Device to Slow Electric Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I wonder if it's something as simple as this:

[video=youtube;Ck_MwRcqSCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_MwRcqSCs[/video]

Might it be more effective with the types of lower quality motored appliance we get here? In the states, most appliances are now "energy star" with sophistocated motors...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The thread is about stealing electricity. It is not correct. You can flip your gas meter around and receive natural gas while reversing the numbers too but you still shouldn't be doing it! I can only imagine how rampant that would be in the DR if homes needed heat.

the thread is about a DEVICE to steal electricity. the puzzlement of the posters like cobraboy and myself is in trying to figure out where in the circuit it would go, and how it would work. look at the title of the thread.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I will post whatever title I want.

I was crystal clear as to my intention in the OP.

YOU have chosen to parse meanings to words the way you want to, not the way I intended. They are not my words. You put them in my mouth, something I'm not particularly fond of as others will tell you.

You have chosen to be intentionally obtuse.

Based on your posts and behavior, I conclude your prodigious bag overflows with considerable douche...

We better now, Boo? :classic:

ease off, cobraboy. it is obvious that this is just one more malcontent looking to pick a fight. no point testing the patience of the mods for these types

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
the thread is about a DEVICE to steal electricity. the puzzlement of the posters like cobraboy and myself is in trying to figure out where in the circuit it would go, and how it would work. look at the title of the thread.
Actually it was about a device to SLOW electric meters. Slow. Not steal. I assume one can slow without stealing through some technology.

Or not.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Actually it was about a device to SLOW electric meters. Slow. Not steal. I assume one can slow without stealing through some technology.

Or not.

yes, cobraboy, but if you can contemporaneously consume a certain amount of electricity, and successfully slow the meter to show less than actual consumption, you are actually stealing electricity, from an academically sound standpoint.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
JoseArbalceta, i am still awaiting your explanation of this "bridge" that you referenced to in your posting. do i take your silence to mean that this matter is way over your head, and that you finally realize it? a fleeting sabelotodo moment, perhaps?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
yes, cobraboy, but if you can contemporaneously consume a certain amount of electricity, and successfully slow the meter to show less than actual consumption, you are actually stealing electricity, from an academically sound standpoint.
If the SAME amount of power is consumed then one can argue theft. My curiosity isn't on a device that bypasses the legal electric delivery system, it's more about internal efficiencies.

"How?" Not "I want to screw one of the Ede's."

I mainly want to understand the "how."

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What a crock of poo!
In your own words, in one of your posts, you use the word "STEAL"
Go ahead, scroll back, then you can call me more names, if it makes you feel better.
It's alright, I am thick skinned.
Link to my post where I said my intent was to bypass the "system."

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If the SAME amount of power is consumed then one can argue theft. My curiosity isn't on a device that bypasses the legal electric delivery system, it's more about internal efficiencies.

"How?" Not "I want to screw one of the Ede's."

I mainly want to understand the "how."

do i take this to mean that you are thinking in terms of a bigger bang for your buck by eliminating the useless spikes?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What a crock of poo!
In your own words, in one of your posts, you use the word "STEAL"
Go ahead, scroll back, then you can call me more names, if it makes you feel better.
It's alright, I am thick skinned.
Let me help ypu out, bro, since I think you're confused...or just have reading comprehension issues.

My posts to the point you said I wanted to "steal" power:

CB said:
There has been a local buzz in this area about some guys who attach a gizmo to the power cable coming in to your breaker box that supposedly reduced the power consumption as measured on the meter-what your bill will be-by 10-30% without affecting any appliances or other electrical items. This supposedly is more effective for inductive items (pumps, a/c, fridge, cf bulbs, etc.)

Cost installed is roughly RD$3000 MOL.

I'm no electrical genius, but understand the basic principles. As explained to me, it has to do with spikes, dirty current and capacitance/resistance...or something. Ever try to discuss technical subjects with a "regular" Dominican...not an engineer?

Anyone else hear of such things? I'm not interested, being basically a skeptic of things that set off my BS & Scam meters...just curious.
CB said:
It's done at the panel, not the meter, so I don't know how one would be busted, and for what. I assume one can do what they wish with the power after the meter since you're paying for it.

I'm not interested, just curious about if/how they work.
CB said:
As best as I can understand it, the "system" is capacitors of something like 50u that are supposed to smooth out the voltage spikes, the upper spikes being power you pay for but not use.

I do know that the power in the DR is extremely inconsistent constantly spiking. The "quailty" of power here is very poor compared to the states.
CB said:
Beats me. I have no idea, not my area of solid knowledge.

I just know there is a buzz about it around here.
CB said:
Isn't the ac frequency here 60hz?
CB said:
No argument from me. The science doesn't add up.

But then again if it's just junk, why would the power companies consider it to be a serious fraud and theft of electricity?

afinidad el?ctrica

How can one "slow the meter"? What kind of device can be added after the meter that slows the reading? How can one consume more kw that the meter shows that results in a bill?
CB said:
I agree.

But maybe the electric companies disagree. However, I don't know specifically what devices they refer to...

EDE Este trabaja para enfrentar nueva modalidad de fraude - Hoy Digital
CB said:
I stated in the beginning I have no intention of doing this.

I'm just curios the technology behind it, how it works. How can you slow a meter down past the meter without getting anywhere near the meter?

You'll be hard presses to find any intent on my part to do anything illegal, although I DID ask how any device placed after the meter could possibly be construed as fraud, UNLESS it can be shown to somehow alter the meter's readings and show less consumption than actually occuers. THAT would be illegal and certainly I have to much to lose to engage in that behavior.

Your apology is accepted in advance since you clearly, and without malice or forethought, got me confused with someone else.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Tell me again, what's the meaning of "Tonto" in Spanish?

17xoow.jpg

"R"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If anyone has any more definitive information about this contraption, message me and I will reopen or start a new thread.

This one has gone haywire.

Status
Not open for further replies.