Customs At JFK & SDQ& UBER

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Given the 'today' ultimatum....he fiddled until 11:30 pm to actually acquiesce ....

THose boys can be arrogant when they read/believe their own advertising

Oct 11, 2010
It may interest some of you that in NYC, where Uber was the darling, many have shunned it recently -
moving to other services.....

Can't say why.... bad PR or whatever.....
My daughter's crowd (30 yrs old) is my reference

One word . . .

Competition.

Uber, Lyft, Via, Juno, Gett, Pool, Bandwagon.

All available . . . at least in Manhattan . . . more coming . . .

Each has it's advantages . . . disadvantages . . .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
He didn't resign Windy... he got the boot.... BIG TIME

Memo read 'by the end of the day'..... from the big investors.

There actually is a boycott by some re Uber and their policies.

Not a popular group, Uber, just now
Sexual discrimination and whole laundry bag of problems

Oh - he wasn't just the CEO -- founder would be a better title..... even owner

So the NY Times has fake news?

Inside Travis Kalanick’s Resignation as Uber’s C.E.O.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/technology/uber-travis-kalanick-final-hours.html

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes Windy ,. he resigned.

He was ordered to resign....

Not quite like some other jobs where as part of the hiring process. you sign a resignation letter.

These guys are never 'fired' per se.... they resign... voluntarily or involuntarily

Read my link... the two 'Messengers' sat with him until he did it.
A loaded gun was handed to him

Designed to 'save face' just the way you are presenting it.... Kosher

I don't read it that way

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
My only two points are that I would not recommend Uber for first time visitors to the DR, and that I wish the Uber drivers would stop spamming this site with their bogus claims. Takes away from real experiences with the service. Hey, it may be a great service, but with these low budget attempts to get noticed, it looks low budget. How many people here join other online forums, and their first postings are praising the services and benefits of using Uber? It's like watching a ballgame and seeing the same commercial every break. It gets tired after a while. It's just as bad as the guys that come on here selling their special price IPhones, with only 100 in stock. Nothing more, nothing less.
.... please tell me who are the members on DR1 that spam for uber, ...you know the ones that on their first post sell you uber?......Doc......

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
.... please tell me who are the members on DR1 that spam for uber, ...you know the ones that on their first post sell you uber?......Doc......

Every single one who starts a first post by praising the efforts of Uber. You made a reference to it earlier and I didn't touch upon on it because it was not meant towards you, but I guess you may have interpreted it that way. You have close to 500 posts, so you're a member with history here. If you give praise to Uber so be it, but it's not every single posting. You participate within other threads without screaming out.....Uber! My reference was made to point out types such as Joe from Wisconsin who in his very first DR1 posting mentions Uber 600 times. There have been many of those. Seems like an ongoing barrage of commercials, and does weaken the legitimacy of the product among some. I'm not the only person to have noticed, that's why I compared it to the "I have a limited amount of 200 Iphones right now", or "Hello, I'm from Easter Island and interested in relocating to the DR."

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Every single one who starts a first post by praising the efforts of Uber. You made a reference to it earlier and I didn't touch upon on it because it was not meant towards you, but I guess you may have interpreted it that way. You have close to 500 posts, so you're a member with history here. If you give praise to Uber so be it, but it's not every single posting. You participate within other threads without screaming out.....Uber! My reference was made to point out types such as Joe from Wisconsin who in his very first DR1 posting mentions Uber 600 times. There have been many of those. Seems like an ongoing barrage of commercials, and does weaken the legitimacy of the product among some. I'm not the only person to have noticed, that's why I compared it to the "I have a limited amount of 200 Iphones right now", or "Hello, I'm from Easter Island and interested in relocating to the DR."

...Sanpedro... every thing is good, nothing aimed at you or anyone else here......Doc.....

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Its the same 3 members here who must be invested in the same cab mafia company. The say the most ridiculous things about Uber. Its almost annoying at this point. Who needs or wants to shill for a billion dollar company? Please! We like it because it just works and it isnt a headache. Furthermore when the taxista tries to charge you 300 pesos to go around the block while Uber wants the correct price of 70 pesos; its really a nobrainer. And please stop saying that uber would be difficult for a first time visitor. Maybe for a child but its laughable to say a grown adult person will have issues or that this first time visitor will be in area without a signal(My 1st time visitor friends who speak zero spanish used uber just fine). All of the tourist zones have very strong cellular service and wifi. Stop it and make better investments! *end of rant*

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
70 Pesos for a TAXI Ride ? Really ?
As in a CAR with 4 wheels, and 4 doors... and YOU are the only passenger , no sharing with strangers ?

I guess UBER is going to put the PUBLICO's out of business as well then..

You guys are on to something bigger than you think, i guess.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Its the same 3 members here who must be invested in the same cab mafia company. The say the most ridiculous things about Uber. Its almost annoying at this point. Who needs or wants to shill for a billion dollar company? Please! We like it because it just works and it isnt a headache. Furthermore when the taxista tries to charge you 300 pesos to go around the block while Uber wants the correct price of 70 pesos; its really a nobrainer. And please stop saying that uber would be difficult for a first time visitor. Maybe for a child but its laughable to say a grown adult person will have issues or that this first time visitor will be in area without a signal(My 1st time visitor friends who speak zero spanish used uber just fine). All of the tourist zones have very strong cellular service and wifi. Stop it and make better investments! *end of rant*

I will make a point of taking Uber out of SDQ next week, just for the hell of it. :smoke:

I will post a trip report :)

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
70 Pesos for a TAXI Ride ? Really ?
As in a CAR with 4 wheels, and 4 doors... and YOU are the only passenger , no sharing with strangers ?

I guess UBER is going to put the PUBLICO's out of business as well then..

You guys are on to something bigger than you think, i guess.

Yes it is especially when that scumbag youre in cahoots with is telling us 250 pesos to go the same distance in a brokedown 1994 Toyota Corolla. Whoooa technology really is amazing!!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Its the same 3 members here who must be invested in the same cab mafia company. The say the most ridiculous things about Uber. Its almost annoying at this point..........................

Here you go again. Show me where these 3 members have said ridiculous things about Uber. Go to the original Uber comes to Santo Domingo thread and see who supported Uber starting a year and a half ago.

These 3 members think for a first time visitor it is wiser to pay the few extra dollars to take the yellow shirt cab and be whisked away as soon as you leave the airport. There are a few old time visitors who rather pay the few bucks more to not deal with going upstairs and doing the Uber thing.

Get your facts straight buddy.......................

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

My concerns regarding Uber are publicly stated here. Nothing to hide. There is seriously nothing more or less to it. Were you this worked up when people that had CD collections were hesitant to make the switch to digital music? It may be a great service, but when you have people that are constantly shilling for it, or willing to fight for the death over their Uber app, and the hesitance of others to participate in using it.....it becomes a bit bizarre. Can't you just be happy using it for yourself? Why the need to push it upon everybody else?

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Here you go again. Show me where these 3 members have said ridiculous things about Uber. Go to the original Uber comes to Santo Domingo thread and see who supported Uber starting a year and a half ago.

These 3 members think for a first time visitor it is wiser to pay the few extra dollars to take the yellow shirt cab and be whisked away as soon as you leave the airport. There are a few old time visitors who rather pay the few bucks more to not deal with going upstairs and doing the Uber thing.

Get your facts straight buddy.......................

Look those 3 always reveal themselves so easily. Just for those who dont know I tried the yellow service company and the guy reserved to me didnt show. Always use Uber. It just works, its cheaper, and its reliable.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So wait, now 3 of us are affiliates of the Taxi Mafia ?

LMAO

I love this Site .. i learn so much about myself ...

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
My concerns regarding Uber are publicly stated here. Nothing to hide. There is seriously nothing more or less to it. Were you this worked up when people that had CD collections were hesitant to make the switch to digital music? It may be a great service, but when you have people that are constantly shilling for it, or willing to fight for the death over their Uber app, and the hesitance of others to participate in using it.....it becomes a bit bizarre. Can't you just be happy using it for yourself? Why the need to push it upon everybody else?

Why are you disliking every post that gives Uber a positive review? Youve done that since the service began. Dont you think thats a little weird. Thats a little more than oh im just looking out for the first time traveler.