Canadian killed in La Mulata II ?

A

arete92

In DR "trust" equals "suicide".

Sad but true.Beautiful country but always takes me a while when I come back to north america to have that trusting community sense of feel that I had when I left - it's really not a conductive place intellectually either. It's more of a love your family place and screw everyone else. Anyone wants to pick at that point, look at the beach right now or leave your new Iphone on the counter when you go to the washroom and you will understand there is no community speaking from a behavioural standpoint.

C

Cdn_Gringo

I can sort of understand property crime. Someone taking what they want from you is not ok, but I can see the temptation especially if you leave it lying around in the open. It's the apparent willingness of some to kill or maim for really not so valuable stuff that concerns me the most.

I don't have lots of money on hand most of the time. When I do go and get money it usually is spent pretty quickly on rent, groceries, bills medications etc. By the time I get home there is but a fraction left over. I am concerned that $RD 5000 - 10000 might not be enough and it could be difficult to convince a thief that's all there is at that time. I've decided to work on not being in the position to have that conversation if at all possible.

L

lifeisgreat

https://detrasdelrumor.com.do/2019/...ii-911-no-atendio-al-herido-lo-dejaron-morir/

Very sad that 911 medical service refused to help until the police arrived. RIP

Matilda
They came and left ,refused entry even though the community who was there helping tried to convince them, their gone we are in house, said they could not do anything before police arrived and left :( Yes they left the scene ! Honestly this time it wouldn’t of made a difference, but NEXT time it could be you and time is of the essence and that is distressing! If anything from a brave man dieing to protect his family is learned, a change to system of first responders and 911 should be looked at and modified...common sense has to kick in sometimes welcome to DR..

C

chico bill

Had 2 Dominicans tell me that a German man was killed last night in Sosua in a home invasion.
Don't know if they were confusing this Canadian victim and the nights because I've seen nothing in the news.
Does anyone have any information on something last night too?

C

cavok

The fact is, the "staff" here generally figures out what really happened before all details are released in the press.

I

irsav

It is sad that some people do not realize that they are moving from the First World to Third World. And do not adjust accordingly.

H

Harleysrock

It is sad that some people do not realize that they are moving from the First World to Third World. And do not adjust accordingly.
It’s sad that you don’t know wtf you are talking about.

C

cavok

I was talking to some people I know in the Callejon and they told me the police have been arresting and interrogating a lot of residents there. According to them, the woman in the house was severly wounded during the hold up and died of her injuries yesterday or the day before. Also, they say an extremely large sum of money was stolen from the house.

R

rfp

I dont understand this. Why do people from viable societies choose to live in areas where they are in danger ?

The North Coast seems to be a veritable "Killing Field" for foreigners. There are a lot of nice things about the RD including the beautiful North Coast but why leave safety and security to live an environment where people will kill you for 500 pesos ?

Live in an apartment, be careful with your domestic staff and trust no one. I dont even trust my family !!

C

cavok

It's not really like that at all. Most of those foreigners put themselves in very risky situations or were involved in things they shouldn't have been. Also, the North Coast hs the highest concentration of foreigners anywhere here in the DR, so just on a statistical basis, there's going to be a higher number of unfortunate events.

T

TropicalPaul

It's not really like that at all. Most of those foreigners put themselves in very risky situations or were involved in things they shouldn't have been. Also, the North Coast hs the highest concentration of foreigners anywhere here in the DR, so just on a statistical basis, there's going to be a higher number of unfortunate events.

How can you be sure of this statistic? I think that there is probably a greater number of foreigners (i.e. absolute number) living in Santo Domingo and I would suspect a greater concentration (i.e. percentage) living in Bavaro / Punta Cana

T

Tarheel

Enlighten me about the "rest of the story". Yes where I currently live is safer. I've lived in this country almost 13 years in S.D, Puerto Plata & Sosua and for the last 4+ Santiago. Some places are safer than others (just like the states, Canada or some European Country). La Mulata often makes the news and I can't remember once where it was for a good reason.

I understand the views of the ocean are beautiful in parts of La Mulata.

F

Fulano2

I dont understand this. Why do people from viable societies choose to live in areas where they are in danger ?

The North Coast seems to be a veritable "Killing Field" for foreigners. There are a lot of nice things about the RD including the beautiful North Coast but why leave safety and security to live an environment where people will kill you for 500 pesos ?

Live in an apartment, be careful with your domestic staff and trust no one. I dont even trust my family !!

A bit of discernment. The north coast is large. A lot of areas don't have problems, but Sosua and Puerto Plata are places where not all foreigners are safe especially in some barrios.

C

cavok

How can you be sure of this statistic? I think that there is probably a greater number of foreigners (i.e. absolute number) living in Santo Domingo and I would suspect a greater concentration (i.e. percentage) living in Bavaro / Punta Cana

I can't remember where I read it, but just take a look at the number of posts from the different parts of the DR here on DR1. The North Coast posts are almost 4 times that of Santo Domingo, 6 times that of Punta Cana, and are more than all the rest of the different areas in the DR combined. I think that gives a pretty good idea where most of the expats are.

M

Matilda

I Know when you hear about attacks, invasions and murders it makes you feel much safer to say it won't happen to me as it was the victim's fault as they put themselves in a risky situation or they were involved in something illegal. But it is not always the case. Any home can be targeted for an invasion, just because a foreigner lives there. So please stop this blaming the victim culture. There have been several victims in Sosua and other parts of the country who were murdered for nothing more than the chance they had money, not because they were into anything illegal or dodgy, or that they had done anything wrong.

Matilda

C

cavok

I Know when you hear about attacks, invasions and murders it makes you feel much safer to say it won't happen to me as it was the victim's fault as they put themselves in a risky situation or they were involved in something illegal. But it is not always the case. Any home can be targeted for an invasion, just because a foreigner lives there. So please stop this blaming the victim culture. There have been several victims in Sosua and other parts of the country who were murdered for nothing more than the chance they had money, not because they were into anything illegal or dodgy, or that they had done anything wrong.

Matilda

Re-read my post. I'm not blaming the victims at all. I clearly said: "Most of those foreigners ...." and I stand by that. And I definitely didn't say it because it makes me feel any safer.

M

Matilda

Re-read my post. I'm not blaming the victims at all. I clearly said: "Most of those foreigners ...." and I stand by that. And I definitely didn't say it because it makes me feel any safer.
OK so replace most with some. And no one who blames the victims says why they are blaming them. I have been there too. Before i was shot back in 2006 a couple of weeks before an Italian was killed in Juan Dolio. He was shot in the knees then the head and everyone knew he was a drug dealer. I said hey they only kill people who are involved in drugs so I don't have any issues. Two weeks later I was shot in a home invasion for money. So I know why people blame the victim. You don't have to say it is because it makes you feel better. But it does.

C

cavok

OK so replace most with some. And no one who blames the victims says why they are blaming them. I have been there too. Before i was shot back in 2006 a couple of weeks before an Italian was killed in Juan Dolio. He was shot in the knees then the head and everyone knew he was a drug dealer. I said hey they only kill people who are involved in drugs so I don't have any issues. Two weeks later I was shot in a home invasion for money. So I know why people blame the victim. You don't have to say it is because it makes you feel better. But it does.

"Some" implies a minority and I don't agree with that - that's why I say "most". Most would be anything more than half. As like I said in my post to TP, "most" expats live on the North Coast.

I think it's unfair and unjustified to present the North Coast as an area where many totally innocent residents and tourists are being randomly killed on a frequent basis. And once again, I'm not blaming the victim nor does it make me feel better in any way. I'm just stating the facts as I see them.