at least 5 dead in an accident on sosua-cabarete road

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting that this is at 6 am and between a Toyota and a Peugeot. Too early to be drunk. Not many other cars to be passed. Fall asleep in the Peugeot perhaps and drift over the center lane. Head on crashes with no restraints are often fatalities. 5 dead and several injured. Be willing to wager the several survivors were wearing restraints. Another Dominican highway tragedy. Sad. Condolences to the families.

I would be willing to wager nobody was wearing restraints in the public car, including those that were injured but alive.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
not to mention those in the trunk.

Exactly, and they have not yet installed trunk harnesses for people to not wear.

Why do accidents happen on this stretch? For all the reasons mentioned. Perhaps a driver was intoxicated but I suspect not.
The road is narrow because of work done on the sewers and not repaired(yes sewers that I doubt are functional). Yet that section is straight, so it is the place people can pick up the most speed between Cabarete and Sosua.

At that speed there is the least margin for error when someone swerves to avoid a moto/pedestrian/issue with the road/slower moving vehicle, etc. they are much more likely to hit on coming drivers who already ride with one wheel over the center.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
after reading this , I headed out this morning.

first thing I saw was a pickup truck..... maybe a dozen children standing in the back, wind in their young faces....
nobody over 14, it appeared to me.

there are many disasters waiting to happen on the roads here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
after reading this , I headed out this morning.

first thing I saw was a pickup truck..... maybe a dozen children standing in the back, wind in their young faces....
nobody over 14, it appeared to me.

there are many disasters waiting to happen on the roads here.

WW, the most disastrous aspect of what you just recalled is that neither the drivers or the kids realize that their actions are fraught with peril. there is this innocent ignorance that envelopes this whole thing.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Vehicle safety is not too complicated for Dominicans. They grasp the complexities of Baseball. Simple enforced laws could save countless lives. Crushing the taxi unions is a necessary start.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's Dominican population control. They breed like rabbits, have no real predators, no nasty diseases and it's what their Dios quiere.

Without roads accidents, this island would be over populated.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
excuse me but I knew someone in that accident....have a bit of thought please

plus you made me press the wrong button because I was angry

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is "it can never happen to me syndrome". Dominicans in general do not like to think of anything negative happening (maybe none of us do) but sometimes you have to take a "time out" and think about "what if". "Carro publico" is over loaded well maybe wait for the next one. Driver is driving "erratic", get out. What happened is sad for all involved. Much peace to the victims and their families.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those who have life experience outside the DR should be able to employ common sense. If there are more bottoms than there are seats, if there are no seat belts, the only available space in the vehicle is in the trunk or the driver while approaching you demonstrates poor driving, you should be able to see the wisdom of not hopping on-board.

In this country, waiting for the perfect public ride will probably mean that you are standing on the side of the road all day. The locals don't have a lot of choice. They need to get to work on time or wherever they are going. It is a sad commentary that these public vehicles are usually old, in poor condition, overloaded and operated by someone who who shouldn't be allowed to ride a skateboard.

As a gringo, I am able to exercise a personal choice and I will not ride in a guagua or carro publico. I would rather walk, or ride a bicycle. I don't see a lot of people hitchhiking here, thumbs up and all that. If I was desperate I am sure that if instead of my finger to indicate that I need a ride from a public car, if I presented a 100 peso note to every private vehicle driving by, I'm sure wouldn't be standing there very long. Maybe not the safest of practices, but at least I would have my own seat and a seat belt. Probably working AC too...

As long as people continue to patronize decrepit missiles and the drivers of these POS can make money, nothing will change. I can't change the way things are but I am smart enough to know that the risks far outweigh the convenience or the expense of choosing a different option. I have that luxury and am fortunate in that respect. My level of life experience allows me to know with certainty that when playing Russian Roulette, everyone eventually loses. The better of two bad choices is not necessarily a good choice. It's too bad that the locals don't feel they deserve a safe conveyance and demand such from their officials in no uncertain terms. In the short term I choose not be be part of the problem by providing money to a driver that allows for one more unsafe trip from point A to point B.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
. I can't change the way things are but I am smart enough to know that the risks far outweigh the convenience or the expense of choosing a different option. I have that luxury and am fortunate in that respect. My level of life experience allows me to know with certainty that when playing Russian Roulette, everyone eventually loses. The better of two bad choices is not necessarily a good choice. It's too bad that the locals don't feel they deserve a safe conveyance and demand such from their officials in no uncertain terms. In the short term I choose not be be part of the problem by providing money to a driver that allows for one more unsafe trip from point A to point B.

You are correct in stating that we are not the tail that is going to wag this dog.

I understand the death total from this accident is now at 7 with 5 people injured.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
one day when you have a few spare moments, just take a look at some of the tires on the carritos. you will be astonished that people are allowed to drive on those things, let alone ferry people around in a vehicle using those pieces of discarded rubber.

let me state, preemptively, that i do not blame the carrito driver for this accident. from all rumored accounts, the other guy was at fault. but let me reiterate what some other poster said, and which i have said before.

Dominicans do not seem to have the ability to wonder WHAT IF. i have seen guys turning into a blind apex, on the wrong side of the road. they do not have the ability to wonder what if some guy is coming around the same corner, on his side of the road. then, they do not have the ability to figure WHAT THEN. there is very little you can do, and you are going to get creamed.

forget about this nonsense regarding dangerous roads. driving is not a skill which has been developed here. the rank and file just cannot drive. the driving test is a waste of time, and it is not a driver?s culture. there are going to be many more of these debacles long before there are fewer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What if? I saw an example of that last week. Three men on a moto headed into a T intersection to take a left at high speed with zero view of potential traffic on the road to which they were turning.
As they came around the corner, the driver spotted an on coming car to their left and dumped the bike rather than hitting the vehicle. Lots of road rash and who knows what else. At least the driver missed the vehicle completely and the driver did not have to pay for his stupidity for not stopping and looking before making such a turn.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Those who have life experience outside the DR should be able to employ common sense. If there are more bottoms than there are seats, if there are no seat belts, the only available space in the vehicle is in the trunk or the driver while approaching you demonstrates poor driving, you should be able to see the wisdom of not hopping on-board.

In this country, waiting for the perfect public ride will probably mean that you are standing on the side of the road all day. The locals don't have a lot of choice. They need to get to work on time or wherever they are going. It is a sad commentary that these public vehicles are usually old, in poor condition, overloaded and operated by someone who who shouldn't be allowed to ride a skateboard.

As a gringo, I am able to exercise a personal choice and I will not ride in a guagua or carro publico. I would rather walk, or ride a bicycle. I don't see a lot of people hitchhiking here, thumbs up and all that. If I was desperate I am sure that if instead of my finger to indicate that I need a ride from a public car, if I presented a 100 peso note to every private vehicle driving by, I'm sure wouldn't be standing there very long. Maybe not the safest of practices, but at least I would have my own seat and a seat belt. Probably working AC too...

As long as people continue to patronize decrepit missiles and the drivers of these POS can make money, nothing will change. I can't change the way things are but I am smart enough to know that the risks far outweigh the convenience or the expense of choosing a different option. I have that luxury and am fortunate in that respect. My level of life experience allows me to know with certainty that when playing Russian Roulette, everyone eventually loses. The better of two bad choices is not necessarily a good choice. It's too bad that the locals don't feel they deserve a safe conveyance and demand such from their officials in no uncertain terms. In the short term I choose not be be part of the problem by providing money to a driver that allows for one more unsafe trip from point A to point B.

"Ride a Bicycle" ????????????????????????????????
YOU must be "NUTS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the MOST DANGEROUS mode of transportation on this Island!!!!!!!
How many people do you see riding a bicycle in the DR???
Do you know why????????

They are all DEAD already!!!!!!!!!!!! :dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
"Ride a Bicycle" ????????????????????????????????
YOU must be "NUTS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the MOST DANGEROUS mode of transportation on this Island!!!!!!!
How many people do you see riding a bicycle in the DR???
Do you know why????????

They are all DEAD already!!!!!!!!!!!! :dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Nah, it depends where you're riding the bike CC. Certainly not in SD. Mr. AE shipped a bike to DR, and he uses it to go to the ferreteria, the beach, etc. I can't tell you how many people have tried to buy it from him.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
4 injured. there were 10 people in the camry and 1 in the peugeout.

listin reports that within 24 hours 17 people died in just 4 accidents. they also say that the number of deaths is up, from last year: Accidentes de tr?nsito arrojan saldo de 17 muertos en 24 horas | List?n Diario

Not Only THAT,......But 14 dead and 24 injured by violence, not counting traffic accidents, in 24 hours!!!!

Blame the "Gringos" for THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

C-mon "AE" where he rides the only other "Traffic" he meets is riding a donkey!!!