Cheap Chinese Tires

Jan 9, 2004
Interestingly a few establishments are offering Chinese cars as raffle prizes this Christmas. I noticed an SUV called the JAC S3 at the Caribe Express in POP the other day.

Quite a handsome car. But the strange thing I noticed, is that it was shod with Dunlops. So why aren't Chinese car manufacturers using Chinese tyres?

Lots of moving parts here.

The JAC S3 you saw is likely made in Mexico (next time there see if the first letter of the vehicle identification number VIN is a 3). JAC formed a joint venture with Giant Motors (owned by Carlos Slim) to produce the S3 in Mexico for export.

Sorry to be political here, but there is no way around it to provide an answer.

Key in on the recently re-negotiated NAFTA (now called USMCA) for a moment and that answer will start to crystallize.

The re-negotiated NAFTA came about as an indirect result of China trying to avoid tariffs. Mexican goods under that regimen came in mostly duty-free.

China saw that opportunity and formed a joint venture in Mexico and to backdoor tariff free into the US......

Trump's new agreement calls for a greater percentage content of the car to be sourced from members of the new agreement (USMCA)......thus effectively killing the move by China to enter the US tariff free and gain competitive edge over its German and Japanese rivals who produced and exported certain models to the US.

There is more........but to get to your answer..........

In order to try and boost content of the cars from US companies, part of that strategy was to use components from companies either made or headquartered in the US.

Dunlop is a division of Goodyear Tire and Rubber, based in the US......and which would give JAC claim to helping boosting American content of the vehicle.....and eventually gain entry into the lucrative US market.

The US saw what was happening in Mexico and declared that they (Mexico) were violating if not the actual Agreement, certainly the spirit surrounding why it was formed. Thus the new USMCA with stricter content rules amongst other changes.

And so we have another question looming as to why the Chinese have all of a sudden cozied up to the DR. Expect the Chinese to try the same under DR/CAFTA............with similar results.

As a side note, JAC is one of the first manufacturers to use "car in a box" assembly versus traditional assembly line techniques.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Chinese and Crap still rhyme. Yes they can and do make great products, Lenovo computers for one. But as a whole their products rust, break or generally under perform in their duties and life cycle.

Of course decades ago when I was young the Japanese produced crap too, then came Honda and Isuzu and Toyota upping the quality and the whole nation figured out this was a way to win customers

- But China is famous for cutting corners and grabbing the quick Yuan - so I don't see them producing many products that are of note in my lifetime (what's left of it).

As for that BWM motorcycle clone - If someone buys one report back how long it takes before the rust moves in
I am a dealer for have several high-end Chinese motorcycles (Zongshen) so I have good experience with them. The number of warranty claims to date: zero.

In 3 years all of my demos, two RX3's and two RA1's, show zero evidence of rust or corrosion. I did have rust in an RX3 fuel tank, but I had rust in two V-Stroms fuel tanks also, so that is not the fault of the manufacturer. It's user error solved with electrolysis and POR-15.

The Zongshen bikes are manufactured in plants with n ISO9001 (QA), ISO14001 (Environmental Management), ISO18001 (OSHA) Certifications. They manufacture 1,200,000 motorcycles and 4,000,000 motorcycle engines a year. The factory also manufactures parts for Harley-Davidson, Piaggio, BMW and Vespa.

I've owned three Chinese cell phones, all winners. In fact, the one I own now, a Vernee V2 Pro, is incredible in quality and performance...for $250.

I've had five sets of Chinese tires in 5 years and have been 100% pleased with their performance. I did have a 40mph panic stop in our Explorer with Chinese tires and had zero issues in stopping power. That said, the ABS is more capable than a human is in those situations.

That BMW "clone" (at 500cc vs 1200cc, I'd hardly label it a "clone" beyond appearance) will only be $7000 in the DR vs $30-32,000 for the BMW.

One should reconsider their thoughts on many Chinese products. Like the old image of cheap Japanese products that is outdated, Chinese products, especially those targeted for export to the First World, have seen a massive increase in quality.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am a dealer for have several high-end Chinese motorcycles (Zongshen) so I have good experience with them. The number of warranty claims to date: zero.

In 3 years all of my demos, two RX3's and two RA1's, show zero evidence of rust or corrosion. I did have rust in an RX3 fuel tank, but I had rust in two V-Stroms fuel tanks also, so that is not the fault of the manufacturer. It's user error solved with electrolysis and POR-15.

The Zongshen bikes are manufactured in plants with n ISO9001 (QA), ISO14001 (Environmental Management), ISO18001 (OSHA) Certifications. They manufacture 1,200,000 motorcycles and 4,000,000 motorcycle engines a year. The factory also manufactures parts for Harley-Davidson, Piaggio, BMW and Vespa.

I've owned three Chinese cell phones, all winners. In fact, the one I own now, a Vernee V2 Pro, is incredible in quality and performance...for $250.

I've had five sets of Chinese tires in 5 years and have been 100% pleased with their performance. I did have a 40mph panic stop in our Explorer with Chinese tires and had zero issues in stopping power. That said, the ABS is more capable than a human is in those situations.

That BMW "clone" (at 500cc vs 1200cc, I'd hardly label it a "clone" beyond appearance) will only be $7000 in the DR vs $30-32,000 for the BMW.

One should reconsider their thoughts on many Chinese products. Like the old image of cheap Japanese products that is outdated, Chinese products, especially those targeted for export to the First World, have seen a massive increase in quality.
I am sure they do make good products, most they target for export to the DR are not among them.

People here buy Chinese because they are cheap, but as the quality improves then the price will rise accordingly and if the price comes close to other known products I think many will opt for the more well known.

I don't yet trust Chinese metallurgy. One reason large engineering products block Chinese steel. We had some ordered in Saudi Arabia that failed engineering testing by a large margin. And Bechtel refused shipment.

But if their fabrication is overseen by foreign companies, Japanese, European or American then there is a more likely better quality control and higher engineering standards meeting foreign fabrication requirements.
But Cobra your experience with the Zongshen may be a sign of changing quality. 3 years is a short timeline but seems long enough to think you might be on the cusp of the change.
Can you provide a web link to the Zongshen products you import?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am sure they do make good products, most they target for export to the DR are not among them.

People here buy Chinese because they are cheap, but as the quality improves then the price will rise accordingly and if the price comes close to other known products I think many will opt for the more well known.

I don't yet trust Chinese metallurgy. One reason large engineering products block Chinese steel. We had some ordered in Saudi Arabia that failed engineering testing by a large margin. And Bechtel refused shipment.

But if their fabrication is overseen by foreign companies, Japanese, European or American then there is a more likely better quality control and higher engineering standards meeting foreign fabrication requirements.
But Cobra your experience with the Zongshen may be a sign of changing quality. 3 years is a short timeline but seems long enough to think you might be on the cusp of the change.
Can you provide a web link to the Zongshen products you import?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
I'll PM you.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Interestingly a few establishments are offering Chinese cars as raffle prizes this Christmas. I noticed an SUV called the JAC S3 at the Caribe Express in POP the other day.

Quite a handsome car. But the strange thing I noticed, is that it was shod with Dunlops. So why aren't Chinese car manufacturers using Chinese tyres?
Chinese clone/copy/forge everything. Those Dunlops are probabaly Chinese.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Just a question...did the Chinese tyre aficionados here ever see à test on braking distances? No the time has come to put winter tyres under my Alfa I have seen great differences between the different brands, and prices course.
It might be important for the DR as well as the roads become rather dangerous when wet.
All about breaking distances and wear consistency and duration. The theme of the thread is that the Chinese are doing a fairly good job in manufacturing tires. Now relying on braking distance information provided by a Chinese manufacturer is another thing.

Many articles how the USA really tries to vet these tires with standards before they come into the US.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had someone ask me about buying tires today....

I bet this is a goood option.... double check against Tire Rack’s prices

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Based on excellent performance in the past, we put a set of Hifly Vigorous AT601's, 265/70-16, on out Explorer. Grippy, very tough all-terrain tires for poor road conditions here. The set was RD$23,000 including mounting, balance and alignment:

hifly-at601_4.png

This makes the 5th set of Chinese tires for our vehicles without any failures, performance problems or unwelcomed issues, and we travel the DR extensively often on poor roads.

I am especially fond of ^^^this Hifly^^^ model tire, though may be overkill if you only drive on pavement or have a standard sedan. It's terrific for an SUV on any terrain.

I am wondering how the prices can be so low? Is it because labor is less expensive? That same set of tires on Amazon would be over 30,000 pesos, and that is without mounting, balancing and alignment.
Same deal with the poster after you. He said he paid 14,000 pesos, but the best deal I could find on the same tire in the US would be 23,000 pesos. Additionally, you are paying 18% tax there vs 6% in PA. Any idea why they are so much less? Possibly a different cheaper version?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am wondering how the prices can be so low? Is it because labor is less expensive? That same set of tires on Amazon would be over 30,000 pesos, and that is without mounting, balancing and alignment.
Same deal with the poster after you. He said he paid 14,000 pesos, but the best deal I could find on the same tire in the US would be 23,000 pesos. Additionally, you are paying 18% tax there vs 6% in PA. Any idea why they are so much less? Possibly a different cheaper version?
Beats me. All I know is it is the best tire I have used on DR roads. I'm on our second set of this particular tire on our Explorers and second set on our E350 van. Tough tires that perform as expected.

I was also sceptical at first. No more.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015

I think I will check out the Vernee V2 Pro....reviews I read give a thumbs up....you have confirmed it....cool

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Depends on where they're made. For many years I bought Goodyear Wranglers for one of my trucks. The ones made in Argentina (IIRC) were much cheaper than the US produced tires.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with shipping costs, tariffs, taxes, etc.