Customs At JFK & SDQ& UBER

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Amazing! you guys have given sainthood to D.R. cab drivers.
I would never say that they are all bad, and during my years here when without my own vehicle used taxis on a DAILY basis to and from the office. I did this for several years in the capitol. Yea, I met some really decent guys but the MAJORITY of them, once they heard my gringo accent tried to up the price. This was so normal I started telling them upon entering their cab that I TRAVEL THIS ROUTE EVERY DAY so that they might not do something stupid which resulting in me insisting that they "call dispatch".
I don't know of a les scrupulous bunch of characters (I'm sure many of you can think of a few). I for one think they are sewing what they reaped. (F.Y.I. the Uber drivers are also Dominicans so maybe outside the sindico but still Dominicans).
Is it a union mentality that makes some of you anti Uber? You see them as scabs?
A friend of mine owned a cab company in the capitol always hovering around 100 cars. He told me after the fact that the reason he sold it was because he got a bleeding ulcer because of dealing with the drivers day in and day out.
Uber, clean cars, polite drivers, GPS tracking and you know what you are going to pay up front. and NO I am not an Uber driver or stock holder just a happy customer. ....my 15 cents

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
My only two points are that I would not recommend Uber for first time visitors to the DR, and that I wish the Uber drivers would stop spamming this site with their bogus claims. Takes away from real experiences with the service. Hey, it may be a great service, but with these low budget attempts to get noticed, it looks low budget. How many people here join other online forums, and their first postings are praising the services and benefits of using Uber? It's like watching a ballgame and seeing the same commercial every break. It gets tired after a while. It's just as bad as the guys that come on here selling their special price IPhones, with only 100 in stock. Nothing more, nothing less.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...spammer? first time user?.....Like I have said before, the uber drivers are constantly busy... they are not the old style taxi driver, sit in the shade, talk to your friends.. take a nap...wait all day for one or two customers to overcharge.....I use uber almost every day, never a problem....never more than 2 to 3 minute wait... the old taxi is a out dated business model, and is being replaced by a much more effective one...thats all......Doc......

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
Amazing! you guys have given sainthood to D.R. cab drivers.
I would never say that they are all bad, and during my years here when without my own vehicle used taxis on a DAILY basis to and from the office. I did this for several years in the capitol. Yea, I met some really decent guys but the MAJORITY of them, once they heard my gringo accent tried to up the price. This was so normal I started telling them upon entering their cab that I TRAVEL THIS ROUTE EVERY DAY so that they might not do something stupid which resulting in me insisting that they "call dispatch".
I don't know of a les scrupulous bunch of characters (I'm sure many of you can think of a few). I for one think they are sewing what they reaped. (F.Y.I. the Uber drivers are also Dominicans so maybe outside the sindico but still Dominicans).
Is it a union mentality that makes some of you anti Uber? You see them as scabs?
A friend of mine owned a cab company in the capitol always hovering around 100 cars. He told me after the fact that the reason he sold it was because he got a bleeding ulcer because of dealing with the drivers day in and day out.
Uber, clean cars, polite drivers, GPS tracking and you know what you are going to pay up front. and NO I am not an Uber driver or stock holder just a happy customer. ....my 15 cents

Best response yet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lemme understand this ..

Third world people , living hand to mouth.. .Are USED to a certain stream of REVENUE ( ie. easy money from Gringos). that Taxi guy just like a PUTA is probably supporting a whole extended Family...

Now A company comes along ( invasive outsider) ... and is going to persuade them that 50% of the revenue you got before is ENOUGH .. take it or leave it .

and they just gonna be FINE with that ...?
thats the "business model" we are talking here ?

Really ?

I think i got a better chance of telling my Waste Management Carting Company here in NJ that
"$900 for a 40 yard, is TOO fu**ing much.
Think Imma pay you $350 .. take it or leave it Vinny... and dont you give me none of your Lip."

I See how that flies first ...

That is not exactly correct. The Taxi Mafia was the only game in town. Then came UBER with lower pricing that is acceptable to UBER drivers. Many people seem to like UBER. (I have zero experience with UBER and since I don't have a cell phone, I am unlikely to ever use UBER. )

The Taxi Mafia has a few choices. The TM can lower prices to compete with UBER. They can stick with higher prices and firebomb a few UBER cars to try and drive out UBER - this would be a TM traditional tactic. The TM can stick with higher prices and face extinction. Then, anyone that drives for hire would be in a system such as UBER. Competition which should benefit the consumer.

Eventually UBER will be going to self driving cars.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Not a First Timer and Uber is excellent

Excellent for some simple reasons:

1. Not trying to explain somebody, who most probably can not read and write, where to pick you up and where to bring me.
2. Cars need to have minimum requirements, mine are always clean and drivers are friendly
3. No arguments about the fare because I'm a gringo, don't even need to take my wallet with me.

These points alone make a huge difference, since Uber I don't even drive myself in SDQ, no more hassle finding parking, stressed out with other educated drivers and I won't make it with my car to the destination for US$ 2.80

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What happens to the TM and its affiliated drivers is pretty much up to them. A good first step would be to install meters in their cars and charge standard rates based on distance and time, not whatever they think they can ply from your pocket at the time. Of course there are pluses and minus to any system but in the end customers like to know how much stuff really costs and repeat customers prefer consistency. It's not a great way to start a vacation feeling that you are being gouged and screwed because you are tired, not familiar with the landscape and don't speak Spanish. For those that live here, starting any journey with a negotiation is just an added headache which is why many living here latch onto a couple of drivers and use them exclusively - better pricing and the relationship negates the aggravation of haggling.

Uber is a better system at the moment, because you know how much before the car even arrives, the car is guaranteed to be in decent shape and clean, the driver knows where you are going so if you can't communicate, no big deal, and you can track the arrival of your car just like you can your pizza delivery.

The TM can certainly support online bookings, pricing, tracking and driver/vehicle reviews if they chose to compete with Uber but they like things just they way they are and that approach all but guarantees that their industry will flounder in the face of more customer friendly and supportive options as they present themselves in the future. As far as I am concerned, I don't really care if current TM drivers operate as Uber cars as well. Under the Uber system, too many negative reviews and that driver won't get anymore fares from Uber.

Clean, safe, easy and fairly priced, that's all the consumer wants and they will increasingly choose the transportation option that meets the most of these criteria.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
My only connection is with Uber is as a customer.  Compared to conventional taxis, Uber is cheaper(sometimes 1/2), cleaner, reliable, show up quickly, easy to track and provides a way to rate the drivers.  Will never use a conventional taxi again.  I would recommend it to first time visitors also.

Jan 7, 2016
Uber will NEVER have self-driving cars in the D.R. First off, you have to have readable lines on the roads for self-driving cars to function and that's never gonna occur here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It may interest some of you that in NYC, where Uber was the darling, many have shunned it recently -
moving to other services.....

Can't say why.... bad PR or whatever.....
My daughter's crowd (30 yrs old) is my reference

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
In my experience (in several countries), Uber always cut prices when they first hit a market. Then, after a while, they tend to be just a little lower or the same as regular taxis.

The convenience factor, however, is what make them worthwhile such as knowing when the car is coming, not having to carry cash, knowing the price in advance, and, most of all, not having with taxis to deal with drive who decide if where you are going is convenient to them (for some reasons I always stop the one at the end of their shifts who are not going in my direction !)

Sometimes their surge pricing are just ridiculous, but other than that, Love Uber and the likes.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It may interest some of you that in NYC, where Uber was the darling, many have shunned it recently -
moving to other services.....

Can't say why.... bad PR or whatever.....
My daughter's crowd (30 yrs old) is my reference

Bad PR (#deleteuber) and other companies started charging less.

Many went back to Uber discreetly because they have more drivers.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
With the passage of time comes innovation. This leads to competition which leads to further innovation. Uber will adapt to new players or it too will decline in popularity. Large markets will see the benefits of innovation first. Here in the DR it will take much longer for new service offerings to arrive. Until then, in some cities we have a choice, a traditional taxi, Uber or a friend, Three options is better than just two options.

I am left hoping that Uber expands to my neck of the woods soon.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
I used uber back in January from hotel to American consulate 8 bucks return trip via taxi 20 bucks .Same route same destination you do the math.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Haha ,
when a Chica is hustling a Dude for $150, for one hour of fun, its AOK... " go make your money girl , see me later"
Right ?

but when a MAN is driving you safely from point a to point b, and is trying to make a living for his Family
,, he is all of a sudden a BAD GUY?

All Airports have this Hustle, its a way of life.. Its their Culture ..

they try for a certain price.. if you speak 20 words of Spanish ,and u know the REAL PRICE , and are carrying Pesos, not jusst $20's $50's and $100's , you WONT have to pay that SUCKER price .. its really that simple.
And if you cant and dont ... you should GET FLEECED, you deserve it ... til you smarten up..

and If you have a Business card in your pocket with a Taxi co you used before and know, you certainly wont have to pay the SUCKER price..
its that simple..

who the F needs UBER ? to "Negotiate" a Better Price ?

Maybe those who no longer have time dealing with people who constantly RIP them off. And this SAFE point A to B commute you mention is typically done in a multi-colored taxi with squealing brakes and parts ready to fall of the undercarriage- and get this, some with no A/C. This is sounding a little like the pleas from the head of the PUTA association, who was complaining Venezuelan girls are taking their biz because they are prettier, straight hair, and give a much better service at a lower price.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Maybe those who no longer have time dealing with people who constantly RIP them off. And this SAFE point A to B commute you mention is typically done in a multi-colored taxi with squealing brakes and parts ready to fall of the undercarriage- and get this, some with no A/C. This is sounding a little like the pleas from the head of the PUTA association, who was complaining Venezuelan girls are taking their biz because they are prettier, straight hair, and give a much better service at a lower price.

Im only a visitor but i have the business cards of 3 Reputable Taxi Companies in my wallet, and i know exactly what the price is going to be before I even call. and its a FAIR price .. like 600 pesos from STI to Metro... why would I need Uber in such a scenario ? Have not been in one of those falling apart cars you describe in a LONG time .. If the AC is not working to perfection, i would not even step in , never mind getting into an Old beater ..
Only a sucker would do that .
Uber in the long term will NOT give you lower prices , they may in the end even work with the TM to keep prices elevated.
And self Driving cars in the DR ?( no offense to the poster) , you must be joking ..
This is pure Fantasy.
And I know i have only been looking at it from AIRPORT Run Scanarios .. because those are the most Profitable.. especially driving IN, and then back out .. no "deadheading" .. very good for taxis..
And UBER May be helpful in making it more FAIR to each driver , so they dont have to stack up in the QUEUE waiting .
One thing Uber WILL accomplish perhaps , is to completely phase out the OLDER Cars .. but that is already happening on its own. Uber will just finish the job.. But I thought the Topic was PRICING ?

Now, if you Expats are thinking instead of 200 peso fares in and around town, you are going to get 100 peso pricing... well , maybe but i highly doubt it ..btw in Santiago they dont rip Tourists off, why ? because there are LESS Tourists .. you can get into a legit cab for 150.... so you gonna tell me that man who works all day, is now gonna take 75 pesos ?.. at some point the math just does not work any more...

Last edited: