Dominican Foods

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Love 5&6.

#3 surprised me too. #17 I’ve come across frequently, yuck, sickeningly sweet. Mr AE loves them.
Ya gotta try pasta de Guayaba with Queso de hoja. Super good!!

Attachments

• 1666891874855.png
    1666891874855.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: AlterEgo

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Domplines taste like partially cooked, even raw, gelatinous dough and I pass every time.

Yanikeke and Morir Soñando in moderation because they’re delicious but also not overly healthy.

The rest, give or take.

Reactions: Gadfly

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I don't like chivo unless it is "sin hueso" Too much work and the sinew is nasty.

I've had great chivo (boneless) at a restaurant on Puerto Plata malecon. Can't remember the name but is on the ocean side

And just last week had chivo curry at Stevens in Sosua. Sounds unusual but was actually very good

Reactions: JD Jones

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Sometimes hard to find in Samana, but I love the Coconetes, and the empanadas made with Yucca. It is really hit or miss because everyone makes them different. Some are excellent, some are kind of dry and bland. I usually buy one to try, and then depending on how they taste, I either pull ahead or buy 10 more to share. Or not share.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sometimes hard to find in Samana, but I love the Coconetes, and the empanadas made with Yucca. It is really hit or miss because everyone makes them different. Some are excellent, some are kind of dry and bland. I usually buy one to try, and then depending on how they taste, I either pull ahead or buy 10 more to share. Or not share.
100% agree. When they're good, I could eat a dozen.

I have a neighbor who makes yucca pasteles. I buy those by the dozen.

Reactions: reilleyp

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Coconetes and Masitas are everywhere in our area (Playa Najayo in San Cristobal). They’re huge and one fills you like a meal. Yuca empanadas are popular too, always available at Playa Palenque, and there are ladies who make and sell the dough discs near the Mercado in SC. Also my favorite 😍

Reactions: reilleyp

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't like chivo unless it is "sin hueso" Too much work and the sinew is nasty.

I've had great chivo (boneless) at a restaurant on Puerto Plata malecon. Can't remember the name but is on the ocean side

And just last week had chivo curry at Stevens in Sosua. Sounds unusual but was actually very good
For my guisado , I bone it and season it as I like....Yes, curry sometimes.

I do the meat first for a while then a day or two later finish it off by adding the veggies for the final cook

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
For my guisado , I bone it and season it as I like....Yes, curry sometimes.

I do the meat first for a while then a day or two later finish it off by adding the veggies for the final cook
Goat should be thoroughly cleaned with brewed coffee that has cooled to room temp, then soaked in red wine and your choice of seasoning for 24 hours. Good to see your spanish is improving, but it's confusing when you say guisado - does that imply meat cooked at blast furnace temperatures on the stove until it's unidentifiable by smell, taste or form? Maybe you meant to say you braise the goat.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Goat should be thoroughly cleaned with brewed coffee that has cooled to room temp, then soaked in red wine and your choice of seasoning for 24 hours. Good to see your spanish is improving, but it's confusing when you say guisado - does that imply meat cooked at blast furnace temperatures on the stove until it's unidentifiable by smell, taste or form? Maybe you meant to say you braise the goat.

Brewed coffee???? That’s a new one for me.

There’s a butcher shop near us in NJ (Turkish owned) and they carry goat. Last week it was on sale for $4.99/pound, unheard of here. Normally double that. We went and bought 2 legs, they cut it into chunks for us. (I vacuum packed it for the freezer when we got home). I make it like my suegra did, starting with browning it in carmelized sugar, but I’ll give your coffee a try.

When it comes out soft and fork tender, my brother-in-law says it’s “Chiva” 😋

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Brewed coffee???? That’s a new one for me.

There’s a butcher shop near us in NJ (Turkish owned) and they carry goat. Last week it was on sale for $4.99/pound, unheard of here. Normally double that. We went and bought 2 legs, they cut it into chunks for us. (I vacuum packed it for the freezer when we got home). I make it like my suegra did, starting with browning it in carmelized sugar, but I’ll give your coffee a try.

When it comes out soft and fork tender, my brother-in-law says it’s “Chiva” 😋
room temp , not hot. Yes, it's an old hunter's trick. It works on very "gamey" meats. My Cuban college roommate's mother would do that for the deer meat. it clicked years later when my Dominican neighbor made some goat for new year's. She said she washed it in coffee first.

Reactions: Auryn

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
room temp , not hot. Yes, it's an old hunter's trick. It works on very "gamey" meats. My Cuban college roommate's mother would do that for the deer meat. it clicked years later when my Dominican neighbor made some goat for new year's. She said she washed it in coffee first.

Aha. 💡 I’ll have to remember that if Mr AE comes home with a deer. I’m not a fan of venison.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Domplines taste like partially cooked, even raw, gelatinous dough and I pass every time.
Yes, I avoid domplines like the plague. Don’t like em. Raw gelatinous dough (funny). Or eating coagulating mud. Domplines is Dominican spanish word for dumplings I believe

Reactions: Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Yes, I avoid domplines like the plague. Don’t like em. Raw gelatinous dough (funny). Or eating coagulating mud. Domplines is Dominican spanish word for dumplings I believe
Domplines- Dumplings
Yanikeke- Johnny Cakes

One Dominican food I love that isn’t mentioned is Quipe, which is originally Lebanese Kibbeh.

Reactions: bob saunders

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Quipe with hot sauce....hmmmm.
Speaking of hot sauce. Where can one find a super hot sauce in Puerto Plata/Sosua area. I know you are not in that area Bob, it's more of a general question for others. Super hot (hotter than ghost) is something I could never seem to find.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Speaking of hot sauce. Where can one find a super hot sauce in Puerto Plata/Sosua area. I know you are not in that area Bob, it's more of a general question for others. Super hot (hotter than ghost) is something I could never seem to find.
Playero has one called "Pasion por el Fuego" It is salsa picante Papaya and Habanero. I like it and it's not just vinegary hot sauce like so many.
Tasty and flavorful although not Super hot though.

Off topic a little - the hottest sauce I have found recently I actually discovered in Dollarama stores in Canada. Everyone who has tried it says it is seriously hot. It is labelled Habanero Pepper Sausce. And it is $1 CAD for a 5.5 oz bottle. So if you are in Canada or have friends coming here - ask them to throw a few in their luggage. It's worth trying.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Playero has one called "Pasion por el Fuego" It is salsa picante Papaya and Habanero. I like it and it's not just vinegary hot sauce like so many.
Tasty and flavorful although not Super hot though.

Off topic a little - the hottest sauce I have found recently I actually discovered in Dollarama stores in Canada. Everyone who has tried it says it is seriously hot. It is labelled Habanero Pepper Sausce. And it is $1 CAD for a 5.5 oz bottle. So if you are in Canada or have friends coming here - ask them to throw a few in their luggage. It's worth trying.

I've bought it at Ole here in Boca Chica. This may sound weird, but I mix it with Siracha sauce for my weekly excursions to pica pollo. I despise catsoup.

Reactions: bob saunders