Canadian killed in La Mulata II ?

C

Caonabo

Random, by the questions they had no idea who they were robbing. It could have also been a mistaken house as in they robbed the wrong one that they were supposed to.

Then it can not be said with authority that it was random.

I

irsav

Apparently, but how did they do it?

Often - by paying a bit to the "security guard". And also through the roof. Also window bars here are a joke. Often they just wait outside. And go inside together with an owner - with a gun at his head.
Living in Playa Chickita, La Mulata and Sosua Ocean Village - is the Russian Roulette.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Easy access to the house and someone opened the door (if it wasn't already open) - best guess

W

windeguy

Random, by the questions they had no idea who they were robbing. It could have also been a mistaken house as in they robbed the wrong one that they were supposed to.

That is certainly comforting to the neighbors who might be next.

H

Harleysrock

Then it can not be said with authority that it was random.
Out of respect for my best friend and her friend who was murdered I will not be commenting on this anymore. Speculate all you want, dr1 detectives always know best

C

cavok

Out of respect for my best friend and her friend who was murdered I will not be commenting on this anymore. Speculate all you want, dr1 detectives always know best

Do you have any info as to how they gained access to the house? It might help others prevent this from happening to them.

L

lifeisgreat

So what's the rest of the story?

There seems to be a lot of violence and bloodshed in that neighborhood...
La mulata is a city of its own more then 3 km long over ore then 2000 people live in community not much happens opposite pretty quiet...

U

Uzin

If someone paid me to go and live in La Mulata (1, 2, 3, ...n - seems to have many barrios), I wouldn't do it. Over the years we just had bad stories from there, sorry for the deceased and family, RIP...

G

Garyexpat

There is more to the story Gary... glad you think your backyard is safer ..

Enlighten me about the "rest of the story". Yes where I currently live is safer. I've lived in this country almost 13 years in S.D, Puerto Plata & Sosua and for the last 4+ Santiago. Some places are safer than others (just like the states, Canada or some European Country). La Mulata often makes the news and I can't remember once where it was for a good reason.

D

Drake

Usually they will point a gun outside a house then force the victim inside. Large dogs are the best deterrent. These home invasions are rare these days as everyone has cell phones to alert others. It appears the full story is not out yet.

W

windeguy

La mulata is a city of its own more then 3 km long over ore then 2000 people live in community not much happens opposite pretty quiet...

The only people who ever say anything good about La Mulata are those that own property there.

C

Cdn_Gringo

How much more detail do we need? Several ladrones gained entry to a private residence, restrained the occupants and proceeded to demand money, valuables or whatever. Subsequently shot and killed one of the residents when he put up a struggle.

It could be useful to know how the ladrones gained entry, but for now we can accept that they got in and bad things happened. We should all be conducting a periodic security audit of our domiciles and observing for a moment or two our immediate surroundings before we turn off and hop out of our car upon returning home in the dark. What are the things we do that leave us vulnerable? What are we prepared to do to make it difficult for someone to gain entry and assault us while we are at home? Will we at least know of a threat in the moments before they gain entry to our home?

Not just here in the DR, bad things do happen to nice people. People cannot assume it will never happen to them, even though it may not. You can leave your front door open at night for a cooling breeze every night for years but you have to realize this makes it easy for someone to just walk in without any advanced notice if that's what they wish to do (not saying that happened in this case).

The details of these crimes are usually used to justify our belief that "we" are not vulnerable in the same way. It was drug related and I'm not involved in that, someone owed a debt or somehow the victim did something to bring about this result. Often that's not the case other than doing something that facilitated the decision made by a criminal to choose a particular house over one further down the street. Even criminals make mistakes and hit the wrong house from time to time. If we do not know the victims(s) and know enough about the specific circumstances, it's easier to dismiss our own vulnerabilities.

These armed assaults, home invasions and general robberies occur with a relative frequency that the casual observer should not disregard them without considering whether they have taken steps to mitigate the risk to themselves. Gated communities may offer more protection over a property on the economy or they may not depending on location or whether security guards habitually take a nap at 2 am. Sometimes there is nothing you can do, it's just your turn according to the universe. Otherwise, making it readily apparent to the ladrones that another house is an easier or a more appealing target is what we should be doing and reviewing from time to time.

A high fence helps, dogs help, a well lit property helps, a fortified house with locked doors helps, watchful neighbors helps. Personal security is all about what you do to actively lower your exposure and has very little to do with rationalizing away that risk and solely playing the odds. Clearly the ladrones do come knocking with some regularity and eventually it could be at your house. Unfortunately we never know that last Thursday someone(s) sized us or our house up and decided to move along for easier greener pastures. We usually do not wish to live in a fortress or a bunker, but somewhere on the sliding scale that is real security, practicality and peace of mind meet. No guarantees, in this country or any country these days. Random can be just that, random, or not.

I'd say that anyone choosing to live in the area of La Mulata (there are others similar neighborhoods) would be well served by accepting that the area has a less than stellar reputation going back many years. Some have moved away, others stay and cope the best they can. At least I hope they are sufficiently motivated to cope and don't just plant their head in the sand waiting to see what may happen tomorrow and to whom.

The only truly important detail is that criminals killed someone in La Mulata last Wednesday night. So far these miscreants are still at large which means they could be living and ladroning in the area tonight.

C

cavok

Based on what was said in the video, it seems this tragedy could have been prevented by any combination of bars on windows and doors, motion detectors connected to flood lights, and a security alarm, and a dog.

Almost all Dominicans take some or all of these measures on their houses. Why would any gringos not do the same?

A

arete92

Some of you said you would never buy or choose to live in a free standing house in Dominican; I find that a rather premature conclusion to the dynamics .. Even if you're all bunched up with even Dominicans it does not make a difference something happens they are no where to be found - they love to gossip and talk about the situation(s) but very rarely take action. My Dominican friend got robbed near Torres de alta at night when coming back from the malecon there were people sitting on their damn patio watching the event take place and did nothing - easily could have called the Police and said there is 1000 pesos for you ( 2 dominicans Jordan jersey, red hat with converse shoes heading down main ) instead nothing happened just a broken friendship. Scenario 2 my wifes cousins father was a motoconcho everyone knew it in the barrio; humble nice guy and supported his family - they stole his moto in broad daylight and when we asked questions nobody knew anything so your assumption about people helping you because you're neighbours and do the smile and klk b.s with you doesn't mean you can trust them, it's like Canadians, on the surface we're polite but deep down we want to really tell you how it is. If you're living next to another fellow ex-pat it could be even worse depending on his personality and how often he leaves his gate open and invites "guests" over. Other members above stated a good point - motion sensors coupled with flood lights and proper security with a firearm. Hopefully that acts as a good enough deterrent if it doesn't well bullets tend to stop it all together - paying the judge a million pesos is better then being dead. But seriously - take the security thing seriously if it looks like a lot of risk for the ladrones they will more than likely pick something easier. Biggest factor that gets someone robbed here is their mouth and blind trust

Last edited:
J

JDJones

So, getting back to the subject of the thread: This guy got loose and attacked one of the assailants.

Does anybody know if he was able to wound one of them? Or did he hit him with the flat side?

J

jd426

Sounds to me like this guy went out like a Warrior ... Very Brave Dude .. wish it would have ended differently, with some body parts of the Perps on the floor, and him to tell the story .. May he RIP... Condolences to his GF and Families ..
very sad story .. hope they get these guys.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Unfortunate, but not surprising. Not just in this case or here in the DR, paramedics will often wait for the police to arrive and secure the scene of a violent crime before entering and rendering assistance. In these situations, the police and the ambulance both need to arrive in a timely manner. It's hard to fault the paramedics who are vulnerable and thus reluctant to enter without knowing the situation inside is safe.

I

irsav

Some of you said you would never buy or choose to live in a free standing house in Dominican; I find that a rather premature conclusion to the dynamics .. Even if you're all bunched up with even Dominicans it does not make a difference something happens they are no where to be found - they love to gossip and talk about the situation(s) but very rarely take action. My Dominican friend got robbed near Torres de alta at night when coming back from the malecon there were people sitting on their damn patio watching the event take place and did nothing - easily could have called the Police and said there is 1000 pesos for you ( 2 dominicans Jordan jersey, red hat with converse shoes heading down main ) instead nothing happened just a broken friendship. Scenario 2 my wifes cousins father was a motoconcho everyone knew it in the barrio; humble nice guy and supported his family - they stole his moto in broad daylight and when we asked questions nobody knew anything so your assumption about people helping you because you're neighbours and do the smile and klk b.s with you doesn't mean you can trust them, it's like Canadians, on the surface we're polite but deep down we want to really tell you how it is. If you're living next to another fellow ex-pat it could be even worse depending on his personality and how often he leaves his gate open and invites "guests" over. Other members above stated a good point - motion sensors coupled with flood lights and proper security with a firearm. Hopefully that acts as a good enough deterrent if it doesn't well bullets tend to stop it all together - paying the judge a million pesos is better then being dead. But seriously - take the security thing seriously if it looks like a lot of risk for the ladrones they will more than likely pick something easier. Biggest factor that gets someone robbed here is their mouth and blind trust

In DR "trust" equals "suicide".