Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Looks like they are pouring the concrete bridge deck

406770395_10161678868039187_6637239835581630027_n.jpg
Those pumper trucks fascinate me. I still remember when cranes with big buckets were the norm.

This guy can cover more than half of the surface of that bridge.

I don't think they'll stop pumping today until the entire thing is poured.

CB, is that the case, or do they incorporate expansion joints and use those to divide pours?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Those pumper trucks fascinate me. I still remember when cranes with big buckets were the norm.

CB, is that the case, or do they incorporate expansion joints and use those to divide pours?
Looks to me like one nonstop pour. I see no signs of expansion joints which is strange to me. In Canada a pour this large wouldn't last a year before buckling due to cold and heat. Their sidewalks show the results. No expansion joints and no control cuts. New sidewalks and curbs are all cracked in all sorts of ways around sosua.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Well yes they should have expansion joints and they should be in place for the pour. But this isn't a very long structure and it does not go through the temperature extremes of more northern climates.

I don't see screeds set up so I don't know how they are controlling grade in the top?

We will see if it's a bumpy ride when the finish.
One week from tomorrow is the scheduled dedication

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Looks to me like one nonstop pour. I see no signs of expansion joints which is strange to me. In Canada a pour this large wouldn't last a year before buckling due to cold and heat. Their sidewalks show the results. No expansion joints and no control cuts. New sidewalks and curbs are all cracked in all sorts of ways around sosua.
We need em from ground freazing and lifting then dropping in spring ..

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Well yes they should have expansion joints and they should be in place for the pour. But this isn't a very long structure and it does not go through the temperature extremes of more northern climates.

I don't see screeds set up so I don't know how they are controlling grade in the top?

They are doing it like gunite pool spray whole area coming back so gravity doesn’t drop has decent grade to it …

Big

Apr 24, 2019

one of the most entertaining shows I have seen in my life is the heavy equipment. expo held every two years in Las Vegas NV. Its amazing

Reactions: JD Jones

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
If you watch they dig fill then concrete ..no settling on ground or Tamping before concrete.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Even if there are expansion joints, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to see them in that picture.

I'm guessing they've got a guy with a long pole with a planing plate on the end to smooth out the surface.

And I'm also guessing they're pouring it about 6-8 thick, and when that comes out of the pumper tube it spreads pretty evenly.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Expansion%20joints,%20Types,%20Purposes,%20Uses,%20Advantages%20and%20Disadvanatages.jpg

ejfinger.gif

I think that you would see these in the foto. Let me jump to a conclusion. No expansion joints were used

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Bridge will be completed soon then all labor force will be going to Sosúa Beach and town.
Cuatro años más y después hablamos!

JJ

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Bridge will be completed soon then all labor force will be going to Sosúa Beach and town.
Cuatro años más y después hablamos!

JJ
Yepp, been here 12 years now and seen it EVERY F***ING time.. lots of work like 6 months before the elections.. then when the elections are done everybody stops no matter if the projects are done or not... :ROFLMAO:

Of course it's going to be bumpy, have you ever ridden on a road here in the DR?
Take for example Sosúa Abajo, apparently, they didn't know how to make a level road. The middle section is perhaps 6 inches taller than the rest of the road..
And even when a road is fresh, you feel that it's not level, but there are small bumps all over.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Expansion%20joints,%20Types,%20Purposes,%20Uses,%20Advantages%20and%20Disadvanatages.jpg

ejfinger.gif

I think that you would see these in the foto. Let me jump to a conclusion. No expansion joints were used
Maybe they won't place them. The last one in your picture is pretty much for major movement, which won't happen. They abutment pads could also absorb some movement from the beams set on them.
Since this is a short span and not subject to wild swings in temperature it won't be critical.
It could also be cut in after ward, if they blocked out for it.
With all the welded studs atop those beams that concrete is pretty locked in to whatever the beams do.

Reactions: cavok and JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Even if there are expansion joints, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to see them in that picture.

I'm guessing they've got a guy with a long pole with a planing plate on the end to smooth out the surface.

And I'm also guessing they're pouring it about 6-8 thick, and when that comes out of the pumper tube it spreads pretty evenly.
I hope they have a whirlybird power trowel to make a couple passes, but they probably don't want a smooth finish. Rougher for brake stopping power
That's a lot of deck to finish with a bull float and fresno trowels and buckets of lead weights - You would need a lot of pole extensions and that would be a circus to watch some poor fellow try to make that work

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
look how freaking dirty that water is wow may have to put lights on my crab nets
That's sediment. Major rivers have turn like that when there is much rain along any of the stretches it runs through or any other river that feeds the main one before it reaches the coast since colonial times and before that.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

I hope they have a whirlybird power trowel to make a couple passes, but they probably don't want a smooth finish. Rougher for brake stopping power
That's a lot of deck to finish with a bull float and fresno trowels and buckets of lead weights - You would need a lot of pole extensions and that would be a circus to watch some poor fellow try to make that work
And yet you can see that's exactly what they're doing at 5:45 :LOL:

The gentleman (Don Felix Corona) who recorded the video (Squirrel!) also mentioned they are going to cover the cement with asphalt.

BTW, what we were calling tubes was actually aluzinc corregated sheets. If you watch his video from last week, you can see the workers laying the sheets, and I'm going to guess they are 2 meters long.

According to him, they will finish the cement today, and he'll come back for another video. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
And yet you can see that's exactly what they're doing at 5:45 :LOL:

The gentleman (Don Felix Corona) who recorded the video (Squirrel!) also mentioned they are going to cover the cement with asphalt.

BTW, what we were calling tubes was actually aluzinc corregated sheets. If you watch his video from last week, you can see the workers laying the sheets, and I'm going to guess they are 2 meters long.

According to him, they will finish the cement today, and he'll come back for another video. Stay tuned.
I see a float leaning up on the edge but no one using it.
Since there plan is to asphalt over the concrete probably they are OK with just to screed off and they'll make it up in the asphalt

Reactions: JD Jones
Status
Not open for further replies.