Dominican Hospitality/Helpfulness

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
BenDe certainly would know and has correctly explained the situation that any bank in the DR is a separate bank from the ones in any other country and no simple "internet" banking is possible between banks in the DR and outside the DR no matter what they are called. Wire transfers are certainly one option.

Instead of paying for Money Orders, why not just deposit a Canadian check into your account? Does that not work for Canadians?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Instead of paying for Money Orders, why not just deposit a Canadian check into your account? Does that not work for Canadians?

At my bank, they wouldn't accept a USD check into our peso account. We had to open a USD account to do that. It works fine, except the creeps won't clear the check for about a month - although it clears my US bank in about 2-3 days. So we bring cash with us, and as soon as we arrive we deposit a check into that account.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've said it before. You need to develop a relationship with your bank manager. The more they know you, the easier it becomes to do things.

That works well for me in the US. Our DR bank branch is in the same location as Mr.AE's brother's business headquarters, and yes, he uses them, and yes, they know he and his wife very well. Mr. AE always introduces himself by referring to the brother when dealing with the desk, and it does help sometimes. But sometimes the brother has to physically come into the bank, but we only use that card when it's vitally important.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But there is a way of people transferring money into an account in Canada from their account, by email. I don't know all the details but I know it does work. You don't always have to go to the bank. Possibly connected with internet banking.

A wire transfer can be initiated using the Internet for some bank accounts.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At my bank, they wouldn't accept a USD check into our peso account. We had to open a USD account to do that. It works fine, except the creeps won't clear the check for about a month - although it clears my US bank in about 2-3 days. So we bring cash with us, and as soon as we arrive we deposit a check into that account.

AE,
I wire US dollars from either Canada or the US to my peso account at Scotia and it gets converted automatically into DRP.
My Us bank is TD (formerly Commerce)

CCCCC's Xoom will work but you need to be in a neighborhood/city that has a p/u point.
I don't think Cabrera does, so its not for me

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE,
I wire US dollars from either Canada or the US to my peso account at Scotia and it gets converted automatically into DRP.
My Us bank is TD (formerly Commerce)

I had no trouble with wires, it was personal checks they balked at. We often carry cash on the plane, and then deposit it into our dollar account, kind of silly because wire is only $45, it just annoys me to know Big Brother is probably watching what we do via wire.

We originally opened the US account so we could take out dollars and convert them where WE wanted to. Unfortunately, most of the time our BHD branch in SD claims they have no USD. I think they lie...... :) The BHD branch in San Cristobal [inside La Sirena] seems to have USD upon request, and I'm sure we'd have no problem at the home office on Churchill and 27 de Feb, but not worth fighting the traffic over a few pesos difference.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have sort of given up on the carrying cash after all the threads here.

I always have a local w/ me from the airport, but still.....

That, plus the nearest Scotia is 25 minutes away... the cambio takes my checks - US or RD, so, like you, I pay the fee instead of the gas:rolleyes:

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
To use "EXACTLY" again........

Thats exactly why I posted it.
Read my post where I say that I get ridiculed at times for having faith in Dominican humanity.

To date, I'm still ahead of the game in that regard - more good than bad.

Too bad if you aren't..... try an attitude adjustment(just for fun) and see if your life improves.

Will Im ahead of the game in more ways than I can count. I just dont count checks until they clear
cheers

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Dominican helpfullness, once again.

We were asked to give a demo of dogfrisbee in SD for a good cause for abandoned children, organized by the Ultimate Frisbee organization of the DR (a yearly event, apparently). So we drove from Sosua to SD, where we met a friend there, who was going to join us in the demo. He told us the poloclub, where the event was held, was not far away.

I looked at my gasmeter, which read a quart, and said "let's go"...

Aaaarggghhhhh... this field was not in SD, but somewhere far out in the wilderness, in the neighborhood of Balaguer airport. And we had to travel for miles over very bad dirt roads. Needless to say, I was running out of gas rapidly.

We arrived at the event, deep into my reserve, and I saw no chance of returning, and making it to the first gasstation.

I was told by the organizers, there was a colmado selling gasoline in jugs, about a mile away. I made it there, to be told they were out. But they directed me to another colmado, half a mile down, which proved to be also out.

Back at the event, the caretaker of the field told me there was another colmado, in the other direction, who also sold gasoline. So after the event we drove there, to be told they were... yes, you guessed it... We picked up an old man, who later proved to have walked miles to buy an advocado, who showed us the next colmado...

But, they told me about yet another colmado, on some side street, who was sure to have some. He summoned his son, who jumped on his moto, and I followed him to this colmado, and yes, sure enough they had some. The kid also showed me a shorter way to the main road at Balaguer airport.

I offered the kid some money, but he politely refused. I bought a gallon of gasoline, expecting to pay through the nose, but they charged me 250 rds, only 26 rds more than the official price.

No way this would have happened in Belgium, or the States. They were bending over backwards trying to help.

BelgianK

PS: only in the DR... while on this road we were passed by a quad pulling a dune-buggy on a rope... AT 50 MILES PER HOUR AT LEAST...lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ok CCCCC, flex those typing fingers, crack those knuckles--- you're about to slam me again:mad:

My Jeep wouldn't start...... tick,tick,tick,tick ad infinitum.
Not the battery, must be the starter motor.

Call the local mechanico (same guy w/ the fuel pump) who arrives and goes under the car to remove the ttroublesome component.

Take it off to the shop, opens it greases it and returns to reinstall it.
Works like a dream--- car repair 'housecall' ---- all finished in 3 hours.

1500DRP might be a bit steep, but this guy shows up when he says.... never get the 'manana' treatment from him, so I figure its worth it.

I love it ........

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Check out "Xoom.com".
Transfers take about 1 hour until thye money is ready for pickup in the DR.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Could you please expand on this "Xoom.com", how are they different from the others or from just transferring via your bank. ?

their fees, time, ?
Will it not get caught up in any red tape which is the usual reason for the delays ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Did this price include the starter and installation? If so, VERY GOOD price IMO

No new starter, Just JDJ says, it only needed cleaning and oiling.

So, 2 trips to the house and back - removal of starter, refurb and reinstall.
3 hours.

Maybe not bad......listen, w/ me and cars, I'll pay alot to get back on the road - quickly.
Here a mechanico can take days to appear - not this guy.... He's going on my Christmas list

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Jeeps suffer from that.

Buildup on the armature brushes until it won't turn over anymore at all. A light application of 2000 grit sandpaper brings them back to new.

They also have problems with rough running, due to deterioration of vacumn hoses.

They also suffer from Computer problems. You're driving one minute, all of the sudden, it dies. As soon as you pull over, it starts right up again.

Eliminating the computer is as simple as cutting two wires, and splicing them together.

Thanks JDJ, I'll remember that.

Now that we have a 2nd car, this one will go in for a total refurb.... 2005 w/ 51,000 miles.
Local only from now on..... good beach car

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Much is not needed.

Eliminating the computer is as simple as cutting two wires, and splicing them together.

I was surprised how many things Dominicans can take out of cars and thus bring them to a culturally acceptable technology standard.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ya know, the day didn't start out very well.
I went to my honey man to have him fill my bottle and he has no honey -- until next week, maybe.

Ticked me off.... I leave Saturday.

Then, my man mingo fixed my Jeep well and quickly - I started to feel better.

This afternoon, I went into town to pick up one of our mosquito nets. The wind had blown it around enough to break the 'hang me up ' thingy.
I gave the senora specific instructions how I thought it should be fixed to insure that it would be stronger - b/c those brisas are still kicking.
She understood my Spanglish.

Upon picking it up, she refused any payment.... free for me(something like that)

I should patent my repair technique before she does....

Some days are good days..............

And then along comes a great day.

Now, if I can just convince that basketball player to give CCCC another chance, I'll go buy a lottery ticket.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You certainly are quite the dreamer today!!

I had to pinch myself that it wasn't a dream.....

True, true, true...... and the day isn't over yet.

Imagine what might happen when the sun goes down !!!???

I guess I should shower................. and use some 'smelly soaps' ( a la Waking Ned Devine)

btw, if you haven't seen that DVD...... go get it and then wrap something around your belly to prevent ruptures

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
some days are better then others...

Today was a ****ty day...lol

- Woke up this morning, realizing my alarm did not go off, so was late picking up our cleaning lady.
- Picked her up. drove her home, and as she has become a dear friend in the 2 years she worked for us, she was telling me she dropped her phone, the screen broke, and she asked me if I could take it to a repairshop in Sosua to have it fixed (she lives in Sabaneta). I told her no probs... but then heard the repair for a stupid 5 cent piece of plastic would cost 2,500rds. I know she would pay me back, but 2,500rds for a 4,000rds phone? Come on.
- Arrived back at the casa, fired up my notebook, and discovered my harddrive was fried for one reason or another. Thank God for Marco at Rocky's. He is fixing it right now... Meaning, installing a new harddrive...
- Our main guardog, called affectionately "el loco" by our cleaning lady, decided that my left front tire needed some attention and punctured it with 2 holes...
- The cajero in Cabarete was not working, so no dinero

So William... YOU HAD A BAD DAY!!!!!

Thank God I can get plenty of nice wild honey.... You want a gallon or 2?

Frustrated BelgianK

I had to pinch myself that it wasn't a dream.....

True, true, true...... and the day isn't over yet.

Imagine what might happen when the sun goes down !!!???

I guess I should shower................. and use some 'smelly soaps' ( a la Waking Ned Devine)

btw, if you haven't seen that DVD...... go get it and then wrap something around your belly to prevent ruptures