Cheap Chinese Tires

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Better yet... if it's not too late for you..... Nagua
Much more of a 'car place' than Sosua....and perhaps larger.

They have the Express oil change... tires - everything

And closer for you
I do my car work there.... Nagua serves a large area
Bill, that's what it is called? Express Oil Change? Can you dot a map or something?

Thanks!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Chinese tires since I was living in DR was my favorite as they have less steel in radial application this make them more flexible and more reliable for roads in bad condition.

JJ

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bill, that's what it is called? Express Oil Change? Can you dot a map or something?

Thanks!

Go to Nagua on the main road (no shortcut thru town).... proceed to the split off to the Samana Peninsula which goes left.
Follow that a 100-150 yds or so and the road veers right - again to the airport and peninsula

It's right there on the left... tires, oil, the works.

IMO - Sosua is a tourist town and not that well equipped to deal with mechanical issues
Nagua is an agricultural town serving a big hinterland....more basic/fundamental services.

And closer!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For easier service....

Texaco in RSJ.... Javier has excellent English and does oil, tires, etc... brakes, the works
All routine maintenance

And BTW
David Tire in Sosua

Sign reads
DAVID Tires Shop...... ‘s’ is on Tire....
Saw it today

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Just be careful of David TireS shop. He's got used to his gringo customers. If you don't haggle with him, you pay gringo prices.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I decided against Chinese tyres in the end. I've ordered a full set of Bridgestones from the US. There are some bargains to be had and still work out cheaper paying the shipping to the DR with one of the usual couriers.

At least I know my new tyres will be in date and not shelf life expired.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Join the club beeza

I got Pirellis for $95 each.... shipped them in

There is a thread here... Tire Rack and a new one I found...
I’ll look

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've got some Asian tires on my vehicles too. Yokohama. May be Chinese too. Hard to believe how long they've lasted and they still look almost new. Weren't very cheap though.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've got some Asian tires on my vehicles too. Yokohama. May be Chinese too. Hard to believe how long they've lasted and they still look almost new. Weren't very cheap though.
Yokohama is Japanese and manufacture excellent tires.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I recently put klever kenda tires on my toyota hilux.........
And OMG, what a disapointment............ they handle ok at low and regular speeds, more than ok at low speed to be honest..... but at high speeds ?? I nearly lost control twice while flying over dips in the road :( yes, yes, i know, the simple solution is to travel at a normal pace, but, there you go.......... A bit less than 7k pesos per tire, mounted.

I have to say that before i had michellin lattitude cross on it before.....which were great. I swear by michellin, btw. I find they improve handling and fuel consumption immensly, especially when changing from "factory mounts" on a new vehicule.

Oh and the funny thing is a bunch of people asked me what i was doing with the old tires...... and they were old, old tires....... sold for 1k pesos each, lol.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Chinese and cheap don’t rhyme any more
And Chinese no longer rhymes with "cheesy."

Look at what may be coming to the DR this spring:

ThrNHi.png

Talk about a near visual clone of a US$30,000 in the DR motorcycle! But twin-cylinder 500cc, dual-mode EFI, three-mode ABS, 43mm forks, 17"/19" wheels and massive suspension play.

The Chinese are for real, even if IP cloning goes unpunished.

That bike has many of my BMW fanboi friends frothing at the mouth in anger.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Just a question...did the Chinese tyre aficionados here ever see à test on braking distances? No the time has come to put winter tyres under my Alfa I have seen great differences between the different brands, and prices course.
It might be important for the DR as well as the roads become rather dangerous when wet.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Interestingly a few establishments are offering Chinese cars as raffle prizes this Christmas. I noticed an SUV called the JAC S3 at the Caribe Express in POP the other day.

Quite a handsome car. But the strange thing I noticed, is that it was shod with Dunlops. So why aren't Chinese car manufacturers using Chinese tyres?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just a question...did the Chinese tyre aficionados here ever see à test on braking distances? No the time has come to put winter tyres under my Alfa I have seen great differences between the different brands, and prices course.
It might be important for the DR as well as the roads become rather dangerous when wet.

I never worry about braking distances. None of my vehicles (4) have seen 50 mph when I'm behind the wheel under normal driving.

If one drives slow, it gives everybody else time to react to situations. In this country especially, speed kills.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Chinese and cheap don’t rhyme any more

Chinese and Crap still rhyme. Yes they can and do make great products, Lenovo computers for one. But as a whole their products rust, break or generally under perform in their duties and life cycle.

Of course decades ago when I was young the Japanese produced crap too, then came Honda and Isuzu and Toyota upping the quality and the whole nation figured out this was a way to win customers

- But China is famous for cutting corners and grabbing the quick Yuan - so I don't see them producing many products that are of note in my lifetime (what's left of it).

As for that BWM motorcycle clone - If someone buys one report back how long it takes before the rust moves in

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Interestingly a few establishments are offering Chinese cars as raffle prizes this Christmas. I noticed an SUV called the JAC S3 at the Caribe Express in POP the other day.

Quite a handsome car. But the strange thing I noticed, is that it was shod with Dunlops. So why aren't Chinese car manufacturers using Chinese tyres?
Dunlop has a large factory in China, so most likely they are Chinese tires.