Dominican Hospitality/Helpfulness

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Don't be so hasty to make comments like this. People are too quick to judge on the negatives and forget how generous and trustworthy Dominicans in some of our lives are.
I won't rattle on but consider this. How many of us can walk down to our local neighbourhood store and buy $100 bucks of crap on the promise of a kind word and confidence, trust and good will? Colmados do this every day, and for the most part support on rota most people in the neighbourhoods at some point through the month on a no interest unspoken agreement and understanding. Don't say it is because we are gringos, because it isn't. All that debt is taken on through good will, nothing more.
Bitch about the BS, the corruption, the backwardness of the country, the short sightedness in general, the individuals who have robbed you the bin men who don't turn up, the women who are filthy sluts, the men who are abusive bastards, and god knows the PN who are the bacteria from the rim of the devils arse himself, but there are very very beautiful people, inside and out just waiting to get to know us all, if we can forget about the negative drama we read day in day out on DR1.

Darn it! I don't know if we got complimented or insulted! LOL!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Melvin's Story.

About 15 years ago,one of the cleaning ladies at the hospital where I worked asked me to hire her nephew (Melvin) as one of the gardeners there. I did. He worked hard, and after a few years, I moved him into maintenance. He did good work there to. He also did "Odd Jobs" at my house. He asked me to loan him money to buy a "Motor". I did,and he worked it off at my house. I left 5 years ago, and as is the case here, all "My People" were fired so other people's people could take their place. I had Melvin do more work at my house. He takes care of his mother and needed an income. From time to time I gave him clothes, food, etc. for his house.
When I was in Boston, he came and stole all my gardening tools, shovels,post hole digger, clippers,rakes,hand tools, EVERYTHING!
He told my mother-in-law that I gave him my permission to use them. I had done this in the past, so she allowed him to take them.
When I got back, I called Melvin. I said I had a lot of work for him at my house, and to bring to tools and get started.
First he said, "Manana", then "El fin de la semana", then "En la otra semana", then "NADA".
Point is, how stupid it is when people who have a steady income stream, for many years, from someone who helps them when they need it, thinks it's better for them to "Phuck That person over" for a thousand pesos of tools, than to do the right thing????
"Melvins Story" is just one of dozens of similar experiences I have had here over the last 25 years.
How much time have you got?
Have I got any "Good Stories"?
Yes!
But not very many.
You can see examples of "Melvin's Mentality" here everywhere.
What do you think that the politicians, police, and others are thinking when the screw over everyone they can, for short term gains?
"What A Country"!
Now, for those of you who feel the need to post:
"There are people like that everywhere!"
You are right!
But I live HERE, and the concentration of "STUPID" is overwhelming in the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
To Be Continued......................................................................

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Crossing the River

... from someone who helps them when they need it, thinks it's better for them to "Phuck That person over" for a thousand pesos of tools...

This reminds me of the story of the croc and the scorpion (and its similar versions).
So, let us have a DR-related version:

"A scorpion came to a river bank near Jarabacoa and wished to cross to the other side. When he saw a gringo swimming along the river bank near by he called him and said, "Would you please help me across the river? You know, I can't swim. I can ride on your shoulder to the other side... Pleeeeze."

“No” replied the gringo “for sure you will sting me if I do so.”

"Oh, no!" said the scorpion, who was anxious to cross the river.
"Why on earth should I do that? Everyone knows that scorpions are afraid of water, and we cannot swim and we would both drown!" replied the scorpion.

The gringo thought for a while, and realized it made sense what the scorpion said.
"He will die, if he stings me!" he thought. So, he told the scorpion to hop on his shoulder.

Half-way across the river, the gringo felt the painful sting from the scorpion at the back of his neck.

"Why did you do that?" the gringo asked with his last breath.

“No tengo la culpa” said the scorpion, "I am a Dominican scorpion..."

And they both drowned… :cry:

donP

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You're taking the wrong end of the stick. I was making the point that there are also Natives helping out people, and most likely being let down. I wasn't addressing the obvious issue with retarded morals, we have all got to protect ourselves from those pricks. My point is there are Dominicans who get the same ride as us and are decent people, they will like most expats try to help out where they can.

It is up to each individual to protect themselves from being ripped off, only you can control that. I control it by not allowing the opportunities to arise, keeps it simple and if it ever does it is never a big deal.

Like I've said before I can handle the people, the crime the retarded morals and lack of respect. I dont have to be anyones friend and it is up to me to choose the people around me. My issues pretty much start and end with the law, being that there is none. If that was pulled into line then the rest of the country would straighten up, IMO.

Dec 26, 2011
About 15 years ago,one of the cleaning ladies at the hospital where I worked asked me to hire her nephew (Melvin) as one of the gardeners there. I did. He worked hard, and after a few years, I moved him into maintenance. He did good work there to. He also did "Odd Jobs" at my house. He asked me to loan him money to buy a "Motor". I did,and he worked it off at my house. I left 5 years ago, and as is the case here, all "My People" were fired so other people's people could take their place. I had Melvin do more work at my house. He takes care of his mother and needed an income. From time to time I gave him clothes, food, etc. for his house.
When I was in Boston, he came and stole all my gardening tools, shovels,post hole digger, clippers,rakes,hand tools, EVERYTHING!
He told my mother-in-law that I gave him my permission to use them. I had done this in the past, so she allowed him to take them.
When I got back, I called Melvin. I said I had a lot of work for him at my house, and to bring to tools and get started.
First he said, "Manana", then "El fin de la semana", then "En la otra semana", then "NADA".
Point is, how stupid it is when people who have a steady income stream, for many years, from someone who helps them when they need it, thinks it's better for them to "Phuck That person over" for a thousand pesos of tools, than to do the right thing????
"Melvins Story" is just one of dozens of similar experiences I have had here over the last 25 years.
How much time have you got?
Have I got any "Good Stories"?
Yes!
But not very many.
You can see examples of "Melvin's Mentality" here everywhere.
What do you think that the politicians, police, and others are thinking when the screw over everyone they can, for short term gains?
"What A Country"!
Now, for those of you who feel the need to post:
"There are people like that everywhere!"
You are right!
But I live HERE, and the concentration of "STUPID" is overwhelming in the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
To Be Continued......................................................................

In RD there are gente and there are animales. Melvin es un animal.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...and the concentration of "STUPID" is overwhelming in the DR!"

So true, unfortunately... 16 years here tells me the same, sad, but it seems to be in the genes of far too many here...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Problem is:"Melvin" was a "Gente" for many many years,THEN just when you think you actually met a "Good One", BAM, their Dominican nature takes over and they go all"Animal" on you!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
"...and the concentration of "STUPID" is overwhelming in the DR!"

So true, unfortunately... 16 years here tells me the same, sad, but it seems to be in the genes of far too many here...

I'm not so sure if it is in the genes, or being stupid works better for them because being stupid leaves them with less responsability. Stupid is strong in DR for sure. I think I mentioned before about some relatives trying to pull a ding out of the back of the car by chaining the bumper of the car to the house with the intension of driving away and pulling it straight. They put the chain and rope through the front door and out of the living room window, drove off and pulled the front of the house off:ermm: bent the rebar out and stripped the blocks off, lol.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
...and of course they had not the idea to found a "Demolition Business" based on that "system"? How dumb, lol

Dec 26, 2011
Problem is:"Melvin" was a "Gente" for many many years,THEN just when you think you actually met a "Good One", BAM, their Dominican nature takes over and they go all"Animal" on you!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

And in reality, he was the one who got hurt. So stupid.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The dumbest part is there is one of those big thick solid concrete comms posts on the corner of the house. The concept is there, but the consequence for what they do isn't, morons.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
E' tu problema.

Yes, but that's YOUR problem. :paranoid:

In his world the confidence building worked, paid in the end. :bunny:
He won. :pirate:
You lost. :lick:

And smart Melvin is now convinced (as he always knew) that gringos are stupid. :glasses:

donP

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I'm not so sure if it is in the genes, or being stupid works better for them because being stupid leaves them with less responsability. Stupid is strong in DR for sure. I think I mentioned before about some relatives trying to pull a ding out of the back of the car by chaining the bumper of the car to the house with the intension of driving away and pulling it straight. They put the chain and rope through the front door and out of the living room window, drove off and pulled the front of the house off:ermm: bent the rebar out and stripped the blocks off, lol.

A famous quote from Forest Gump comes to mind!

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
But there is a way of people transferring money into an account in Canada from their account, by email. I don't know all the details but I know it does work. You don't always have to go to the bank. Possibly connected with internet banking.

BenDe

Aug 4, 2012
Ok Thanks,

From what I understand no advantage from Scotia Bank, Same for all Canadian Banks no internet transfer to DR.
All must be done buy person at Bank......Have simallar arragement call Bank or Family member goes to Bank in Canada.

I will be moving soon to RD myself, it's been years i'm planing it.
I am from CIBC, there's no way you can do any online transfer over to another country.
i have talked to Scotia Bank about the possibility to transfer from 1 account to another over there,
they told me it's not possible, the "wire transfer" or electronic transfer is the only option since
the banks are not connected in any way.

From all research i did about RD, still i do not know everything, any brand or company name (example RE/MAX)
are only "franchise", you can "buy" the right to use the name, but it will not be recognise by any of the american/canadian Re/Max.

I have been told by my bank that the cheapest way to transfer the money to my DR bank would be to bring 1 or many Money order payable to yourself, it cost around 7.50$ per money order and noone else but you can cash it, just deposit it in your RD bank account.

Hope this help a bit.!