Eats Sosua and Cabarete - good news bad news.....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
HA, that will be my first weekend trip after moving to Santiago :D Haxn!!! :D

I notices the Pig knuckle as well.. have NEVER seen that on the North Coast .. Thats a Bavarian thing for sure ..
I see Spätzle as well .... not easy to do proper

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Guess that will be more than one trip. Can't eat all that on one visit what I would like to order :D

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...Puerto_Plata_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

This place DOES Indeed look VERY Authentic German...
I see they also serve Erdinger Weisse.. in a PROPER WeiZen Glass... .that speaks volumes ..
Amazing that i have never heard of it before...
This is now a MUST DO..

Open up the pictures in that link... the pictures speak a thousand words ...

I was gonna recommend my GO TO Germann restaurant in Sosua, at Rancho Hotel... but its very small and hot .. Andy is excellent though..

but NOW I am Fascinated by this place .. if those pics are real... that is as authentic German as I have ever seen on the North Coast .. period ...

Those pictures are very unappealing to me.....But more importantly none of the menu pictures show what #19 or #108 is.
:classic: mob

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well, I'm willing to risk a Trip over there to find out , that is a Certainty ...
but nothing would improve this FINE thread even more than Residents of Cabarete, and Sosua taking actual Pictures of the Menu Items ( not just at one Restaurant in particular) and Posting those Food Pictures here , like in almost Real TIME ? ... That would be just Awesome ...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Would you please provide directions to this restaurant?

Thx.

Going from Sosua you naturally head towards Cabarate. A short distance before Cabarate you will see a Cell tower on your right. Turn right at the foot of the tower and head a very short distance and it will be on your left.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gringo will need directions home too.....
After his lunch....

Please provide in the squinty eyed framework

hahaha

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing about this place. If you get to know Ricardo you can order in advance Fondue, meat or cheese. All you can eat and absolutely great.

Actually Ricardo is Swiss, not German. And some of his best customers are Restaurant owners themselves. Big Frank was in there with his sons eating all the time when he had O'Shays.

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
For slightly more specific directions, Bayerischerhof, Ricardo’s place, is down the road at the cell tower across from Gorditos in Ocean Dream Plaza.
It’s on the left, in the back yard of his house.

Great food, consistent quality, good prices. Always feels like I got a home cooked meal.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I notices the Pig knuckle as well.. have NEVER seen that on the North Coast .. Thats a Bavarian thing for sure ..
I see Spätzle as well .... not easy to do proper

Lately you have to ask them to get pig knuckles beforehand. They don't have it all the time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can get them occasionally in german/austrian run places in PP during october (beer fest and all that jazz). i had schweinshaxe in papillon and tres cocos. they are also readily available in jose luis if you fancy cooking it yourself.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Rocky's is NOT closed. It is being run by Milka and her family. Please help her out by visiting soon.

Thank you and take care.

The discussion is not about Rocky's in Sosua, but rather the default on Rocky's Aqua on Cabarete beach which is now looking for it next renter/owner.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not trying to sound negative but still really curious to see
whether or not the Chinese snatch up the quaint little town
of Sosua and within a few short years its nothing more than
a shell of its former self.

That is an angle I have not seen coming. And I still don't see it coming.

A shell of it's former self? Might not be a bad thing in that case.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Those pictures are very unappealing to me.....But more importantly none of the menu pictures show what #19 or #108 is.
:classic: mob

That is because the Schnitzel with Mushroom Sauce, #19, is on a different page. Had it last week.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
108 is a Special, you will find it on the back of the menu. It is the best pork dish you will ever have. And huge.

But they run out of this dish frequently. Get there early if you want it.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
For value and great variety, Taberna el Conde in Sosua is awesome. Also they always have something Vegan available which seems to be coming more popular.
For pizza, La Ceiba in Sosua in the plaza behind Texaco gas station, (also in Perla Marina)
For families, Nelsons...awesome place for the kids. I also like Margots but it can be hit and miss sometimes.
For gourmet, then Casa 21 is a must. The food is out of this world

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
For fine dining I like Hispaniola Diners Club. El Conde at least once a week for me,they never disappoint and Nick is a great guy.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the Pizza advice. I have been around over 10 years and really never had a quality pizza. I was born and raise in the US however lived in Napoli for 7 years, Bali 2 years, Colombia 3 years and have travelled the globe. Sosua/Cabarete justcan’t figure out quality. It is either bad dough, poor sauce, poor cheese or a poor cooking method. Or a combination of all of the above.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for the Pizza advice. I have been around over 10 years and really never had a quality pizza. I was born and raise in the US however lived in Napoli for 7 years, Bali 2 years, Colombia 3 years and have travelled the globe. Sosua/Cabarete justcan’t figure out quality. It is either bad dough, poor sauce, poor cheese or a poor cooking method. Or a combination of all of the above.

I will never find a pizza as good as what I grew up with in upstate NY. That means anywhere else in the world including NY City or Boston. Expecting the DR to come up to that level is not even reasonable. I have resigned myself to that situation.