accident related deaths article says: Total fatalities latest year (adjusted/estimated figures by WHO report).
or that the homicide article says 2,268, not 4,000 that you claimed.

incidentally, there is a nice article in accento today, right on the subject: http://acento.com.do/2015/actualida...tes-de-transito-superaron-homicidios-en-2014/
Con 1,855 personas fallecidas, los accidentes de tr?nsito se mantienen como una de las principales causas de muerte violenta en Rep?blica Dominicana, lo que, seg?n datos ofrecidos por el Observatorio de Seguridad Ciudadana Rep?blica Dominicana, supera la tasa de homicidios ocurridos el mismo a?o, cuya cifra lleg? a 1,814.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
how exactly did you come up with those numbers?

Yeh you can argue his numbers, but it's a ballpark idea, who cares, we get the point/idea. But G's pointers counter his math better than anything else. Expats just don't find themselves in the situations Dums do on a daily basis, and so by this factor alone reduce the chances of being part.
Saying that, there are a lot of foreigners find themselves dead in DR, suicide is probably as big a killer among foreigners as it is Natives, firstly above murder and car wrecks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Expats just don't find themselves in the situations Dums do on a daily basis, and so by this factor alone reduce the chances of being part.

i understand his it-can-happen-to-any-of-us point but in relation to the number of dominicans versus the number of active members it looks more like fear mongering and less like statistical probability. according to the 2010 census the population of DR is 9,478,612. the number of active members is 1,073. not all of them actually live in DR on full time basis, probably not even close to a half. but lets assume they all do. this would amount to 0.01132% of the total population.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
i understand his it-can-happen-to-any-of-us point but in relation to the number of dominicans versus the number of active members it looks more like fear mongering and less like statistical probability. according to the 2010 census the population of DR is 9,478,612. the number of active members is 1,073. not all of them actually live in DR on full time basis, probably not even close to a half. but lets assume they all do. this would amount to 0.01132% of the total population.

I would agree, far far less live or even spend a reasonable amount of time in DR (being longer than a few weeks a year). Probably less than 10%, maybe much less than 10% as well. I took from his posting that he had not taken this into consideration. or just a brain fart moment, hence my dismissal at the relevance of the numbers in this. The pint was that one of the DR1 members would likely be in these stats, and according to the stats are we have just mentioned, this isn't the case.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Forgot to account that most dont live full time in DR. Including myself which makes it an even bigger brain fart. Still, i personally dont underestimate these two issues.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If ya gonna steal, steal time. If ya gonna cheat, cheat death.
I see no point in having a debate about numbers.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I have come across a few foreigners (not necessarily DR1 members) who take quite a bit of extra risk on the road here (mostly tourists and short term visitors), they rent some of those fast bikes and/or cars and really go fast on the road (they never do that in their home countries). Rent pasolas when they never have driven one before or for a very long time and head for the roads. Get drunk and drive or get on the back of those motoconches with drunk drivers. Or even get really drunk and stumble across the roads hoping that traffic would stop for them and take care of them.

So all in all, they are some that take extra risks on the road and can be road accident statistics - not all are as sensible as you might think. But perhaps DR1ers are mostly longer term residents and visitors and somewhat wiser to the road risk here.