EDENorte North Coast: Electricity Outages & Restoration Announcements

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just heard a bang and my power went out on at least part of CABT102 at 3:30 PM.

Current report number is 22454...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Part of CABT102 lost power with a blown fuse at RT 5 and La CIenaga at 10:40 AM.

Crew arrived there with a Cherry Picker replacing the fuse assembly from about 11:45 AM.

Power back on for now at 12:42 PM..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'd be willing to bet that the transformer is just too small for load requirement on that circuit. Transformers blow up all the time here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'd be willing to bet that the transformer is just too small for load requirement on that circuit. Transformers blow up all the time here.
It was a fuse that is on the main highway, RT5 on the corner of La Cienaga road, less than 50 yards from the ocean. Probably salt air corrosion of the contacts or an undersized fuse. Most likely cheap Chinese hardware. They replaced all four fuses that went south toward La Cienaga.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It was a fuse that is on the main highway, RT5 on the corner of La Cienaga road, less than 50 yards from the ocean. Probably salt air corrosion of the contacts or an undersized fuse. Most likely cheap Chinese hardware. They replaced all four fuses that went south toward La Cienaga.
I was thinking that maybe that, maybe because the transformer is too small, it is causing the fuse to blow(?). I wouldn't be surprised if they're cheap, undersized, salt corroded fuses, either. Maybe deliberately undersized fuses to protect the transformer instead of putting in higher-load transformers(?).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was thinking that maybe that, maybe because the transformer is too small, it is causing the fuse to blow(?). I wouldn't be surprised if they're cheap, undersized, salt corroded fuses, either. Maybe deliberately undersized fuses to protect the transformer instead of putting in higher-load transformers(?).
An up line transformer like the ones just installed in Sosua to handle more load, would not cause a fuse to blow. A down line transformer that was shorted out could cause a blown fuse. Such a transformer would be converting the high voltage to 110/220 Volts.
If the fuse was replaced, it would immediately blow out again and again until the faulty transformer was replaced.

This was not the situation. Most of the problems tend to come from the high voltages lines touching trees or corroded contacts in the fuses
that are unable to carry the load because they become high resistance and burn out. Cheap Chinese Crap fuses, probably.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
An up line transformer like the ones just installed in Sosua to handle more load, would not cause a fuse to blow. A down line transformer that was shorted out could cause a blown fuse. Such a transformer would be converting the high voltage to 110/220 Volts.
If the fuse was replaced, it would immediately blow out again and again until the faulty transformer was replaced.

This was not the situation. Most of the problems tend to come from the high voltages lines touching trees or corroded contacts in the fuses
that are unable to carry the load because they become high resistance and burn out. Cheap Chinese Crap fuses, probably.
There are definitely a lot of trees coming into contact with the power lines. They are constantly trimming them here but they grow back quickly - especially almond trees.