canadian missionary shot 9 times in cabarete

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
"There But For The Grace Of God, Go "US"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was thinking about getting a "Baseball Bat" for personal protection, I KNOW now, I'll stick with my gun!
CC

You don't show up to a gun fight with a plank of wood.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if there was only one attacker the canadian dude might have been the winner. or the loser, if the thief would accuse him of bodily harm. there is no way of saying. but he fought well, kudos to him.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Although, unquestionably, Les is a courageous man with balls of steel, what he did was not a smart move, at all, and very likely was done by mistake. I don't think he knew when he confronted the robbers that they had guns on them. Otherwise, i doubt he would have confronted them. Nor do i think he knew that there was two of them.

No one is stupid enough to confront armed robbers with a bat. My guess--and this is just a bar stool caffeine guess--is that he thought he was confronting one or two "unarmed" robbers. After he hit the first robber--which caused the robber to lose his gun and go momentarily unconscious--he probably wasn't even aware that a second armed guy would be coming around the corner shooting like Butch Cassidy & Sundance kid.

Also, for anyone crazy enough to think what he did was smart, should step back and re-access the situation. He is very, very lucky to be alive. One bullet either four inches to the left or right, would been his death. One bullet to his head would have been instant death. One bullet to an organ or his heart would have been death. Also, the second robber could have simply walked over to Les while he was on the ground and shot him point blank in the head for attacking them. That would have been the end of Les...and for what...some pocket change and loose items that can carry on their back? Is that worth risking death? Being paralyzed for life? Quadriplegic for life?

I think a lot of people--myself included is happy that less confronted the robbers--but that's only because it somehow empowers us, and makes us think we can do the same. We all want to send a message to the robbers not to not f%uck with us.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
frank, a while ago i talked to a military man, trained in europe, with a lot of experience. he says when a person is under attack the instincts take over. those instincts are normally rather unreasonable. when i was attacked - and i had a gun pointing at my head - i fought back too. you may call it stupidity, i don't care. i did not know what i was doing. and neither did les. he confronted the danger that was in front of him at the time, and he did well. he was not likely trained to do anything like that. he likely had no idea there were two attackers, nor that there were any guns involved.

professionals train to replace this natural panicky instinct with another reaction, more calculated yet still mechanical, in many ways. so that they respond to certain threats in a certain way. a normal human being zones out. they may run away or stand up to fight. but there is no thinking process involved until well afterwards.

what les did was neither smart not stupid, that was the only thing he could do, in those circumstances.

in any case, the video interested me. after the shooting he was sober enough to think. he tried to block the bleeding and take care of his own wounds. amazing. and what damn luck he had. one well placed bullet will kill. he got 9. good thing the robber was a poor shot. he probably panicked as well and did not look where he was shooting.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Frank12,
All people who run businesses here are vunerable - look back at the Monkey Jungle event and there are others.

The Team are glad to see Les out of intensive care but with a long way to go!

He needs our support now and many people have given support to him and will give more as needed.

Olly and the Team

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
After I watched the video, my heart was totally destroy. Seeing him lying there for over 3 mins with no help but his dog......

I don't know what was going on and why no one was helping him??

I went down to CMC and gave my support and they told me that there is list of people had gave their name to donate blood. But he will need more. I met his wife, and I am so sorry for this to happen to him.

You have to be so careful in this country, can't even let your guard down for a moment!!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank12,
All people who run businesses here are vunerable - look back at the Monkey Jungle event and there are others.

The Team are glad to see Les out of intensive care but with a long way to go!

He needs our support now and many people have given support to him and will give more as needed.

Olly and the Team

Olly,

I agree with you. I want the best for Les as well. Who doesn't? But make no mistake. He is extremely lucky to be alive right now. Lucky!! Not to mention he could have been paralyzed. What he did--confronting guns with a baseball bat--was brave, but stupid. One bullet a few inches left or right and he would be dead. One bullet into any organ and he would probably be dead from internal bleeding.

I'm rooting for him, but he's extremely lucky and don't kid yourself thinking that what he did was a smart move.

Nevertheless, i want the best for Les like everyone else.

Frank

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
My wife and I first met Les and Linda when they first started building those condos. We actually stayed in the unit that was being robbed. Sucked down a lot of Presidentes with them over the past dozen years. The most hospitable folks you will ever meet. Gotta admit, ole Les had a lot more fight in him than I might have expected. If anybody hears of an organized fund raiser, please let us all know.

Mar 1, 2009
Wow I watched the video and it was hardcore, I loved it when he was bashing the dude with the bat. It was awesome but I was speechless once I saw he got shot. 9 efffen x.....Dios mio, eso degraciaos. I wish this gentleman the best, the force and the Big Guy upstairs is definitely with him.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccccccccc

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
The video was gut wrenching. Hard to watch. My prayers go out to him and his family. From the comments in this forum it sure seems like he's a great guy and has many friends. I too would support any fund raiser on his behalf. If I was there I'd toss him a pint of my O +.

I can also appreciate the opposing points of view here. He did show a pair of brass ones when confronting those cockroaches. He " went yard " on the one punk. Who wouldn't like to crack open the skull of a punk like he did. But yes, it sure doesn't look worth it considering that he got shot 9 times. And he is extremely fortunate to be alive. But who knows. It's not like he was protecting his beer stein collection. There were young lives in his hotel, and I am certain that was the impetus for his reaction. Maybe He used the only weapon he had.

Like dv8 suggests, I guess you really can't know for sure how you would react until you are in that situation.

srp

Nov 13, 2012
right to carry

Inspect the weapons of all cops in the city and province at once.
then you get you shooter

Why hasn't anyone brought up the subject of why the powers that be don't want to give people the means to protect themselves. The new immigrations laws state you can bring in one revolver or 1 shotgun but when I asked my attorney to check on this he said "they aren't doing this now".
Having a body to identify would make it easier to locate the employer.
If people could protect themselves the bars would come off the windows and maybe a few walls could come down. Besides a man being shot ,thankfully he'll be OK but suffer what pains the rest of his life?

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
dv8 and a few other posters are correct. Did you not see how fast and chaotic the confrontation happens. I have had a gun pointed at me and been shot at (fortunately not hit). When I first started reading this post I could not believe that some people
thought he was shot in different areas of the body on purpose. As soon as I read 9 times I had a pretty good idea it was over
in seconds. That's how it happens in real life. Some incidences I have investigated in the past witnesses have me told both shooters had their eyes closed. Les was obviously protecting the children and when he comes into the scene I do not think knew a gun was involved for about 1 second. He was already starting to act by then. I wish he had a shotgun rather than a bat. I am glad he will survive. This brave senior citizen (so am I) deserves the admiration and respect of this community for acting to protect those children. Arm chair quarter backs have no idea what they will do when they have that huge adrenaline dump and how fast the situation happens. We have watched a brutal video and that's how fast it happens in life not the movies nor our imaginations.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
anyone and everyone who was speculating how this may have happened and where saying that it was on purpose that he was shot etc. you all should be deeply ashamed of yourself, all of you !!!

the guy is a hero, maybe it was not the smartest thing to do, but he did it and he got that one good on the head, and hopefully he broke his skull, but again shame on all of you loosers sitting at your pc talking all kind of BS about how this happend.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
anyone and everyone who was speculating how this may have happened and where saying that it was on purpose that he was shot etc. you all should be deeply ashamed of yourself, all of you !!!

the guy is a hero, maybe it was not the smartest thing to do, but he did it and he got that one good on the head, and hopefully he broke his skull, but again shame on all of you loosers sitting at your pc talking all kind of BS about how this happend.

what's with all the gratuitous rebuke? what we saw was a gruesome incident, hopefully with a positive ending for a brave man. however, neither you, nor anyone else here, knows exactly WHY those guys were there. until we find out more, it behooves you to reserve the calls for people to feel ashamed. ashamed of what?

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Although, unquestionably, Les is a courageous man with balls of steel, what he did was not a smart move, at all, and very likely was done by mistake. I don't think he knew when he confronted the robbers that they had guns on them. Otherwise, i doubt he would have confronted them. Nor do i think he knew that there was two of them.

No one is stupid enough to confront armed robbers with a bat. My guess--and this is just a bar stool caffeine guess--is that he thought he was confronting one or two "unarmed" robbers. After he hit the first robber--which caused the robber to lose his gun and go momentarily unconscious--he probably wasn't even aware that a second armed guy would be coming around the corner shooting like Butch Cassidy & Sundance kid.

Also, for anyone crazy enough to think what he did was smart, should step back and re-access the situation. He is very, very lucky to be alive. One bullet either four inches to the left or right, would been his death. One bullet to his head would have been instant death. One bullet to an organ or his heart would have been death. Also, the second robber could have simply walked over to Les while he was on the ground and shot him point blank in the head for attacking them. That would have been the end of Les...and for what...some pocket change and loose items that can carry on their back? Is that worth risking death? Being paralyzed for life? Quadriplegic for life?

I think a lot of people--myself included is happy that less confronted the robbers--but that's only because it somehow empowers us, and makes us think we can do the same. We all want to send a message to the robbers not to not f%uck with us.

Frank

Really Frank! What would you have done with a group of school children on your property and two guys start entering condos? Invite them in and discus the benifts of obama care and socializm!
There is a time to fight frank! Even if you are in a weaker position! That amigo is a prime example when to defend yourself and people in your care! Sometimes you have to fight when your a man, like the songs goes.
Les is a man of men! If I was in town I would donate blood !

drescape24

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
They just looked like they were robbing the place. Little hooded fellow being a look out, he seemed to know what direction to expect him. Very gutsy guy acting on impulse can be rather dangerous. He was all about adrenaline, trying to continue after them after being shot, kneeling on a shot out knee. I dont think it would have been wise for anyone to come immediately to his aid as there could well have been the shooter still in there. They may have seen two run but no idea how many came.
All said, his family should be very proud.

Get well soon, hope you can ID them on recovery.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Really Frank! What would you have done with a group of school children on your property and two guys start entering condos? Invite them in and discus the benifts of obama care and socializm!
There is a time to fight frank! Even if you are in a weaker position! That amigo is a prime example when to defend yourself and people in your care! Sometimes you have to fight when your a man, like the songs goes.
Les is a man of men! If I was in town I would donate blood !

drescape24

Yes, yes, i agree with all this. I never disputed it. But to reiterate once again...yes. it was brave beyond the belief, courageous in spades, the man clearly has balls of steel, and i would have his children, but that doesn't mean confronting gun men with a wooden plank is smart.

I probably would have done the same, but i never claimed to be smart. I still got two black--well yellow now--eyes as a result of fighting with a group of motoconchos in the middle of street. And i would gladly do it again and again. But obviously i am not smart. I'm not right in the head. Never have been. I'm also built wrong and i smell funny too.

Frank

Yes, yes, i agree with all this. I never disputed it. But to reiterate once again...yes. it was brave beyond the belief, courageous in spades, the man clearly has balls of steel, and i would have his children, but that doesn't mean confronting gun men with a wooden plank is smart.

I probably would have done the same, but i never claimed to be smart. I still got two black--well yellow now--eyes as a result of fighting with a group of motoconchos in the middle of street. And i would gladly do it again and again. But obviously i am not smart. I'm not right in the head. Never have been. I'm also built wrong and i smell funny too.

Frank

did you ever tell the whole story about why you were in this fight? Please do!