Constipation in DR

P

PeterInHigüey

The backpack spray is most likely RoundUp, same stuff they use in the US on most grain crops.

Constipation is one of the symptoms of low potassium. In the tropics, you need to keep up on your electrolytes and of course, water. I drink at least a half gallon a day. Avocados are a good source of fiber..

K

keepcoming

Water, water and more water. Tropical Paul and Cobraboy are so very correct. Took me a bit to get a clue about drinking enough water but now that I do, well it is smooth sailing... Drinking more water also helped with minor daily headaches I was getting. I am not a big "sport drink" lover but I will mix a bit of Gatorade in my water sometimes to flavor it a bit.

C

cobraboy

Water, water and more water. Tropical Paul and Cobraboy are so very correct. Took me a bit to get a clue about drinking enough water but now that I do, well it is smooth sailing... Drinking more water also helped with minor daily headaches I was getting. I am not a big "sport drink" lover but I will mix a bit of Gatorade in my water sometimes to flavor it a bit.
The sports drinks main benefit is potassium.

And, yeah, those low-grade headaches are from dehydration.

I harp on pour riders constantly about dehydration. I can tell when someone is getting low: his eyes get a little fuzzy and his thought process slow down...and on a motorcycle in the DR that is a bad combo.

B

Big

There are bugs in the DR that aren't in NJ. It took me over a year for my system to adjust.

Agree, tap water here will hurt you. But as far has the climate, it is very similar to south Florida if not the same so you cant blame it on that. A gentleman in a previous post hit the remedy right on, a shot of D.R tap water will work, in a bad way though. As people age their digestive system slows...a lot, hence the use of Metamucil, Citrucel etc . Anyway sorry to hear the poster is full of sheet still

W

william webster

A Sport drink -- and glug an Ensure for insurance.....

Pedialyte and Ensure got me thru Dengue....
full dehydration at 104F temperature

C

cobraboy

Agree, tap water here will hurt you. But as far has the climate, it is very similar to south Florida if not the same so you cant blame it on that. A gentleman in a previous post hit the remedy right on, a shot of D.R tap water will work, in a bad way though. As people age their digestive system slows...a lot, hence the use of Metamucil, Citrucel etc . Anyway sorry to hear the poster is full of sheet still
As a Floridian, I think the climate of most of the DR is substantially different.

For one, with few exceptions, FL is much more humid and generally has less wind, so the feel like" temp is higher and you can feel yourself sweating rapidly.

Here, there is more wind and less humidity, the "feel like" is lower so you don't feel yourself sweating as much, so it's easier to become dehydrated.

There is no way you can live in FL without air conditioning because of the heat & humidity, whereas in the DR the only place you really need a/c is in your bedroom, and them many just use fans to sleep comfortably.

B

bob saunders

^^^THIS^^^

Most tourists in the tropics are partially dehydrated and don't even know it. Intestines require water to operate properly, and without enough, well, s#!t doesn't happen.

We preach hydration, hydration, hydration on our tours. Between sun and blasting down the roads in the wind, the moisture really gets sucked out of you.

Part of acclimating to the tropics is upping your water intake, especially if you are from a cooler, less sunny climate. Sports drinks, NOT energy drinks, also work.

Caffeine, alcohol and energy drinks are the enemies in the hydration wars.

A little exercise works as well. If I feel constipated ( rarely) I go for a good walk or pump weights. Works for me.

T

TropicalPaul

Actually you are wrong. The tap water, at least in Santo Domingo, is supposedly completely drinkable. I read that the head of CAASD said this, and commented that this is the water you are given in a public hospital and in prison. So I decided to test this and bought 4 different testing kits from Amazon in the US, tested the tap water and hey presto, it came out completely clean and all kits confirmed it was drinkable. It's hard not to take in at least some tap water in any case - a lot of people wash veg in tap water, and you will take in some water when you brush your teeth. We have the same stomach as rats and dogs. Your enzyme balance will sort itself out in time and fight off the bugs and the bacteria.

R

RDKNIGHT

Actually you are wrong. The tap water, at least in Santo Domingo, is supposedly completely drinkable. I read that the head of CAASD said this, and commented that this is the water you are given in a public hospital and in prison. So I decided to test this and bought 4 different testing kits from Amazon in the US, tested the tap water and hey presto, it came out completely clean and all kits confirmed it was drinkable. It's hard not to take in at least some tap water in any case - a lot of people wash veg in tap water, and you will take in some water when you brush your teeth. We have the same stomach as rats and dogs. Your enzyme balance will sort itself out in time and fight off the bugs and the bacteria.

Thank you Doctor Paul you hit this right on the head......

B

Big

lol..Ok, So I think its safe to say your background is not in the medical/science field. "we have the same stomach as rats and dogs" "enzyme balance will sort out bacteria" lmao My fave "tested water with a kit ordered from amazon", ...wow.. now there is an advanced laboratory. FYI, Tap water on the island is unpredictable and thus "UNSAFE" any , any any health professional will tell you not to take a chance with water here, especially if you are infirm.

D

Derfish

lol..Ok, So I think its safe to say your background is not in the medical/science field. "we have the same stomach as rats and dogs" "enzyme balance will sort out bacteria" lmao My fave "tested water with a kit ordered from amazon", ...wow.. now there is an advanced laboratory. FYI, Tap water on the island is unpredictable and thus "UNSAFE" any , any any health professional will tell you not to take a chance with water here, especially if you are infirm.

Any expert huh? I had a Haitian cook who spoke Spanish in addition to her native language, but incapable of writing in any language who assured me that the water here is safe for her, but not for my delicate innards.
Derfish

W

william webster

you can pick your salad greens right off the top !!!!!!!

L

lifeisgreat

Have to love this forum...from gringo round up to constipation...

T

Tamborista

I posted important information in this thread about good digestive regularity utilizing Acidophilus prior to traveling, and a moderator decided to delete my post.

Which one of you internet cops found my post uninformative?
This was surely DR and fecal related, yet you deleted it?

You missed the typo in the title!!

T

texan

Ive met many people here who have a "problem going to the bathroom" is constipation a common problem in DR? if so does anyone know why? before you say white rice. i been here sometime and i dont eat the "typical food" but i clearly eat food produced here and brought in the super markets i seem to be falling into the same situation and im not sure why. i eat fruit, veggies, salads, meat, fish, no rice, no pasta, no sugar, no street meat or food, not fried unless at home in olive oil. I am speculating here : i feel like all the so called fresh fruits and veggies are produced with pesticides of the worst kind. maybe some not even legal in the US. I seen them spraying all lands here to kill weeds so they can grow whatever. could that be it?

does anyone know what is the typical chemical they are spraying when you see the guys walk and spray with the container on thier back?

does anyone have any in sight into this issue? my girlfriend is the same. thanks.:eek:gre::eek:gre:

I agree with a lot of water. If I have a lot of fiber in my diet such as oatmeal and beans I feel like I definitely need a lot of water. I eat oatmeal every day and beans and or lentil almost every day. I put in Chia seeds in my oatmeal everyday.

If I don't have the time to eat a salad I will use a Vitamix Blender to blend a lot of greens with some fruits. A smoothie with a lot of greens in it should help out a lot.

If you eat fried food I am not sure if you have tried an Air Fryer.