Dominican Foods

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
That I know of, Jamaican has the chicken whatever, don't know any other great plate on their menu. Do not know anything about Trinidad culinary specialties and for Gods sake, Puerto Rico and DR has the same food and menu!

Shirley you jest!! If you've never had a steaming bowl of goathead soup, you ain't et (I pick out the teeth). You should get out more, man.

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
The truth is that the dominican kitchen is kind of poor, in the sense of variety, is not bad, but is not as rich as others, maybe because is a small country so they have their limits, I don't know...

I've had Dominican food here in the US and when I went to Santo Domingo in Dec. 2015 and I think their gastronomy excels by the fact that it's very much so typical Spanish Caribbean food. It's like they've added their unique toquecitos to Spanish Caribbean food more so than other countries in the region, with the close exception of maybe Puerto Rico. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, I know where you are talking about. My wife's aunt cook the best goat stew in the world.

there is some serious chivo guisado coming out of La Linea..from Laguna Salada and other points towards Manzanillo. that is goat country. arid as ever, like a burnt savannah . those folks over there can cook some good goat..

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
ceviche de pescado con tostones.
a close second is Red snapper Fried with yuca fried from Adrian Tropical
my two cent for the day

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I've had Dominican food here in the US and when I went to Santo Domingo in Dec. 2015 and I think their gastronomy excels by the fact that it's very much so typical Spanish Caribbean food. It's like they've added their unique toquecitos to Spanish Caribbean food more so than other countries in the region, with the close exception of maybe Puerto Rico. 

Agree with marmota Dominican kitchen Very Very poor. I was given a dominican cookbook written by an apparently well known and, in DR respected cook/chef. I have looked through that book so many times in hopes to be inspured..I never am.  For me every recipe sounds unappealing.  I always hope that "this day" I will look through this book again and see something. Never happen.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Jamaica got.some.awesome.stews. Especially when they start dashing that pepper sauce about.

PR has some minute differences, just like Cuba does. Im not a fan of these bland pink beans.

When I eat, I like a party in my mouth. Thats why I love Jamaican food. And I turn people onto that hOt sauce when I come back to DR.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

I agree.  I have had some mighty good food in Jamaica and many of the other islands here in Caribbean.  DR? Food? Meh

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I used to tell the comedor I frequented that it was ensalada de "Polaco" since I grew up eating it in a Polish family. Ours was not so bland and we used more eggs. I made it myself for the first time a few years ago and except for needing to put a bit more salt I have to say it came out pretty darn good. (If we put some carrots we use less than here and cut more finely).

Agree with OP that the so-called Russian Salad that a friend served was good. Finally I was able to use the adjective good in same sentence as dominican preparation. Yea

Apr 7, 2014
Agree with OP that the so-called Russian Salad that a friend served was good. Finally I was able to use the adjective good in same sentence as dominican preparation. Yea
Whats Russian about it though? Its just bland potato salad. Could use more salt and not to overcook the potatoes to the could be mashed state.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Whats Russian about it though? Its just bland potato salad. Could use more salt and not to overcook the potatoes to the could be mashed state.

I think the "Russian" name comes from the beets that are added. If made correctly, it's delicious. My mother-in-law's was outstanding.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's called Russian because the original recipe was invented by a (Belgian) chef in a Moscow restaurant in the C19th.

The original version of the salad was invented in the 1860s by a cook of Belgian origin,[1] Lucien Olivier, the chef of the Hermitage, one of Moscow's most celebrated restaurants. Olivier's salad quickly became immensely popular with Hermitage regulars, and became the restaurant's signature dish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i rarely see it with beets and never with meat. in poland regular version would have potatoes, onion, green peas, carrots, parsnip, celery root, onion and pickles. in the UK i have seen it with ham. seems that there are plenty of options.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I like my potato salad with chives/spring onions, flat-leaf parsley and lots of freshly ground black pepper. The Dominican versions do not do it for me.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
The truth is that the dominican kitchen is kind of poor, in the sense of variety, is not bad, but is not as rich as others, maybe because is a small country so they have their limits, I don't know...

I don't feel that's the case at all. The DR is blessed with a wide variety of herbs and spices. Its been my experience that cooks stick to what they know, and are reluctant to experiment with the unknown.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "No mi gusta", only to find that it's something they've never tried.

Apr 7, 2014
i rarely see it with beets and never with meat. in poland regular version would have potatoes, onion, green peas, carrots, parsnip, celery root, onion and pickles. in the UK i have seen it with ham. seems that there are plenty of options.
This is the version I find familiar.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I don't feel that's the case at all. The DR is blessed with a wide variety of herbs and spices. Its been my experience that cooks stick to what they know, and are reluctant to experiment with the unknown.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "No mi gusta", only to find that it's something they've never tried.

DR might have some herbs and few spices but very few domincans can cook anything but the usual.  And absolutely do not seem to enjoy (yup it is the No mi gusta answer)food unless it contains what they know and most likely eat day after day. Everything that is overcooked here tastes exactly the same. Sad for them not to have any curiosity.  Food is a joy of life.