Customs At JFK & SDQ& UBER

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I used uber back in January from hotel to American consulate 8 bucks return trip via taxi 20 bucks .Same route same destination you do the math.

Hahaha
Maybe you should done the math....
or say Cuanto before getting in.....

Always ask or you'll get a surprise is my experience

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
That is not exactly correct. The Taxi Mafia was the only game in town. Then came UBER with lower pricing that is acceptable to UBER drivers. Many people seem to like UBER. (I have zero experience with UBER and since I don't have a cell phone, I am unlikely to ever use UBER. )

The Taxi Mafia has a few choices. The TM can lower prices to compete with UBER. They can stick with higher prices and firebomb a few UBER cars to try and drive out UBER - this would be a TM traditional tactic. The TM can stick with higher prices and face extinction. Then, anyone that drives for hire would be in a system such as UBER. Competition which should benefit the consumer.

Eventually UBER will be going to self driving cars.

You don't have a cell phone [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Windy is a traditionalist.....

no cell phone.... rabbit ears on the TV and a crystal radio

Ha ha ..
Rabbit Ears with Aluminum Foil... those were the Days ..... 3 generations watching the same TV show together ..
and not arguing , and no cell phones at the Dinner table .. just conversation like " so how was your Day Dear"

I kind of miss those times ..

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I imagine that 110 years ago horse buggy riders were having a similar conversation around the cracker barrel as the Model T Ford was being mass produced and sold at an affordable price. I guess the buggy drivers, groomsmen and smithy's all got retrained as elevator operators and lamp lighters.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
It may interest some of you that in NYC, where Uber was the darling, many have shunned it recently -
moving to other services.....

Can't say why.... bad PR or whatever.....
My daughter's crowd (30 yrs old) is my reference

No offense to your daughter and/or her crowd but I would like to see some numbers to substantiate your assertion. I spent a few minutes looking but this is all I found
https://ny.curbed.com/2017/1/17/14296892/yellow-taxi-nyc-uber-lyft-via-numbers

Simple logic tells me UBER will continue to contribute to the demise of the TM. The article states how many black cars are UBER drivers in addition to their regular customers. Makes sense to me.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
No offense to your daughter and/or her crowd but I would like to see some numbers to substantiate your assertion. I spent a few minutes looking but this is all I found

Simple logic tells me UBER will continue to contribute to the demise of the TM. The article states how many black cars are UBER drivers in addition to their regular customers. Makes sense to me.

Technology will always win. Even some of the Taxi companies in the DR are providing somewhat similar service as UBER. they are not 100% there yet but it's a start. See what competition does? It works wonders because it forces you to think outside of the box.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Ok. Question. Not stirring the pot, but a realistic question in regards to Uber in the Dominican Republic. What if you utilize the Uber service to take you to a destination that does not have an internet signal? When the time comes, how do you return?

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Ok. Question. Not stirring the pot, but a realistic question in regards to Uber in the Dominican Republic. What if you utilize the Uber service to take you to a destination that does not have an internet signal? When the time comes, how do you return?

It won't work without an Internet signal. In that event, you use a motoconcho or you use a taxi for your return. I have been in that situation before both in the US and in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Just different companies... same basic premise but another company...
Gett is one of the alternaives..

Like Google Maps and Waze.........both work - but a bit differently

As I read your link now.... GETT is there , the newcomer

My son-in-law (at Wells Fargo) was the one who prompted me.
Sort of a Wall St type

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Sort of a Wall St type

I have had good experience with Lyft as well.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
It won't work without an Internet signal. In that event, you use a motoconcho or you use a taxi for your return. I have been in that situation before both in the US and in the DR.

Thank you. Now what would a 1st time visitor to the Dominican Republic do in this exact same situation?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Sort of a Wall St type

Ah, ok. I thought you were implying that they were returning to taxis.

My daughters in Florida have used Lyft and had good things to say about it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It may interest some of you that in NYC, where Uber was the darling, many have shunned it recently -
moving to other services.....

Can't say why.... bad PR or whatever.....
My daughter's crowd (30 yrs old) is my reference

In NY, it will be what is in current fashion. And, that competition is good. The CEO of Uber just resigned.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He didn't resign Windy... he got the boot.... BIG TIME

Memo read 'by the end of the day'..... from the big investors.

There actually is a boycott by some re Uber and their policies.

Not a popular group, Uber, just now
Sexual discrimination and whole laundry bag of problems

Oh - he wasn't just the CEO -- founder would be a better title..... even owner