Customs At JFK & SDQ& UBER

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Its the same 3 members here who must be invested in the same cab mafia company. The say the most ridiculous things about Uber. Its almost annoying at this point. Who needs or wants to shill for a billion dollar company? Please! We like it because it just works and it isnt a headache. Furthermore when the taxista tries to charge you 300 pesos to go around the block while Uber wants the correct price of 70 pesos; its really a nobrainer. And please stop saying that uber would be difficult for a first time visitor. Maybe for a child but its laughable to say a grown adult person will have issues or that this first time visitor will be in area without a signal(My 1st time visitor friends who speak zero spanish used uber just fine). All of the tourist zones have very strong cellular service and wifi. Stop it and make better investments! *end of rant*

Let me explain something to you. I have a very, very, good, safe, secure, protected way of getting around the entire Dominican Republic, 24/7, 365 when I want, and as I choose. Any place. Any time. This method has worked for me for over 10 years. Not just for myself, but for my friends that arrive at airports, and others in need across the Dominican Republic. Whether a friend or one of their family members needs to get to a clinica or hospital, or they want to take a trip from Monte Cristi to Punta Cana. My friends have never had a problem with the arrangements I set up for them. I could sit here and tell people every single detail of what works for me.....but I don't. Why? Because I would then have a bunch of posters telling me I'm promoting or campaigning certain things, which I am not. Oh no, oh no, not me. I also believe that DR1 requests that if you want to advertise, you do it properly by purchasing an ad or banner. I am not affiliated, nor invested in any business, especially the cab company business. Please. Stop shilling.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
@alexw:
You have 175 posts...and 170 of them end with:
"Always use Uber. It just works, its cheaper, and its reliable."
Some of us weren't born yesterday.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Let me explain something to you. I have a very, very, good, safe, secure, protected way of getting around the entire Dominican Republic, 24/7, 365 when I want, and as I choose. Any place. Any time. This method has worked for me for over 10 years. Not just for myself, but for my friends that arrive at airports, and others in need across the Dominican Republic. Whether a friend or one of their family members needs to get to a clinica or hospital, or they want to take a trip from Monte Cristi to Punta Cana. My friends have never had a problem with the arrangements I set up for them. I could sit here and tell people every single detail of what works for me.....but I don't. Why? Because I would then have a bunch of posters telling me I'm promoting or campaigning certain things, which I am not. Oh no, oh no, not me. I also believe that DR1 requests that if you want to advertise, you do it properly by purchasing an ad or banner. I am not affiliated, nor invested in any business, especially the cab company business. Please. Stop shilling.

Could you please tell us this mysterious method of travel you have for your friends and yourself? This should be very interesting

and why did you ignore my other question? i really would like a response

@alexw:
You have 175 posts...and 170 of them end with:
"Always use Uber. It just works, its cheaper, and its reliable."
Some of us weren't born yesterday.

whoa i mustve hit a bad investment nerve. Now we're just making things up. We all see through you. A positive review equals shilling in your eyes because its obvious Uber is killing your business. One solution for you sport, make better investments.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I will make a point of taking Uber out of SDQ next week, just for the hell of it. :smoke:

I will post a trip report :)

Unless things have changed recently when you log onto Uber the pickup location in on departure level. You, your kids, and all your luggage will have to take the elevator to departure level. Please don't let it be one of those days the elevator is busy or not working. Once on departure level you will wait outside in the heat 5 to 8 minutes for Uber to arrive. Keep your fingers crossed the driver doesn't show up with a Camry, propane tank in the trunk and not enough room for all your luggage. No real problem since you, the kids, and the extra pieces of luggage will be inside the vehicle.

If going to SD Centro when all is said and done you will have saved $11-$15 as compared to reserving a prepaid taxi online and being whisked away once you reach the airport exit doors.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Unless things have changed recently when you log onto Uber the pickup location in on departure level. You, your kids, and all your luggage will have to take the elevator to departure level. Please don't let it be one of those days the elevator is busy or not working. Once on departure level you will wait outside in the heat 5 to 8 minutes for Uber to arrive. Keep your fingers crossed the driver doesn't show up with a Camry, propane tank in the trunk and not enough room for all your luggage. No real problem since you, the kids, and the extra pieces of luggage will be inside the vehicle.

If going to SD Centro when all is said and done you will have saved $11-$15 as compared to reserving a prepaid taxi online and being whisked away once you reach the airport exit doors.

Look at the scare tactics this person is using. My god! You have to go upstairs...the horror. What if the elevator isnt working? Those poor children will be traumatized. You really need to stop it. My last Uber ride from the airport to the Gascue was $17usd. Why pay $30+? Big Bird really wants those extra $15 into his pocket. Dont fall for the scam.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@alexw you ever see signs at parking lots "Valet Parking". Some people don't mind paying a few extra dollars for convenience. Some go on vacation to be pampered for a week or two.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
@alexw you ever see signs at parking lots "Valet Parking". Some people don't mind paying a few extra dollars for convenience. Some go on vacation to be pampered for a week or two.

Valet parking and Uber/taxi services are like the worst comparison one could make. Im surprised the mods allow you 3 to do things yall do in here. Its really over the top and it needs to stop.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....................My last Uber ride from the airport to the Gascue was $17usd.............

Why pay that much when you could have caught the SDQ guagua to parque enriquillo and a 175 pesos Uber to your final destination. I am surprised at you alexw..............

Oct 11, 2010
Ok. Question. Not stirring the pot, but a realistic question in regards to Uber in the Dominican Republic. What if you utilize the Uber service to take you to a destination that does not have an internet signal? When the time comes, how do you return?

It won't work without an Internet signal. In that event, you use a motoconcho or you use a taxi for your return. I have been in that situation before both in the US and in the DR.

Nobody has a data plan?

You don't need an "Internet signal". As long as you have a data plan, which I believe the large majority of Dominicans with steady employment in Santo Domingo have, and I assumed most foreigners travelling to the Dominican Republic would have or at least be aware of, whether its their first time visiting or 20th time. In New York I don't know anyone who owns a cell phone who doesn't have a data plan. It's not such a novel concept.

For Dominicans (or foreigners) who can't afford or don't want a data plan, for as little as 29 PESOS you can purchase immediate access to the internet via "data packets", direct from your cell phone. All the carriers provide the service. Below is the link for Orange.

https://www.orange.com.do/web/servicios/paqueticos-orange.

If you have a cell phone signal (3G, 4G, LTE), you can have immediate access to the internet ANYWHERE in the Dominican Republic. Ask your Dominican friends about "paqueticos" or "paquetes", they'll fill you in.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Valet parking and Uber/taxi services are like the worst comparison one could make. Im surprised the mods allow you 3 to do things yall do in here. Its really over the top and it needs to stop.

Alex , just settle down a moment.. You LOVE Uber.. and thats great.. but no one is conspiring with any taxi Mafia, and definitely not against you...

I went back to some of your prev comments... and instead of DIRT , or Shilling for Uber ( which I openly admit i was looking for) , what I found instead were some very Intelligent, insightful Posts , some asking for info, some giving ... and a very heartfelt post about the Death of Brent of La Perla.... so you are obviously a DECENT Guy, no one is arguing with you cuz they dont like you, or are conspiring.. But you are obviously Upset cuz you think so..

You seem to be a TECH Savvy guy, and I know its hard for Tech Guys when they struggle to persuade others to see it the way you do.. Some of us just dont.. Its like the IPHONE Vs Galaxy Android argument... You are either in one Camp or the other ... such is Life..

So , imo Just let it go.. Uber works great for some people, and others prefer their way ..

Hope this has not tainted your view of posters here.. cuz u do have a lot to offer ..no denying that . so please dont take offense
any further ..
I just found it funny that you think we are in collusion with the Taxi Mafia.. No Offense was meant .

just my .02

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Nobody has a data plan?

You don't need an "Internet signal". As long as you have a data plan, which I believe the large majority of Dominicans with steady employment in Santo Domingo have, and I assumed most foreigners travelling to the Dominican Republic would have or at least be aware of, whether its their first time visiting or 20th time. In New York I don't know anyone who owns a cell phone who doesn't have a data plan. It's not such a novel concept.

For Dominicans (or foreigners) who can't afford or don't want a data plan, for as little as 29 PESOS you can purchase immediate access to the internet via "data packets", direct from your cell phone. All the carriers provide the service. Below is the link for Orange.

If you have a cell phone signal (3G, 4G, LTE), you can have immediate access to the internet ANYWHERE in the Dominican Republic. Ask your Dominican friends about "paqueticos" or "paquetes", they'll fill you in.

NY-DR Commuter:
You are correct to an extent, but the information is not for me. I have a data plan. I have had several different ones with different carriers over the years, but again, it's not about me. If you are an active reader on the threads, you yourself see how many times posters ask questions about such service. So, there are many people who do not know, and that is just here on DR1. Ever stand in the arrival area in front of one of the airports and see how many new arrivals seem completely lost? I have. Every single time. There are some people who operate like this. Book a trip with minimal information. I am not one of those people. My method/choice of transportation is always ready and waiting for me. Now, for some who would ask, why would I be standing in the arrival area if my transportation was waiting for me? (It's inevitable).........I used to be a cigarette smoker. After a flight, as any smoker or ex-smoker would know, the first thing you want after a flight is a cigarette. Now, being an ex-smoker, I prefer to stretch my legs out for a few minutes on the concourse before stepping into my waiting vehicle. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Oct 11, 2010
NY-DR Commuter:
You are correct to an extent, but the information is not for me. I have a data plan. I have had several different ones with different carriers over the years, but again, it's not about me. If you are an active reader on the threads, you yourself see how many times posters ask questions about such service. So, there are many people who do not know, and that is just here on DR1. Ever stand in the arrival area in front of one of the airports and see how many new arrivals seem completely lost? I have. Every single time. There are some people who operate like this. Book a trip with minimal information. I am not one of those people. My method/choice of transportation is always ready and waiting for me. Now, for some who would ask, why would I be standing in the arrival area if my transportation was waiting for me? (It's inevitable).........I used to be a cigarette smoker. After a flight, as any smoker or ex-smoker would know, the first thing you want after a flight is a cigarette. Now, being an ex-smoker, I prefer to stretch my legs out for a few minutes on the concourse before stepping into my waiting vehicle. Nothing more. Nothing less.

sanpedrogringo:

You posted a question, specifically these two questions:

. . . What if you utilize the Uber service to take you to a destination that does not have an internet signal? When the time comes, how do you return?

Another poster answered you with the following reply: (bold added for emphasis)

It won't work without an Internet signal. In that event, you use a motoconcho or you use a taxi for your return. I have been in that situation before both in the US and in the DR.

"cbmitch9's" reply to you was not exactly accurate.

So, I replied that a data plan or simply purchasing a data packet right from your own cell phone (I even provided the link to Orange) would easily solve the problem. That an "Internet signal" WAS NOT necessary to utilize the Uber service and that it was very easily accessible from anywhere that had a cell phone signal. Nobody would be forced to ride on the back of a motoconcho or call a taxi for their "return" just because they didn't have an "Internet signal". Uber's services would be just as readily and easily available.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Actually, the Uber drivers have now won. They've finally got me to begin paying attention to a topic I really had 0 interest in before. Now, I'm paying attention.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
no problems at either point of entry in both countries treated with respect and saw nothing new ...... and also used uber for my traveling no problems also my friends who are dominican are also using uber and loving it.

Why would there be going to the DR?

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Nobody has a data plan?

You do make some valid points of which I am fully aware. My assumptions were that if I took an Uber to somewhere where I have no signal (I assumed "No Internet" as no signal), then the app would not work.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I only use Uber in the capital if you like to save money and be safe
It's works for me....

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Technology will always win. Even some of the Taxi companies in the DR are providing somewhat similar service as UBER. they are not 100% there yet but it's a start. See what competition does? It works wonders because it forces you to think outside of the box.

Exactly, Apollo has an app now. lots of the drivers are using Whatsapp so you can contact them and they can give you a price.