Current Taxi Rates from POP Airport

Rocko

Aug 9, 2009
POP rates...........

WOW........these rates from POP to anywhere are really high for a Caribbean Island.....these rates are nuts.....who figured how these transfer rates?

how come there aren't any transfer companies that run from POP to Sosua and vice versa........maybe I haven't found them yet?

my experience from other islands in the Caribbean when I do a transfer from the airport to the resort generally run around $20 US money per person one way shared.......and sometimes the transfer mini van/bus takes an hour and a half to get you to your resort........not ten minutes........and at $25US money that really hurts.........surprised by this.........please enlighten me. Thanks.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
the taxi union is a mafia. they will not allow competition (through political power or threats of violence or actual violence) so you are forced to use their ridiculously high rates.

ctp1812

Jan 19, 2009
Coach I never pay more then 20 dollars, the guys out front always ask for 25 dollars. But as soon as I start to walk away they agree to 20.00

And if you are careful there are always guys in the parking lot that will take less.

Rocko

Aug 9, 2009
Taxi

so I guess if I don't find somebody to share a ride with when I arrive at POP......I'll just walk out to the parking lot and try to find a Taxi for $20........a couple minute walk to save $5 sounds good to this guy.....more $ for beer.......lol

emmadunn22

Sep 26, 2009
Im coming on holiday again to the riu mambo in bahia maimon and really cant be bother with the coach transfer as i always seem to be on the last coach to leave. Anyone any idea how much a taxi will be from pop and is it possible to book in advance - my husabnd isnt keen!

em

emmadunn22

Sep 26, 2009
thanx gregg - maybe see if i cant book to the rum factory to be easier and cut out all the rubbish you get on tour operator tours!

Em

emmadunn22

Sep 26, 2009
WOW doesanyone know any other taxi transfers from pop as from pop to rui is 15.5 miles and about 20 minutes - taxi quote $55!! i thought that was a bit steep - maybe im on the bus transfer and sit it out!

Emma

emmadunn22

Sep 26, 2009
thanks rilen - that really wouldnt bother me but my other half.......!! hes brought his price down and its nwo a lot less than i was prepared to pay with a day out of the hote lwith the other half to - my husband still finds they way things are done in tte dom rep a little ammusin - personnally i love it!

emma

dowi

Dec 22, 2009
POP/Sosua current taxi rates

Reading back thru the threads the info appears to be outdated. I am travellng 29th Dec, what should I expect to pay (POP/Sosua) ?.... any contacts for decent/reliable folk who ply this trade ? (better the devil and all that). thanks

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
You should pay no more that US$25 for a taxi ride from POP airport to Sosua. As you exit the arrivals hall there's a taxi rank & plenty of willing drivers. Always agree the fee before you travel though.
Cheers
Reidy

travelingkind

Dec 16, 2008
I've flown in, been approached by every taxi driver for $30 to Cabarete, and said no thanks. In my mind, I was taking a Guagua. Some guy followed me. He kept going down and down and down. He offered $12 to Cabarete. At that point, I was hot, and took it.

Really, it depends on how willing you are to NOT take a cab and walk/motoconcho to the highway where you can pay $0.50 for a guagua or a little more for a publico, if you have a lot of stuff. That said, if you get into the parking lot (and out of the line) or at least wait for the rush to pass, I think you can always get $10 under the rate.

Keep in mind, I LIKE to take guaguas. Spending $35 on a cab on my first day of vacation amounts to shame and defeat for me. I understand that most people are not like this.

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
Are the price still the same as noted in the beginning of this thread?

The date is 2006 in the beginning of this thread, but is it still $45 from POP airport to Rio San Juan and if we take a van, (6 large lugage, 2 adult and one 4yrs old), is it the same price. Please, can someon answer my question if possible and thank you for you time.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The date is 2006 in the beginning of this thread, but is it still $45 from POP airport to Rio San Juan and if we take a van, (6 large lugage, 2 adult and one 4yrs old), is it the same price. Please, can someon answer my question if possible and thank you for you time.
The list price is around double that, $90.
I have used vans for short trips and the price was the same but I'm not sure about longer rides where fuel costs could be considerably more.

These rates below are from January 2009 but I think they were the same last September and I have not heard of any increases, like Sosua is still $25, Playa Dorada $33, Cabarete $35, as far as I know.

2e4xf86.jpg