Dominican official warns again, regularize or you will leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Then we just have different definitions of "force". To be clear, if one does not become a legal resident or a citizen, then they will deport you. To me that is "force".

It may be force but it will be as a result of your own actions or lack of actions. Everyone should be in a country legally.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
What is not clear to me is. What provisions are to made for visitors. What the procedures will be for these visitors. Are the doing away with the overstay tax provision? Are they really going to limit tourists to 30 days?

I want to do things the right way. Are they going to explain it to me when I arrive or am I to discover this on my own while in the country? People have been doing the overstay thing for as long as I have been coming here. They need to make this clear.

I guess everyone better damn well have your passport/cedula on you at all times. The National Police are going to have a field day with this one.

If it was not for DR1, I would not know a damn thing about this stuff. I only have heard about it here as I do not read Spanish very well....none of my friends have mentioned it.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Rameses, just wait and in days they will let everyone know how the regularization plan will work out (what everyone needs to do) for those who want to.

This is to get your mind ready for June, to be prepared.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I wondered if anyone in the government has realized there are many longtime expats who have no current passport and no fundsto buy a ticket if they are deported. Pretty certain the airlines will not pick up the tab. Hmmm?

Ignorance is bliss but unfortunately for expats who never took action to get residency it will no longer be an option. I doubt the DR Gov is really concerned about your particular situation.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Dominican Republic starts to regularize foreigners on June 1

Santo Domingo.- The Dominican Government irons out the logistics to start the National Plan to Regularize Foreigners on June 1, National Immigration Council (CNM) president Jos? Ram?n Fadul announced Wednesday.

Fadul, who’s also the Minister of Interior and Police, said all the forms were already printed and work continues to install offices at the headquarters of provincial governments.

Speaking to reporters at the National Palace the official also announced the start a media campaign in the coming days, "so that people are informed as to where they should go and have guarantees that it’s not a call to regularize to produce irregular or abusive deportations or disrespect of the dignity of human beings."

The official reiterated that the foreigners who don’t register, or don’t qualify, will have to return to their country, as stipulated in the Plan enacted through Executive Order 327-13.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...lic-starts-to-regularize-foreigners-on-June-1

Gobierno iniciar? Plan de Regularizaci?n Extranjeros el primero de junio - listindiario.com

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Here's the translation from ListinDiario which is more detailed.

The government will begin the first of June, the National Foreign Regularization Plan to provide documentation

to immigrants who are in the country irregularly, which would apply the decree 327-13, issued by the Executive with the purpose of implementing the judgment of the Constitutional Court 168-13.

This was announced by the Minister of Interior Police, Jos? Ram?n Fadul, who yesterday afternoon met with President Danilo Medina in the National Palace, and according to his information he gave a report on the subject.

"We are now opening offices in all provinces nationwide.We are equipped and we are ready, we have the forms ready and promptly we will start a campaign that will spread through the media so that those who are interested know where to go and what to do, "he added.

He stressed that to expand the service they will install mobile units in the provinces where there are greater numbers of undocumented immigrants.

Fadul clarified that it is not calling the people living in the Dominican Republic in irregular status regularized to produce mass deportations, but so they can get documentation that allows them to live here legally, "he said.

However, he reiterated that all illegal aliens who are not regularized, will be deported.

"We have an agreement with the Central Electoral Board to take their fingerprints and other biometric data, warning that those who do not avail themselves of the plan will be returned to their country of origin.

He said that there is still a census to determine how many people live in this country illegally, which, he said, there are different countries, citing the Americans, Canadians, Spaniards.

The official explained that the Reorganization Plan of illegals has nothing to do with the bill to be sent to Congress.

"At the time, President Medina sent this draft. We are now talking of the Reorganization Plan, is a decree that the President has already issued and mounted everything, "he added.

He said the President is giving final touches to the draft bill and will send it to Congress when he sees fit.

Fadul ensured that the plan shall be implemented as scheduled by the government, so he asked the people living in illegal status in this country, to go without fear of being deported.

According to Decree 327-13, foreigners invoking the Plan must make their application within a period of eighteen 18 months from the enactment thereof.

While foreigners who do not avail themselves of the plan may choose assisted repatriation and in default are subject to deportation, as provided by law.

Similarly, Decree 327-13 establishes the criteria used to establish the time of filing, attachment to society and labor and socio-economic conditions of foreigners in the Dominican Republic.

Gobierno iniciar? Plan de Regularizaci?n Extranjeros el primero de junio - listindiario.com

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
What about kids? Anyone know anything about that? I am fine, I leave for a few weeks to go to work, come back, and leave again before the 60 days are up. My wife and kids have been there for several months though. I was planning on starting her residency soon. Will this makes things easier, so she wont have to return to the US for a residency visa? And, any reason I should have to get my kids residency?

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
This guy can not regularize even his own family members, his nephew was sent to jail last week for posting his ex?girlfriend's nude pics on the Internet.

This is, indeed, funny! Talk is cheap in those Islands! But, never serious actions!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Ignorance is bliss but unfortunately for expats who never took action to get residency it will no longer be an option. I doubt the DR Gov is really concerned about your particular situation.
ltSteve,
You missed my point. I am a card carrying legal resident. I was pointing out the fact that deportation will cost the DR budget since a large number who are elderly or exiled from their home country have no funds for an airline ticket or passport to re-enter their home country.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
LOL.....LOL.....LOL.... and who exactly will pay for the transport via the plane.......it sure ain't the gov of the DR, so .... deportation ...... oh well we can't pay for you to leave, so stay here.... as long as you're not Haitian.......................

I think they are definitely talking to Haitians! No one else

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ltSteve,
You missed my point. I am a card carrying legal resident. I was pointing out the fact that deportation will cost the DR budget since a large number who are elderly or exiled from their home country have no funds for an airline ticket or passport to re-enter their home country.

perhaps it is those types that are in the crosshairs

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Its stated very clearly, this is all undocumented foreigners..

"The official reiterated that the foreigners who don’t register, or don’t qualify, will have to return to their country, as stipulated in the Plan enacted through Executive Order 327-13".

Furthermore, immediate deportation will be enacted, meaning once you are caught on the street, you will be detained and sent to one of the set up holding yards, at this point you will be processed and deported..

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
My family and I have perm. residency that needs to be renewed in July. From what I can tell, it will cost US$600 per person to renew without the help of a lawyer, up from 5000 pesos 2 years ago (don't remember the exchange rate at that time). But, that's quite a increase.

I understand, June 1, a plan will be made to "fast track" people into residency. Any one know how much that will cost? Is it an option for me? Seems surprising that none of these details wouldn't be leaked.

I've been here 7 years and the DR is changing rapidly.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Once they find out just how much money it will cost the govt, and the fact that they can't buy new yeepetas, they will kybosh this plan and concentrate on the Haitians.....

Here's the thinking.....truck cheaper than plane.....send gringo home no new yeepeta.....hhhmmmm.....ok I want new yeepeta gringo can stay........

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
ltSteve,

Abuela, others are saying the same thing that it will cost the DR budget like as if the DR gov't
was not aware of how much it would cost. The regularization plan was a well thought out plan
and ALL angles were analyzed and a solution has been made. Just because officials haven't
said what they will do YET does not mean there's no solution. I'm quite sure a budget was/has
been set aside for this purpose otherwise they would not be at the level of confidence to proceed
with this plan.

As far as those who claim to be exiled from their home countries I'm quite sure officials will
verify if said is true. They should also have documentation or proof. As to what will happen
afterwards I'm quite sure we will hear about it through the news media.

Status
Not open for further replies.