Cheap Chinese Tires

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Ooh ooh, Finally a mechanical question I can answer. If the tire has too much porosity it's flat and you end up in the garage.

Jan 9, 2004
Polar Bear;1769939 I'd like to hear his response.[/QUOTE said:
Me too.

You can test certain things for porosity like concrete or even tire rims. But I have never ever heard of a valid test for porosity for tires. As to age, there are so many credible agencies that warn not to rely on tires over a certain age whether new or kept her medically sealed in a mayonnaise jar.......

British Rubber Manufactuers Association, Japanese Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association and countless others in the US and elsewhere who reiterate a shelf life for tires before degradation can set in.

But I also get that if your business is exporting old used tires then you might have a vested interest in disagreeing with the findings.

Container loads of those very same used, blemished or seconds tires arrive daily in the DR and are re-purposed. It is a fairly big business here.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Ooh ooh, Finally a mechanical question I can answer. If the tire has too much porosity it's flat and you end up in the garage.

I love it when you talk like that.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Me too.

You can test certain things for porosity like concrete or even tire rims. But I have never ever heard of a valid test for porosity for tires. As to age, there are so many credible agencies that warn not to rely on tires over a certain age whether new or kept her medically sealed in a mayonnaise jar.......

British Rubber Manufactuers Association, Japanese Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association and countless others in the US and elsewhere who reiterate a shelf life for tires before degradation can set in.

But I also get that if your business is exporting old used tires then you might have a vested interest in disagreeing with the findings.

Container loads of those very same used, blemished or seconds tires arrive daily in the DR and are re-purposed. It is a fairly big business here.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

My friend , a 25 yr veteran here, will NOT buy one single tire here.
Imports them all.

On his advice , I did the same.
After reading CB's posts, I may change in the future.

Jan 9, 2004
Now that's a funny auto-correct.
:classic:

You are right.

Spelled it "hermetically"......hit send....and when I looked at it after the editing time period had lapsed.....I got "her medically."

Seems it only happens when I use my ipad. Love this artificial intelligence that wants to tell you what it thinks you want to say......and then auto corrects.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Has anybody bought APlus brand sedan tires here? A Chinese tire.

It's a Class A rated tire lol.

Any success?

Here is a pic the guy sent me even better.
0bf0370927a24ef4ee403d6b3b56e983.jpg

69c9cfd3dcf214541c6859aea4d3dfcb.jpg

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Ended up with Lanvigator Performax. He said we'd get 20k miles out of them...maybe more..we shall see...I'd take a good solid 20k out of them. I just hope they dont round and shred and off course hit a bad pot hole mound on the way home. Airplane lighted car oncoming moved me too far to the right and BLAMMO...hit the edge of the worst pot hole fill job on the 5 in the entire DR lol.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Has anybody bought APlus brand sedan tires here? A Chinese tire.

It's a Class A rated tire lol.

Any success?

Here is a pic the guy sent me even better.
0bf0370927a24ef4ee403d6b3b56e983.jpg

69c9cfd3dcf214541c6859aea4d3dfcb.jpg

I have Aplus tires on my Santa Fe now that were purchased at David Tire Shop. So far so good, but not a lot of miles on them yet. I had been buying my tires at Price Smart, but I was not really pleased with a recent purchase of Bridgestone tires for the same vehicle.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Based on excellent performance in the past, we put a set of Hifly Vigorous AT601's, 265/70-16, on out Explorer. Grippy, very tough all-terrain tires for poor road conditions here. The set was RD$23,000 including mounting, balance and alignment:

hifly-at601_4.png

This makes the 5th set of Chinese tires for our vehicles without any failures, performance problems or unwelcomed issues, and we travel the DR extensively often on poor roads.

I am especially fond of ^^^this Hifly^^^ model tire, though may be overkill if you only drive on pavement or have a standard sedan. It's terrific for an SUV on any terrain.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
David Tire Shop APLUS A606 215/70R15 set of 4 tires for Hyundai Santa Fe mounted,balanced and alignment for $14,000 RD.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
David Tire Shop APLUS A606 215/70R15 set of 4 tires for Hyundai Santa Fe mounted,balanced and alignment for $14,000 RD.
How does that alignment system work at David? They put those mounts on each tire, the tire doesnt spin, I assume it is wireless and never saw a read out.

I thought it was like a 3 card Monty alignment[emoji58]

How do you true up a tire without ever rotating it LOL...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How does that alignment system work at David? They put those mounts on each tire, the tire doesnt spin, I assume it is wireless and never saw a read out.

I thought it was like a 3 card Monty alignment[emoji58]

How do you true up a tire without ever rotating it LOL...

I have had alignments done there several times. Yes, they mount a transmitter on each tire, then they watch a display and adjust the alignment while watching the display. It is not a "cheap" piece of gear that they are using.

They also balance the tires, which is what you might refer to as "rotating" them, but that is done in a separate machine while off the car using weights.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have had alignments done there several times. Yes, they mount a transmitter on each tire, then they watch a display and adjust the alignment while watching the display. It is not a "cheap" piece of gear that they are using.

They also balance the tires, which is what you might refer to as "rotating" them, but that is done in a separate machine while off the car using weights.

Rotating is not the same as balancing.

Balancing is when the wheel is spun up on a machine that calculates how much weight and where to place it on the rim to ensure that it is centrifugally equal and stops the vibration being transmitted to the car when travelling. Usually felt more at higher speeds.

Rotating is when you move one wheel from once place to another, such as swapping right rear and left front. This equals out wear during the tyre's life as the fronts tend to wear quicker than the rears. And by swapping left to right you change the wheel's direction and prevents the tyre from developing steps on the tread blocks.

David has a very nice Hunter alignment rig. The problem is, the mechanic who uses it has never been properly trained on it.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017

Balancing is when the wheel is spun up on a machine that calculates how much weight and where to place it on the rim to ensure that it is centrifugally equal and stops the vibration being transmitted to the car when travelling. Usually felt more at higher speeds.

Rotating is when you move one wheel from once place to another, such as swapping right rear and left front. This equals out wear during the tyre's life as the fronts tend to wear quicker than the rears. And by swapping left to right you change the wheel's direction and prevents the tyre from developing steps on the tread blocks.

David has a very nice Hunter alignment rig. The problem is, the mechanic who uses it has never been properly trained on it.
By rotating I meant spinning the tire. I did not see them do that. I will check to see if they hammered on any weights.

If the Hunter is made for alignment only that makes sense. I am going to research how it is suppose to work.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Alignments are easy with hunter , computer tells them camber and toe which way to adjust ,really stupid proof computer will tell them if it’s right..where experience shows is if steering wheel is centred to alignment, when you do shocks and struts you should do it...most don’t
They mark where Strut was and try place same place ,same goes with tie rod replacement. Alignment machine around 25gs new.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Yes, I know what rotating means when switching tire positions to achieve more tire life. They will do that if you ask them to do it. If you don't ask, I doubt they will just do it.

I had guessed the other poster meant "rotating' to mean spin balancing them. And that seems to be correct in that case.

As for the person doing the alignment, I have no idea how hard it is to do, but it looks very simple when I was there watching it being done. Of course, I have never been trained on the machine, so I cannot really tell if it was done correctly other than when I watch the screen and it appears to be showing all of the wheels in the correct positions.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you don’t l8ke David... go to Javier at RSJ Texaco for balancing and alignment

Better yet... if it's not too late for you..... Nagua
Much more of a 'car place' than Sosua....and perhaps larger.

They have the Express oil change... tires - everything

And closer for you
I do my car work there.... Nagua serves a large area