Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I passed by to have a look today. They are currently back filling and grading the eastern approach to the bridge, The western end must be filled and graded already, as there was wheeled equipment and a large boom truck on the bridge roadway. The boom truck was dropping off pre-painted guard rails for installation. Getting closer!! Sorry, no photos.

• Wow
Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Looking at this video from today there's no doubt it will be 4 lanes. Easily far enough along to have a dedication ceremony.

Reactions: cavok

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Four lanes and walkway on each side!! Where are all the not a hope in hell be done by spring if lucky people? Very impressive considering first foundation was torn down regrading and still made it..

• Haha

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Four lanes and walkway on each side!! Where are all the not a hope in hell be done by spring if lucky people? Very impressive considering first foundation was torn down regrading and still made it..
I was going to mention that but decided against it. Not to brag but I've been batting close to 1000 on this one.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Impressive for the DR , YES .. very much so
NOT Impressive for the rest of the Civilized world .
Like the videos prev Posted where we showed examples of much more Complicated Overpasses in like 4 days ... but again, no poured Concrete on Site on those.
but yeagh, this is quite good so far .
Applause .

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
They've also been asphalting roads since day 1 as well. It just looks like it's being done because of elections.
They have been asphalting roads since my arrival in December of 2003. Tbh, it seems that which each administration since then the pace has picked up. This is not a new project. Each administration has also promised the power situation to be priority #1

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
FWIW, they have completed over 300 projects so far over the last 3 years. This is just 1 of them.

They've also been asphalting roads since day 1 as well. It just looks like it's being done because of elections.
He's doing a good job and has finished a lot of projects. Unfortunately, Hwy 21 wasn't one of his more urgent projects. After three years, it is getting close to be finished.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
There aren't any steel beams under that fiasco
What’s even more amazing is, it appears the four workers who fell during the collapse survived. Talk about leading charmed lives. Chico, if compliance with OSHA type regulations was mandatory for contractors and the DR government enforced them, worker safety in the DR would be elevated to a whole new level.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
FWIW, they have completed over 300 projects so far over the last 3 years. This is just 1 of them.

JD. I agree that some of the construction and paving projects are actually planned and not election driven. The Cangrejo bridge on the main North Coast highway is a different political beast. It‘s traversed by thousands of vehicles daily transporting locals, tourists, and goods. A lifeline for patients being transported to hospitals by ambulance.

The detour is a nightmare during periods of heavy rain. Anyone who drives a car and can vote wants this bridge replaced yesterday. There were several demonstrations complaining about the lack of action. President Abinader is definitely feeling the political pressure on this one. Voters have short memories and Abinader is counting on that. He’s pretty much a shoe for President in the upcoming elections anyway. Any political fallout from the bridge fiasco won’t affect him long term.

Paving machines rolling out in large numbers prior to elections is standard operating procedure for incumbent governments everywhere. The one thing you are guaranteed to see in Sosua is paving machines prior to elections. I base that on what I saw along the North Coast highway during the last three elections.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The number of people that can vote on the north coast does not have much effect on the outcome of a presidential election.
I don't expect people who are mad the bridge took so long and vote against Abinader over that will make any difference in his successful reelection.

The delay in getting the replacement bridge project started was inexcusable, but it won't matter in the long run.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
JD. I agree that some of the construction and paving projects are actually planned and not election driven. The Cangrejo bridge on the main North Coast highway is a different political beast. It‘s traversed by thousands of vehicles daily transporting locals, tourists, and goods. A lifeline for patients being transported to hospitals by ambulance.

The detour is a nightmare during periods of heavy rain. Anyone who drives a car and can vote wants this bridge replaced yesterday. There were several demonstrations complaining about the lack of action. President Abinader is definitely feeling the political pressure on this one. Voters have short memories and Abinader is counting on that. He’s pretty much a shoe for President in the upcoming elections anyway. Any political fallout from the bridge fiasco won’t affect him long term.

Paving machines rolling out in large numbers prior to elections is standard operating procedure for incumbent governments everywhere. The one thing you are guaranteed to see in Sosua is paving machines prior to elections. I base that on what I saw along the North Coast highway during the last three elections.
One of the things that is different of the current DR vs the one of not msny decades ago is how many roads are paved. Even many roads in remote rural areas where the roads were always made of dirt nowadays appear paved. The same with other services such as public lights. This change had actuwlly been seen since the times of Leonel and has continued with the other governments.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
One of the things that is different of the current DR vs the one of not msny decades ago is how many roads are paved. Even many roads in remote rural areas where the roads were always made of dirt nowadays appear paved. The same with other services such as public lights. This change had actuwlly been seen since the times of Leonel and has continued with the other governments.
Since you mentioned public or street lights, we came back from the capital around 8pm last night along autopista Las Americas. I was amazed at all the non-functioning lights. It had to be over 3 km with nothing on. We remarked that it's not a good place to break down at night.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Since you mentioned public or street lights, we came back from the capital around 8pm last night along autopista Las Americas. I was amazed at all the non-functioning lights. It had to be over 3 km with nothing on. We remarked that it's not a good place to break down at night.
Imagine what it was like when it wasn't lit at all.

I never cease to be amazed at how brazen wire thieves can be.

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Status
Not open for further replies.