Coronavirus - In the DR

etolw

Oct 6, 2018
Quote from the International travel to DR thread, but my response belongs here

The question should be,
Does the Dominican government want to open the country to international travellers, during covid 19 pandemic?
As the US is restricting travel into the country from Canada the EU and Brazil,
Does the DR economic considerations aside, want US, EU or Brazilian travellers in country?
That the Republic can cope poorly with a major outbreak is clear.

In the last few weeks, tens of thousands of Haitian workers have returned from the Dominican Republic to their own country, many bringing the virus with them. That flow of returnees is expected to spark an outbreak that the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere will be unable to fight.

Virus testing and reporting, is dubious in the DR.
Interesting quote from your link, a major uncontrolled outbreak in Haiti could be a much larger threat than airborne infected international travellers. International travellers are subject to tests and screening protocols, but the Haiti (illegal) border crossings could be hard to control.

Dominican Health Minister Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas last week called Haiti “a major threat to the Dominican Republic from a health point of view” and promised tighter border controls.

MikeFisher

Stay at home Mike. Hide from the boogie man and take your vitamins - you will lead a long a boring life
i don't have to stay at home.
I just use my brain to adjust my out of home behaviors accordingly to the present situation.
here is no beliefes in any boogieman, thats just stuff brought up by the ones as your's

Lobo Tropical

Aug 21, 2010
Quote from the International travel to DR thread, but my response belongs here

Interesting quote from your link, a major uncontrolled outbreak in Haiti could be a much larger threat than airborne infected international travellers. International travellers are subject to tests and screening protocols, but the Haiti (illegal) border crossings could be hard to control.

Dominican Health Minister Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas last week called Haiti “a major threat to the Dominican Republic from a health point of view” and promised tighter border controls.

For those eager to travel have a look at the video.
Whereas this is in São Paulo, it can also hit you in the DR.
Don't worry about the German commentary, much of it is in Spanish.
Suddenly imposed travel restrictions by a country, can leave one stranded.
The virus and outbreaks are far from over, and can not be easily controlled.
Related also to US/ Brazil travel ban.

cavok

Jun 16, 2014
Brujos, healthy hidroxiclorine consumers and exorcists.
well,
it show's there are things more dangerous than just a pandemic out there.
You do know that the Veterans Administration uses 42,000 doses of HCQ every day, right? It's a total joke calling this drug unsafe when it has been used for almost six decades by tens of millions of people.

lifeisgreat

LIVING THE LIFE!
May 7, 2016
You do know that the Veterans Administration uses 42,000 doses of HCQ every day, right? It's a total joke calling this drug unsafe when it has been used for almost six decades by tens of millions of people.
Your forgetting the zinc must have zinc or totally useless.. or was it skittles hell I can’t remember pick one..

Reactions: Tarheel

cavok

Jun 16, 2014
Medina's State of emergeny authorization expires June 1st I think. I've heard some rumors that he wants another 25 days, He'll have to make that request tomorrow if true. The Diputados have threatened not to give him anymore.

william webster

Jan 16, 2009
Committee to Combat COVID-19 says it is necessary to extend a state of emergency

Amado Alejandro Báez, president of the Committee, stated that the strategies that have been effective must be continued

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … OJ19102590

........"The general consensus of the Committee determined that, for the coming phases, we must continue working on strategies that have been proven effective: from physical distancing to public policies, which include curfews and extension of the state of emergencies," said Báez in an address that the Presidency released tonight......

Expect the President to seek an extension of emergency powers later today based upon medical advice. And then Senate and Congress debates.

It will then be interesting to see if any politicians decide to go against medical advice and risk an increase in cases and deaths before an election should curfew be lifted and social distancing be unenforceable.

• Love
Reactions: MikeFisher

Cdn_Gringo

Apr 29, 2014
7 days into phase 1 of the DR "de-escalation" of restrictions and the numbers of infected has risen to over 15,000 from 13,??? in the last three days. The level of testing in this country is woefully inadequate to get a real sense of how quickly the infection rate is rising and how far reaching geographically those increases are.

This is going to be a critical week. If we see the infection numbers continue to rise at this or at an expanding rate as we pass the 10 day mark, we'll just have to assume that we are well on our way to a major loss of control over the spread of CV19 in the DR. In such a scenario, we could yet see the all of the effects that the S.O.E. was meant to stave off.

Watch those daily numbers and double or triple them...

lifeisgreat

LIVING THE LIFE!
May 7, 2016
7 days into phase 1 of the DR "de-escalation" of restrictions and the numbers of infected has risen to over 15,000 from 13,??? in the last three days. The level of testing in this country is woefully inadequate to get a real sense of how quickly the infection rate is rising and how far reaching geographically those increases are.

This is going to be a critical week. If we see the infection numbers continue to rise at this or at an expanding rate as we pass the 10 day mark, we'll just have to assume that we are well on our way to a major loss of control over the spread of CV19 in the DR. In such a scenario, we could yet see the all of the effects that the S.O.E. was meant to stave off.

Watch those daily numbers and double or triple them...
There lack of testing will hurt them in long run...you can open airports but if people don’t feel safe it won’t matter .. look at Mexico :(

MikeFisher

I am personally sure that he will request an other 25 days tomorrow
and of course the chambers will approve the request.
sure the 2nd chamber(opposition) will make it a political act to be against such barbaric action,
so they will cut the requested 25 days to approve 15 instead, but they will approve.
which opposition, one month before presi and congressional elections,
would want to be the ones to be blamed when numebrs rise in the 2 weeks after they denied the extention??
that would be their sudden death for the elections.
and we all know that the numbers will rise significantly, specially once all our new mingling will come into count.
I am sure he will request it for 25 days tomorrow afternoon and at the end of the line gets it approved for 2 weeks,
maybe til June 16th/17th, as June 17th the start for Phase 3 is sheduled.

Cdn_Gringo

Apr 29, 2014
Mexico is not alone, look at Brazil. The leaders of both countries are basically disease deniers. I would hope that nonessential travelers will make the effort to research a trip before they book it, but without decent reporting, such travelers may not find the meaningful information that would be useful in making a prudent decision.

I'm more concerned right now with the people currently in the country. I'm not sure how much will there is within this lame-duck govt to make waves so close to the election. I'm also not convinced that the public (me included) has an accurate understanding of just how widespread the contagion is. Since the beginning of March the picture presented by the govt has been murky at best. I have to draw my conclusion based on the proclaimed ~2000 CV tests per day countrywide and that's not much to go on. I wish I knew more detail about the high level discussions underway regarding the beginning of phase 2 which is rapidly approaching.

Cdn_Gringo

Apr 29, 2014
I am sure he will request it for 25 days tomorrow afternoon and at the end of the line gets it approved for 2 weeks,
maybe til June 16th/17th, as June 17th the start for Phase 3 is sheduled.
I would prefer a show of more leadership, predictability, stability and hopefully some resulting confidence and like to see the S.O.E. extended until the election rather than having to wonder about it every two weeks.

MikeFisher

Mexico is not alone, look at Brazil. The leaders of both countries are basically disease deniers. I would hope that nonessential travelers will make the effort to research a trip before they book it, but without decent reporting, such travelers may not find the meaningful information that would be useful in making a prudent decision.

I'm more concerned right now with the people currently in the country. I'm not sure how much will there is within this lame-duck govt to make waves so close to the election. I'm also not convinced that the public (me included) has an accurate understanding of just how widespread the contagion is. Since the beginning of March the picture presented by the govt has been murky at best. I have to draw my conclusion based on the proclaimed ~2000 CV tests per day countrywide and that's not much to go on. I wish I knew more detail about the high level discussions underway regarding the beginning of phase 2 which is rapidly approaching.
could you name a country where we have a exact picture about the spread of the virus due so many tests??
most people pass covid19 without signifcant symptoms, so in some araes of coutries very few tests may be done.
for example germany did at their peak times 350.000 tests per week, the maximum they could have done would have been 500.000 per week.
so totest the whole population would take what, 3 yers or so?
and thats a country well off with its health system, not leaking the money to pay for tests.
but the laboratories can onlybring up so many PCR Results at a time, thats where the whole testing thing gets limites.
to do a large nuber of quick tests does not bring much of such results, as many have to be done again and again.
doing more PCR is useless when you overload the laboratory testing capacities.
you would do tests and getthe rsults 10 days later, useless.
I am also calling for more tests here in DR, because we ony has some days with 2.000 tests, very most days been well belowthat, even below 1.000 per day.
but there is a limitas to how many PCR tests can be handled by the Laboratories per day, to bring resuts within a reasonable time frame.
the DR does what they can, but i guess thatthe 2.000-3.000 per day are somewhere near the limit of possibilities.

MikeFisher

I would prefer a show of more leadership, predictability, stability and hopefully some resulting confidence and like to see the S.O.E. extended until the election rather than having to wonder about it every two weeks.
a SOE is something serious and those extraordinary powers should not be given to any government for a too lengthy time at a time.
to do it in 15 days steps I see as a perefct suitable thing.
predicatbility and stability during a Unique Pandemic?
well, i don't answer that.
in case of Leadership, i don't see the DR on that point to be off worse than most other countries.