Eats Sosua and Cabarete - good news bad news.....

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
We went to Sosua Ocean Village Laguna yesterday to let the kids have a run about the play park and the petting zoo.

We parents found a shady table and thought we would sample their new draft beer. It wasn't bad at all. The IPA was quite bitter, but the pilsner had a very agreeable taste to it. Almost sweet. They do an offer between 5-7pm where, for every 100 pesos you spend on food in the restaurant, you get a free draft beer. So we asked to see the menu. If you're a fish eater, you're in luck. The menu is very fishy. But a lot of it is Tilapia, which I assume comes from their fishing lake. One thing that put us right off was that there were several fish floating belly up on the surface of the lake! I wonder if they make it into the kitchen?

The few things that weren't fishy that I recall, was the club sandwich. But at 590 pesos, we gave it a miss.

In my opinion they need to address that menu, because the location is wonderful for families.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We went to Sosua Ocean Village Laguna yesterday to let the kids have a run about the play park and the petting zoo.

We parents found a shady table and thought we would sample their new draft beer. It wasn't bad at all. The IPA was quite bitter, but the pilsner had a very agreeable taste to it. Almost sweet. They do an offer between 5-7pm where, for every 100 pesos you spend on food in the restaurant, you get a free draft beer. So we asked to see the menu. If you're a fish eater, you're in luck. The menu is very fishy. But a lot of it is Tilapia, which I assume comes from their fishing lake. One thing that put us right off was that there were several fish floating belly up on the surface of the lake! I wonder if they make it into the kitchen?

The few things that weren't fishy that I recall, was the club sandwich. But at 590 pesos, we gave it a miss.

In my opinion they need to address that menu, because the location is wonderful for families.

IPA, my least favorite beer of all time. Crazy Ranch also brews their own IPA.

Yet another Pilsner? How about a lager? I know the DR is a warm country.

Tilapia? No thanks. Agreed the menu would need a revision.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Agreed the menu would need a revision.

Get Big Frank to offer his $10 Philly Steak & cheese there. I'd buy one there just to get the 5 drafts. Come to think of it, if the draft is cold and not swill, I'd buy the tilapia for the cats just to get the free beer. Shouldn't be too difficult to put 10 free drafts on the table and that should last me from 5 to 7. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Get Big Frank to offer his $10 Philly Steak & cheese there. I'd buy one there just to get the 5 drafts. Come to think of it, if the draft is cold and not swill, I'd buy the tilapia for the cats just to get the free beer. Shouldn't be too difficult to put 10 free drafts on the table and that should last me from 5 to 7. :)

That might require some Russian collusion and we all know how that goes. Despite Big Franks vast experience, they could end up eating his lunch.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Belgium Bakery in Cabarete. Although I was a regular, every day customer several months over the past year, I see a serious decline in food quality and customer service. I won't go into detail, but I hope the recent changes can be reversed. For now, I will no longer stop.

When it comes to service in the DR it depends on what type of standards you're holding them to. US/Canadian/European standards? You're right, the service is not good. Dominican standards? I would say not great but above average. As far as the food goes, I would also say it is also above average, but I haven't noticed any decline in the quality. It's always been like that.

On the bright side, I think the recent renovations at Dick's Panaderia are terrific.

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
I know things change fast in Sosua but in the spring a restaurant reopened in Hotel Romanov . Nice home styled Hungarian food and deep fried ice cream. Hope it's still open.

I used to like to goto Baileys for a Baileys colada and and maybe a pizza once in awhile, I know the place is over priced but the drinks were good and the food pretty good. The waiters lately seem to have a bad attitude with the customers and thats a little disappointing as I always tip them well, The other night was the last straw, never again will I enter that place. I had a good dinner with the gf and her sister and her niece, The bill was 3200 pesos and I gave the waiter 4000 pesos, 20 mins goes by and no change is brought to me, When I question him, He tells me I told him, to keep the change, WTF I probably would have left him the 300 pesos and took the 500 back, This clown gets indignant and tells me I better respect him. I finally get my 800 pesos back, WTF is wrong with these clowns???

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I know things change fast in Sosua but in the spring a restaurant reopened in Hotel Romanov . Nice home styled Hungarian food and deep fried ice cream. Hope it's still open.

I walked by there today. The Romanov is now the “Checko Hotel”. The Resturant is closed. Looks like it’s undergoing renovations? New sigh on top says “Checko Resturant”.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I used to like to goto Baileys for a Baileys colada and and maybe a pizza once in awhile, I know the place is over priced but the drinks were good and the food pretty good. The waiters lately seem to have a bad attitude with the customers and thats a little disappointing as I always tip them well, The other night was the last straw, never again will I enter that place. I had a good dinner with the gf and her sister and her niece, The bill was 3200 pesos and I gave the waiter 4000 pesos, 20 mins goes by and no change is brought to me, When I question him, He tells me I told him, to keep the change, WTF I probably would have left him the 300 pesos and took the 500 back, This clown gets indignant and tells me I better respect him. I finally get my 800 pesos back, WTF is wrong with these clowns???

Sorry for the bad experience, but generally people think the more they tip the better service and experience, and respect, they get. Unfortunately I find, in poor countries, what you get is, "Ah, this guy is easy/loose with his money, and loaded, so let's rip him off even more" - I can imagine some show offs in Baileys leave that much off their bills there.....! ?

Keep it a bit tight and fair and you get better value/experience in general.... ! (my opinion/experience of course, YMMV).

Sorry for the bad experience, but generally people think the more they tip the better service and experience, and respect, they get. Unfortunately I find, in poor countries, what you get is, "Ah, this guy is easy/loose with his money, and loaded, so let's rip him off even more" - I can imagine some show offs in Baileys leave that much off their bills there.....! ?

Keep it a bit tight and fair and you get better value/experience in general.... ! (my opinion/experience of course, YMMV).

I agree with you, for the most part but this moron knows I more or less live there and I am in there at least 2-3 times a month for a quick lunch or late dinner, because they are usually open later than other places in Sosua. I dont over tip and try to show off, but I always leave a good tip for good service, and that clown knows that, but he just tried to take advantage for some dumb reason.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I agree with you, for the most part but this moron knows I more or less live there and I am in there at least 2-3 times a month for a quick lunch or late dinner, because they are usually open later than other places in Sosua. I dont over tip and try to show off, but I always leave a good tip for good service, and that clown knows that, but he just tried to take advantage for some dumb reason.

Reminds you of "...biting the hands that feed them", they do that sometime, I have stopped going to places due to bad treatment. But sometime they make mistakes here and then try to cover it up and not loose face, it even could have been the person on the cash register who messed up. So you never know, take it easy and forget it, I found it's the best solution.....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I used to go to a Provocon near my work almost on a daily basis. One day I went in and they had set up big speakers with music blasting.
I was the only one there, so I asked them to turn it down. The employee told me if I didn't like it I didn't have to eat there, in front of the owner. The owner just shrugged.
I went from being a daily customer for months to a no more customer at the snap of a finger.
I didn't go for almost 4 years even though I love their food.
When I finally did go back, the owner was oblivious as to why I stopped going, but at least the speakers were gone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bad Service/Attitude

I used to go to a well known restaurant in Cabrera... 1st name basis with the owner.
He attracted a good chef now/then but the locale was good - outside eating, etc.

it was BYOB... so we brought a bottle one night.
He asked for taste - we obliged.........

Terrible crap - he says - never buy that again....
What do we care ??? we think.

A bit later in the evening he arrives at our table with a tumbler - and says

You are such nice people - I'll help you out with that awful wine.
and proceeds to fill up his tumbler.

Sure as hell he sold it to another table.... or drank it (although his vice of choice is drugs)

We have never returned to that place..... years have passed.
Screw him...... I continue to think...

Hard to forgive bad service

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I used to go to a Provocon near my work almost on a daily basis. One day I went in and they had set up big speakers with music blasting.
I was the only one there, so I asked them to turn it down. The employee told me if I didn't like it I didn't have to eat there, in front of the owner. The owner just shrugged.
I went from being a daily customer for months to a no more customer at the snap of a finger.
I didn't go for almost 4 years even though I love their food.
When I finally did go back, the owner was oblivious as to why I stopped going, but at least the speakers were gone.

We used to stop there almost every time we returned from SD, but now that they opened the little bypass road that ends at your Zona Franca, we forget about it. How’s the lechon across the street from you?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We used to stop there almost every time we returned from SD, but now that they opened the little bypass road that ends at your Zona Franca, we forget about it. How’s the lechon across the street from you?

I like it! Cheap and really good too.

I'm not eating very much meat any more, but when I do, that's the place.

Better than Jumbo lechon!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Some people cant grasp this though, and will continue to BRAG bout what Big TIPPERS they are ... and then in another post ( not here, im speaking in general on other boards etc) in another post they will Complain and whine about how poor their service was, and how bad they were treated, and to boycott the place ,etc etc ..
Tipping large , especially if they dont even know you personally from previous trips , or through a Friends perhaps .. does NOT make you a Big shot in the DR.. it just makes you an even more Estupido Gringo .
Americans and their Big Tip/ big shot mindset ( which is actually more of an attempt to make all other People look CHEAP) .. you only foiling yourself .. next time you walk in there they wont even know who you are.
And in the specific example given ( and I salute the poster for sharing it ) ,, how dare a waiter ever assume such a Tip, in a Restaurant no less ? that guy has zero respect for you if he pulls that stunt.

Jul 28, 2014
Unfortunately I find, in poor countries, what you get is, "Ah, this guy is easy/loose with his money, and loaded, so let's rip him off even more"

The Cucu bar on Pedro Clisante is bad for that, they tack on extra items on your bar bill oping you are Boracho enough to just pay and walk out.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
The Cucu bar on Pedro Clisante is bad for that, they tack on extra items on your bar bill oping you are Boracho enough to just pay and walk out.
Pratinum Bar (the old el Flow) is good for that,the light skinned dude that works the tables outside will shake your hand and pretend to be the nicest guy and then f**ck you if he thinks he can get away with it.