Changing My Life---help!

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Sking .. you seem to have a plan. Go with your gut and I'm sure all will turn out for the best. It's a great opportunity for your children to learn about a new culture & learn to speak a Spanish (it will pay off in the long run if they ever decide to move back to the states) It will be an adapting process in the first few months, but soon after I'm sure they will love it. You figure out what is important in life you weigh things out. Granted, it is a 3rd world country but it has beautiful places- beaches & campo, lovely people and great memories. Best of Luck!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
All in good spirits!!!

Of course. And you are so right about change.........clearly I wouldn't even understand the language used in Camden Town these days. :laugh:

SKing, best of luck to you. Might be a good idea if you could post during your first year in Sajoma - the good, the bad and the incredible - as a learning tool for others in your position.

theartofbone

Oct 28, 2003
I may be wrong, but basing your familial satisifacion upon your children's play ethics usualy is considered a bad idea. I would like to remind that many children, and non-children, have died while 'playing'. I'd look for safer playing fields, especially after remembering the fact that not everyone is as bad as you; some people are worse and I recommend you don't take that for granted.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I may be wrong, but basing your familial satisifacion upon your children's play ethics usualy is considered a bad idea. I would like to remind that many children, and non-children, have died while 'playing'. I'd look for safer playing fields, especially after remembering the fact that not everyone is as bad as you; some people are worse and I recommend you don't take that for granted.

Sir, are you on the right post because I do not understand what you are saying or even what you are referring to.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With respect to your children's education, both the schools you mentioned are fine and with a little help by you and practice, will be able to maintain their English skills and learn Spanish too.

My daughter goes to holy Trinity and I am pleased for the most part except the elitism that is apparent among the affluent here - this will be found at any school and parents must be ready to combat it.

As far as Santiago being undesirable, we live in Santiago in the Gurabo area and really have few complaints. I also have lived in the campo in Moca so I know how that life is. The fact is there isn't any difference between most of the people in Santiago or San Jose de las matas believe it or not. You will find this out as you meet more people and learn the language and customs better. Therefore, you really should consider Santiago as a place to live. I can promise you that you and your children will start missing many of the conveniences that a city like Santiago has as the campo can get real boring real quick, not to mention the lack of good schools.

suerte

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Future of your children? ? ?

I think that like all mothers you would like your children to have at least as good a life as you have enjoyed: Therefore, . . .

1. Where will your children be educated in the DR? In English or Spanish? Location of possible schools [plural]? Costs?

2. When your children reach college age, will they be adequately prepared for an American University education?
* Shouldn't your children have the option of returning to the USA or staying in the DR when they reach the 20 - 25 - 30 stages of life. Can you adequately prepare them? Now?
* Is it realistic to burden your offspring with a Dominican college education? Why?

3. Will your children have a Dominican step-father? Alternatives?

4. I was an American practicing attorney in an earlier carnation. [I prefer the DR!] My frequent advice to clients, applicable to you - I think: what is the worst case scenario for what you plan to do? Very specifically? With all details. In your case: do you have an "out"? If you or the children realize you made a serious mistake, perhaps in 24 months, how can you "bail out".

4. Keep your American RN certification current!

Good fortune. You seem determined. Except for your 3 children, I see little negative in what you plan to do. Your children? Time will tell.

jsantos

Sep 28, 2007
I'm also leaving to DR March 2008

You really need to put everything down on paper and think things thru. I'm leaving for about 8-9 months or at least until my husband gets his Visa but I've been planning this for a while now. You need to plan things like health insurance, you have reliable car, school, you can look on aldaba.org for employment...expenses. I have 2 kids and one on the way and its a lot to think about. I'm at least going to less than a year but to move there permanently is really a drastic step. Like someone else mentioned vacationing is one thing but moving with 3 kids is another.

wish u luck....

caro

Sep 24, 2003
do you have plan in your budget all the fly you want to make back to the USA you alone or with your children ? when I read you that look to be a important thing to put in your budget because you look like you will travel a lot

theartofbone

Oct 28, 2003
Sir, are you on the right post because I do not understand what you are saying or even what you are referring to.

Greetings SKing. Yes, I was conscious when I posted on this current and correct thread. I am curious though, what didn't you understand? My comments were for the original poster, in response to her first post... I got the impression that she was being naive to the situation here in the DR.

If I am not from here (DR) and I can tell when someone else is not from here, I'm pretty sure the locals have a keener eye, and it is no surprise that some locals or anybody with enough shame/cowardness have taken advantage of foreigners by falsely imposing a friendship.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Greetings SKing. Yes, I was conscious when I posted on this current and correct thread. I am curious though, what didn't you understand? My comments were for the original poster, in response to her first post... I got the impression that she was being naive to the situation here in the DR.

The original poster was SKing.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think that like all mothers you would like your children to have at least as good a life as you have enjoyed: Therefore, . . .

1. Where will your children be educated in the DR? In English or Spanish? Location of possible schools [plural]? Costs?

2. When your children reach college age, will they be adequately prepared for an American University education?
* Shouldn't your children have the option of returning to the USA or staying in the DR when they reach the 20 - 25 - 30 stages of life. Can you adequately prepare them? Now?
* Is it realistic to burden your offspring with a Dominican college education? Why?

3. Will your children have a Dominican step-father? Alternatives?

4. I was an American practicing attorney in an earlier carnation. [I prefer the DR!] My frequent advice to clients, applicable to you - I think: what is the worst case scenario for what you plan to do? Very specifically? With all details. In your case: do you have an "out"? If you or the children realize you made a serious mistake, perhaps in 24 months, how can you "bail out".

4. Keep your American RN certification current!

Good fortune. You seem determined. Except for your 3 children, I see little negative in what you plan to do. Your children? Time will tell.

I am glad you were only 'Practicing' in your earlier carnation Gringosabroso :cheeky: as the OP has answered all those questions in her posts. Read the posts from her again & I think you will find all four questions (with their sub-questions) were covered.

Your fifth 'fourth' question was also covered.:ermm: ;)

SKing - I admire your tenacity. I respect your decision & hope you succeed in your desires to have a more enjoyable life. As many wiser than me have said often in the past, living here is totally different to visiting here. If you come with a determination to succeed, you will - because such determination will keep you aware of what is happening around you, it will keep you constantly vigilant & allow you to see yourself as others see you. Getting immersed with the local community, the culture & the awareness of the needs of others (without putting your hand deep into your own pocket to resolve their needs) will go a long way to ensuring the community's support of YOU if/when things get tough for a month or two!!

I wish you good luck, positive thought & action (Oh, ..... & a healthy income) when you get here. ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I wish you good luck, positive thought & action (Oh, ..... & a healthy income) when you get here. ~ Grahame.

Thank you so much for that positive message, I am praying that everything will go well even though I know that it will not be perfect. I hope to start a journal, as some posters recommended, regarding this situation. The good and the bad. But I know for myself that I am making the right decision even if some people don't. It is posters like you and many others who have given me hope that make me glad that I found this website. I understand that there are undesirable aspects of my plan and I appreciate the posters who have given me that information also. I only wish they would have done it with the intent of informing me and not judging/condemning me. Thanks again, I hope that we will continue to communicate through this website, it has already helped me so much!!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
If I am not from here (DR) and I can tell when someone else is not from here, I'm pretty sure the locals have a keener eye, and it is no surprise that some locals or anybody with enough shame/cowardness have taken advantage of foreigners by falsely imposing a friendship.

That is true but I hope that you are not referring to my best friend because she had no intent of returning to DR, so she would have no reason to lie to me or steer me wrong.