Dominican Hospitality/Helpfulness

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As my daughters say when I whine about things here...

Daddy, you'll get 'Dominican'ed' about every day or two...... get over it.

Sorry about your bad one...... mine is ramping UP... my graph looks like this - /

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
some days are better then others...
- Woke up this morning, realizing my alarm did not go off, so was late picking up our cleaning lady.
- Picked her up. drove her home, and as she has become a dear friend in the 2 years she worked for us, she was telling me she dropped her phone, the screen broke, and she asked me if I could take it to a repairshop in Sosua to have it fixed (she lives in Sabaneta). I told her no probs... but then heard the repair for a stupid 5 cent piece of plastic would cost 2,500rds. I know she would pay me back, but 2,500rds for a 4,000rds phone? Come on.

I don't think you should become friends with the cleaning lady.
By the way, $2,500? You can get a brand new phone for that!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think you should become friends with the cleaning lady.
By the way, $2,500? You can get a brand new phone for that!

My dear friend....

Having lived here for over 3 years... The friend in question has borrowed money 2 times (on my suggestion, she did not ask for it), and has paid it back way sooner than the agreement.

She never missed a day of work...

If we have a party on a weekend, she volunteeres to come over and clean the patio, help with the food, for no charge at all. Yes, I will go and get her, and she and her hubby get to eat for free, and take the left-overs. Bad me...

They are a very well respected family in their community... Totally honest.

A lot of the locals are good people. We treat them with the respect they deserve, and they do likewise.

Do not mistake me. My previous career was being troubleshooter. I was the guy who came into an office or factory, and people started trembling...

I was the most disliked guy on the workfloor as I fired every ass wich did not meet my standards, which were very high...

I know people, I know how to judge them. and so far I made only one mistake... with an expat...

BelgianK

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Ya know, the day didn't start out very well.
I went to my honey man to have him fill my bottle and he has no honey -- until next week, maybe.

Ticked me off.... I leave Saturday.

Then, my man mingo fixed my Jeep well and quickly - I started to feel better.

This afternoon, I went into town to pick up one of our mosquito nets. The wind had blown it around enough to break the 'hang me up ' thingy.
I gave the senora specific instructions how I thought it should be fixed to insure that it would be stronger - b/c those brisas are still kicking.
She understood my Spanglish.

Upon picking it up, she refused any payment.... free for me(something like that)

I should patent my repair technique before she does....

Some days are good days..............

And then along comes a great day.

Now, if I can just convince that basketball player to give CCCC another chance, I'll go buy a lottery ticket.

I hate those crappy days when everything goes wrong!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm just a regular guy - who lucks out regularly............

Where's the beef....?

Stick w/ me.... you'll wear zircons........

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
My dear friend....

Having lived here for over 3 years... The friend in question has borrowed money 2 times (on my suggestion, she did not ask for it), and has paid it back way sooner than the agreement.

She never missed a day of work...

If we have a party on a weekend, she volunteeres to come over and clean the patio, help with the food, for no charge at all. Yes, I will go and get her, and she and her hubby get to eat for free, and take the left-overs. Bad me...

They are a very well respected family in their community... Totally honest.

A lot of the locals are good people. We treat them with the respect they deserve, and they do likewise.

Do not mistake me. My previous career was being troubleshooter. I was the guy who came into an office or factory, and people started trembling...

I was the most disliked guy on the workfloor as I fired every ass wich did not meet my standards, which were very high...

I know people, I know how to judge them. and so far I made only one mistake... with an expat...

BelgianK

I didn't mean to sound negative. It's just that when you become very good friends with people who work for you, it seems to affect the quality of their work, and not in a positive way. I've seen this many times.

That lady sounds nice though!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm just a regular guy - who lucks out regularly............

Where's the beef....?

Stick w/ me.... you'll wear zircons........

Depending on your age....

Remember that ols Lucky Charms commercial?

The little elf, whatever.... jumps around saying

"Catchme and you catch my lucky charms"

Whenever I do that, I get arrested:mad:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hah! had a good day today.
woke up at 9am, went swimming, made pizza, slept some more, went to the gym, went for a walk with goggies, went to the pool again. and miesposo got a pay rise, hallelujah.
on the downside all day no power and no internet.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
FROM THE DARK SIDE

This one will appeal to CCCCCC

My friend had a robbery - solar panels, controller , chainsaw, various tools, etc.
His WatchyMan was a bit tardy in reporting it - like 3 weeks tardy.

Anyway, he was in Cabrera w/ me last week to start the official wheels of justice in motion.
The police said not to worry, they'll kill him when they catch him.

Last night, they recovered all the solar equipment - it was in Sanchez.
They tracked the gang well into the hills - maybe 6-7-8kms up behind Cabrera.

It was a Dominican gang using Haitians as the footmen.
The same gang that had robbed in Cabrera a couple of years ago - the local police killed 2 men then.

This time they just shot the culprit in the knee.

The panels had been sold - they were confiscated back to the police and then were tracked back through the various people to identify the thieves.

You may not appreciate the style of justice but this is the 3rd instance that I know of in Cabrera where the police have worked hard to be successful....
My friend reported this last friday and had results by Monday night.

Classify this as you wish - either positive or negative.
I guess it depends on how you view life in RD

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
but did the guy get his stuff back? because it being found does not mean it being given back :)

some time ago miesposo's workers had some fun watching a police chase in the area. young guy, pursued for theft. he went on the roof and was running away jumping from one to the other. but the police managed to get communication between the units going and they set traps in places the youth could climb down. climb down he did and was promptly shot in both legs and dragged to the police station.
officer in charge said the thief was lucky. they needed to talk to him. next time he will be shot in the head.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Four guys shot and killed my "Casa de Cambio" owner a couple of years ago.
He was getting out of his car, into his wheel chair!!!!
Nice guys, "Huh"??
Anyway, a random roadblock near my house stopped them.A gunfight ensued.
Two guys shot dead,two ran.
One ran into an apt. bldg., and onto the roof.
Whan the police arrived on the roof, the guy "Jumped" off.
It wasn't the fall from 4 stories that killed him!
It was the "Sudden Stop" when he hit the ground.
The local police are still laughing about how the guy flapped his arms all the way down!
Outstanding police work in my book!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
US tdameritrade allow a fax to set off a free transfer. Open a charge free US dollar account with them .

Incoming wires very little charge.

Check deposits nothing by post.

yapask1

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
but did the guy get his stuff back? because it being found does not mean it being given back :)

some time ago miesposo's workers had some fun watching a police chase in the area. young guy, pursued for theft. he went on the roof and was running away jumping from one to the other. but the police managed to get communication between the units going and they set traps in places the youth could climb down. climb down he did and was promptly shot in both legs and dragged to the police station.
officer in charge said the thief was lucky. they needed to talk to him. next time he will be shot in the head.

Yes, the "stuff" is being processed and returned to him.
Propinas are paid...
He identified and claimed what they recovered.

He issued a reward to the locals and the police for recovery.
They phoned him at midnite - he was leaving the next day - to report their find.
He got out bed and went to verify the cache.

No problems from here in..... his local employee is on it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
US tdameritrade allow a fax to set off a free transfer. Open a charge free US dollar account with them .

Incoming wires very little charge.

Check deposits nothing by post.

yapask1

Yappy, are you on the right thread?

Eat that seaweed.... don't ever dry it and smoke it.... halucigenic

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Yappy, are you on the right thread?

Eat that seaweed.... don't ever dry it and smoke it.... halucigenic

do not disappoint yappy... drying and smoking it makes the other stuff he eats, taste that much better.

And on top of that, he even believes all the crap he writes...

Mind you, the pate recipe sounded tasty...

BelgianK